anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would like be in the teambuild. i have to say though i have only limited tools to make parts. im just a beginner in model engine building. i can make simple parts though, or supply round stock for crankshaft and such. so maybe a easier engine would be better, up to you all to decide. ask me anything bout what i could make.
Pascal

Any other ideas on what to build? Engines mentioned so far are Rudys radial 5 although a three cylinder
seems favored, Elmers #11, Chuck Fellows radial ( no plans so far, but maybe if we beg). There is also a
potty 3 cyl. in the downloads section. As these engines have considerably more parts then previous
team builds, a few more team members may be necessary. Following Tin Falcons post, this may be slightly
ahead of sequence but is something to think about.

Regards,
Mike

I've thought about this a bit and I think for a team build you would want drawings that are tried and true, especially for something as complicated as a radial. Keep in mind that I've only built the one engine and I kind of made it up as I went along. I'm not a draftsman and I would be making the drawings from the completed engine. While any drawings I provide might be OK for a single person building the engine, I would not recommend trying a team build from them.

Thx for the consideration...
Chuck

Chuck, if you do make the plans available, I for one would be interested, I really liked the original version with the push rods and all.
John

The potty 3cyl looks to be quite nice.
What do others think,suggest??

So so far we got...

chrispare..ontario
stevehuckss396.. MI USA
maverick.. ??
rleete..NY USA
aermotor8..??
path..??
dalem9..??
Plus.. pcw in the Netherlands, and T_ottoboni in Brazil
joe d... montreal Ont.

Hi

If you are short-handed and need another player I would be happy to join up! I've participated in three team build here,
one worked great, one took ages to get the parts done and out to the team (and I still haven't got that one running...)
and one the IC build that petered out... (I've got 16 mostly complete governor assy's for Kerzel hit&miss engines..
that could keep me building for a long time!). Being an eternal optimist, I'm ready to go again.

Cheers, Joe

Chrispare,

I finally found the plans for the Potty Three Cylinder Radial, by Stewart Hart.

Looks good and there is one being built by TuxMan at
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=14321.msg147433#msg147433
so we can follow along as we build.

So I vote for this one. However, the others look good also. :)

The plans are in Metric ... so do we convert? If so maybe we can find those plans
or I will consider converting (if there is a checker) in Solidworks.

Other considerations?

Pat H.

Pats observations are good. The potty 3 cyl. does look nice and the drawings are well done. With 9 people showing interest, it should break up the work nicely.

"Re: anyone interested in a radial team build"

Not until I get rid of the day job :(

I'd be interested to know how the logistics work though...

I did start the design of a three cylinder radial 4 stroke glo motor, that's something else on the to do list! Mind you it is pretty ugly compared to some of the engines here...

Steve

An interesting bit of information about the potty 3 cyl. According to the builders notes on the drawing,
most of the metric dimensions given convert to imperial fraction sizes. This should simplify things a bit.

Mike

I think the best way to do this is to have someone convert all the parts and make new drawings. Alot of work but it could be done.

Is there something else out there already in imperial.

Elmers #11 is in imperial but would need some creative liberty to the cylinder builder to spiff the up some.

I know this was mentioned before but one way of transposing (not converting) is make 1mm equal to 1/16 which effectively scales up a bit or equal 1/32 witch makes a smaller engine. the nice thing about this method is stock size comes out even.
Just a thought. Someone would have to transpose hardware to get everyone on the same page.
Tin

I just looked at the roster and noticed that some are from Canada and possibly other parts of the world. The dimensions on the print may be native to some builders. The way I see it is the US builders can just suck it up and work in mm's for this one. Should'nt be a big deal because my measuring devices have a little button that changes to metric. I'm all in on the Potty.

Can I make the master and slave rods? How many units are we making?

Steve it looks like there would be 10 but that is not comfirmed so we need a show of NAMES (Im not sure of the format of team builds but do we build an extra one to donate for shows)

I dont have any problem of you doing the rods.
As I would like to do the bearing housing with bearings (I can source them out pretty cheap) If that is ok with everyone.

Also who are we appointing team captain on this one??

chris

Oh one more thing,, with the digital world now I myself can work in both metric and standard.

Although we use metric in Brazil, I have no problem converting inches to mm and making parts as close as possible to inches dimmensions! ;)
What I think it is important is to decide one plan and stick with it, no matter if imperial or metric. Also I vote for Potty too! A very nice engine!

Chris....

Looks like you have been chosen. ;)

I would like to make the drawings ... in Solidworks with dual dimensions.
Metric would the primary units with imperial second. That would gives the best of both worlds.
If okay I will start today with the Item 18 - Crank Case (I see there is already a small issue with it! :-[)

I'm thinking about doing the #4-Cylinders with #7-Liners and #9-Pistons (since close mating issues).

Pat H.

Back