BAZMAK-Diary of a Myford ML7 lathe restoration

Help Support HMEM:

ozzyjoe

Reaction score
Lathe has arrived and i have done a part strip down to give it a good cleanup
2003 model with very little work,excerlent paintwork with a few chips to remedy
Next job is to make a stand and fit before reassembling.Its a heavy beast
First impressions very good.It has a 3 phase motor so i can fit a vfd or a new single phase motor
I may go with the latter to start so as to get it running soonerView attachment 117469View attachment 117467View attachment 117468
it must be a good drop, you are already a day older than us......According to your camera date!!!

ozzyjoe

Reaction score
Lathe has arrived and i have done a part strip down to give it a good cleanup
2003 model with very little work

She is a beauty......I am in love...…..you know that Will of yours? can we talk about it????? please install a vfd and keep the original motor on, with a good brand vfd you will have a very smooth control of the revs. Please don't sell this new baby .

Resized_20200412_152410_6710.jpeg
20200520_155500.jpg

bazmak

BAZMAK
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
where in Australia can i get a vfd. I want a small box for controls every thing i see
is large multiple control box units with cables everywhere as in your photos
I will go for it if i can a a simple to wire compact control unit

goldstar31

Reaction score
where in Australia can i get a vfd. I want a small box for controls every thing i see
I believe that you had a 'Yorkshire' connection so I would mention that a unit weighs less than a pound.
Howverm years ago I bought a unit suit suitable for a myford and added a three phase motor-- and it doesn't work now.
Importantly, a year or two back I took it( the unit) to a Model Engineering Show to see whether the single exhibitor of such things would either comment or repair it. Frankly, I got the 'Bum's Rush' and was simply offered a new one.

Recently, I bought a Super7B with PXF but found that the wiring caused shorts. I was helped here- thanks Baron J, but it ended up being repaired locally with new wiring harness etc for the low price of £60 or £70.

So, I don't know but a new vfd will be easy and light to post and not incur British taxes. If that is the way that you want to go.
ME???????- well let's say politely, I have. a spare single phase motor-- which works.

Best of Luck

Norm

deverett

deverett
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Following on from Norm's posting, 2 well known suppliers of vfds in the UK are

Newton Tesla (which I have used and am completely happy with)
and
Transwave Transwave Converters

There are 350 vfds for sale on eBay UK at the moment.
No doubt there are other suppliers from other parts of the world.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

jack620

Reaction score

ozzyjoe

Reaction score
Don't warry about all the boxes and wires in my photo,they are for looks only.
The VFD is the first box on the left , it is a company from the UK and they main depo for AU is here in Sydney.
1 Wire in and 1 wire out,start-stop ,forward -reverse, speed control all in one control panel.
If you want a cheaper version (made in china)there is a local eBay reseller that has some for a good price at the moment, but I have to buy one and test it before recommending it to you.

ozzyjoe

Reaction score
20200701_063301.jpg

My first speed control box, it was more than $150 for parts back then,now you can buy a vfd for $98 on eBay.

Latest posts