BAZMAK-Diary of a Myford ML7 lathe restoration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice little job today,making a neat/tidy but simple splashback from 2mm alum
and gives me something to hang my recently aquired lamp to
Sback 01.JPG
Sback 02.JPG

Stand is finally finished.Made and fitted a drawer when the new Myford nameplate arrived from UK
Splashback finished and everything looks really well. Owning this beautiful machine and LEEDS UTD
getting promoted to the premiership fulfills my bucket list.I can die a happy man.Current project is
making a taper turning attachment and almost ready to assemble to the lathe
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Hi Barry, it all lppks great but the taper turning attachment???

Since your lat posting, I have fitt ed an Alllendale Group DRO onto my Super7B PXF but using the bolt holes where a taper turning attachment might be fitted. Again, Not cheap at £439 but ideal for my failing eyesight.
Again, yesterday, I finally machined the back plate from ArcEurotrade at £ 24 with three holes for the Sieg 3 jaw chuck which has a set of soft jaws- ex Axminster Tools.

Used my G H Thomas small divising head to pop the necessary bolt holes.

This brings me to an interesting discovery. Some time back, I was at the last Doncaster Show and bought a little rotary table for about £20 but also a handful of tee nuts from RDG Tools. I'd discovered that they were tapped M5-- and thought no more about it as I had plenty of cheap M5 studding and nuts. They don't fit the slots on my lathe nor ' my accessories'

Apparently, per my 94 year old mate that there is an article in Model Engineers Workshop-- of which I haven't gpt

More Anon- perhaps- but best wishes

Normman

WOW, don't you even use that Lathe, no chips, no oil, put it in a glass case and sit with it and have your coffee/Tea with it each morning, that is a fine restoration and that is one lathe that I would like to have, I think they are so cute, I have several brands but here in the USA that is hard to come by, at least a distance for me to go and get it, I like to restore, have done a few and nothing like getting done and seeing possible better than factor care put in it, that is really nice, thanks for sharing, I saved the pictures to put in a file with different types of lathes and a folder for restored one, Love it, Joe

I have a chinese lathe and mill in my small dirty workshop so i dont have to get the Myford dirty
Its in the house so it means a big cleanup if i use it in anger.Its like having a vintage car in the garage
drive it out out on the drive to polish it then go shopping in the Toyota

I know what you mean, I restored a 12 Atlas, with all the tooling that come with one, its in a small air conditioned shop that is part of the car port I use it for light and neat jobs, spend more time cleaning than machining, in the big shop I am restoring a 21" South Bend with all the tooling that a fellow could buy, I found it in a non machine shop had been sitting there since 1959, some of the face plates are in the grease box had not been opened, I got it for 400.00 dollars, had to take it down to the bed to be able to lift if, no wear, just dead paint, I painted the pieces and I removed them so when the bed and apron is done I can put it to gather, been getting pics as I go, i might use it ?

Why dont you do a post lathe nut,i for one love machine restoration posts
With regard to your question mark on the taper turning attachment Norm
I have never owned one and havent used one since my apprentice school days
I dont have a need for one but got hold of the drawings and thought i would have a play
Just to keep me busy. The basics are finished and it is assembled on the lathe
works well with no binding.Just have some tweaking/improvements to do
Using the 3 1/4 bsf fixings to the lathe with 1/4" clear holes the assy was
parallel to the bed within 2 thou,more luck than good judgement. The slide locking pin
i hashed up from an M16 nut and bolt and when i am happy i will make a new one
with clamping handle with a single point screw cut 5/8 x 24tpi as per drg. The drawings go into detail
using a sine bar setup,but i think i will use graduations for approx angle and push/pull screw for fine setting
I am hoping to get it going with a video and set up for a morse taper.Which i will then dowel.Will keep you posted
04.JPG
05.JPG

Hi Barry
Congratulations on your taper turning attachment. Actually, I probably have the drawings too.
Unfortunately, I'm beset with two problems. One. is insurmountable whilst the other is simply onerous.
The onerous one is nothing more than the GH Thomas inverted rear parting tool- which I really like but second is tht the Allendale DRO utilises the fixing holes for the taper attachment to hold the magnetic longitudinal attachment - which links in with the cross slide one. Working with little room behind my lathe, I finally gave up the 'classic; way of doing iit and made an alignment jig. Such is the name of the game.
Fortunately, I live alone and am some distance from neighbours.

So the interesting news is a short and legal visit to collect some Quorn castings and a little 1/5th 2880 rpm motor by Jon of JCSteam for our good friend and associate BaronJ who is hopefully recovering from a hospital visit.
Meantime, I tidying up for the 'Royal' visitation;)

Regards to All

Norm

Last edited:
Why dont you do a post lathe nut,i for one love machine restoration posts
With regard to your question mark on the taper turning attachment Norm
I have never owned one and havent used one since my apprentice school days
I dont have a need for one but got hold of the drawings and thought i would have a play
Just to keep me busy. The basics are finished and it is assembled on the lathe
works well with no binding.Just have some tweaking/improvements to do
Using the 3 1/4 bsf fixings to the lathe with 1/4" clear holes the assy was
parallel to the bed within 2 thou,more luck than good judgement. The slide locking pin
i hashed up from an M16 nut and bolt and when i am happy i will make a new one
with clamping handle with a single point screw cut 5/8 x 24tpi as per drg. The drawings go into detail
using a sine bar setup,but i think i will use graduations for approx angle and push/pull screw for fine setting
I am hoping to get it going with a video and set up for a morse taper.Which i will then dowel.Will keep you postedView attachment 118801View attachment 118802

Very nicely done! A thought ... I don't know that there is room for it on this design, but something I have really appreciated on my (factory) taper attachment (for my Cincinnati TrayTop lathe) is a screw fine-adjustment - really helps to dial in the taper to just the right setting.

So the interesting news is a short and legal visit to collect some Quorn castings and a little 1/5th 2880 rpm motor by Jon of JCSteam for our good friend and associate BaronJ who is hopefully recovering from a hospital visit.
Meantime, I tidying up for the 'Royal' visitation;)

Regards to All

Norm

Hi Norman, Barry, Guys,

I'm back in Hospital again tomorrow ! Third time in three weeks, third covid19 test as well. Should be out Friday at some point, assuming that all goes well.

Anyway special thanks to Norman for his generosity and to Jon (JCsteam) for expediting the transfer of the bits.

Hi John( BaronB),
I hope that hospital goes well
I went into lockdown in February- after a Chinese Banquet and then a Masonic dinner- being hugged and kissed by all the ladies;) Then I was feeling weak, watery and full of 'flu for weeks after.
And got nowhere. Then I was told that I was in the highest risk category and , apart from a eye op. and a visit to the dentist( my front teeth went), I've been no where.
So I wish you well and hope that once you've been sorted out, the little motor and the castings prove useful.
Great Life is you don't weaken?

Take Care

Norm

Latest posts

Back