anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do we build an extra one to donate for shows)
If you look through the older TB posts you will see the basics.
TB one the idea was one extra for show and one to auction to benefit a charity.
we ended up with only one extra because one guy had to quit for heath reasons we decided all who helped buid deserved and engine.
So figure one extra if someone has a good reason to bow out than all are covered all all who start complete the task then the team decides how to hand the spare engine.
Tin

Path if making the drawings in solidworks will not be much of a problem then go for it,Im sure it would be appreated.

chrispare..ontario ........................bearing housing with bearings #13,#14,#15 spacer
stevehuckss396.. MI USA.............con rods #2,#17
maverick..colorado,usa.................#10 flywheel #11 nut #12 collett
rleete..NY USA
aermotor8..??
path..usa...................................#6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons
dalem9..??.................................#4 cylinder head #5 cylinder boss #3 air tubes
pcw in the Netherlands.................wood bases #24 studs,nits,screws
T_ottoboni in Brazil......................#1 steam chest cover #20 steam chest
joe d... montreal Ont.....................#21port flange#22 orbital valve #23 breather

If all want in thats 11 engines, with one extra for shows.

So we need someone for parts.
#6 cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons (need 3 people)
#16 cankshaft #19 return crank
#18 crankcase

That sound about right???

Chris ...

Almost right ...

I was starting the drawing for #18 Crank Case.

Building #4 Cylinder, #7 Liners and possibly #9 Pistons.

Pat H.

You may want to do the cylinders and pistons in sets. then have three guys do them. so each guy is doing 11 each piston/cylinder .
tin

Tin,

Agreed ... I was thinking about making them in sets of three.
I would make say 3 sets (9 total for 3 Radials), someone else would do some similar.

But we will have to be in close contact with the Crank Case and Main Bearing builders
due to the tight mounting and other issues.

It's late so I gotta go ...

Pat H.

dalem9 said:
How do I sine up for the part I am to make Dale

You just let me know what it is you want to do (if its not taken)

chris

Hi Guys

Its a great surprise and honer that you've chosen the potty three cylinder for a team build, I wish you all a great success.

By way of background to the engine, its based on Edger T Westbury's Cygnet Royal Engine, you can still buy casting kits for his engine. I did a fair bit of redesign:- cylinders, crank, crankcase, con rods and a few more bits to make it look more interesting and easy-er to make from bar stock.

Room is tight in the crank case so you'll have to be careful to work on the plus side.

I also used cast iron for the cylinder liners and pistons you may change it to steel and aluminium without any effect on function.

I don't really know how team builds work, particularly with interfacing the parts together what with the mix of people with different levels of skill and equipment, so could I suggest that the screwed holes for fixing the parts together are left unmachined, so that that can be drilled through on final assembly that way you won't have a problem with holes lining up.

Ther's a complete build log on madmodder at http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2317.0

I also had the build published in Model Engineer Vol 206 No 4397

I'll be sending PatH my drawings so he can do his convertion thing.

I will be more than happy to help with problems just give me a PM

Sound like a fun project

I hope you all enjoy it

Cheers

Stew

sbwhart said:
could I suggest that the screwed holes for fixing the parts together are left unmachined, so that that can be drilled through on final assembly that way you won't have a problem with holes lining up.

I would rather the drawings have dimensions with tolerances. I think an important part of this build would be for the part maker to finish the entire part to plan, to make the part to size and within tolerance. If the person who makes the crankcase hits his numbers and the person who makes the front cover hits his number, the parts will fit.

The point of the team build is to have a person concentrate on making a part to spec. The person makes multiples of the same part so it is much easier to get them within tolerance. The reward is a running engine of your own.

I think all parts should be finished 100%

Can I be in charge of making parts #1 steam chest cover #20 steam chest?
If you guys think #1 and #20 is too little job for one person, I can make more parts, no problem!

Hello all,
I'd like to do #10-flywheel, #11-nut and #12-collet. I agree with steve in that the parts should be finished as
much as possible. Makers of tightly fitting parts may have to compare notes for best results.
Chrispare- I have added my location to my posts. Elizabeth, Colorado is on the high plains SE of Denver.
I also have good milling capability and could take on another part or two if needed.

Regards,
Mike

T_ottoboni, if you would like to take more We will need 3 members to #6 cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons.

I agree with Steve that all parts should be completed. Of course there will have to be some comunication between members (thats how friendships begin)

Mike(maveric) also if you would like to take on more go for it

( who was going to do the crankcase? )

chris

Chris,
I'll let the rest of the team members pick thier parts and see what else needs done. As to the cylinders,
note 1. on the drawing says the cast iron liner can be dispenced with using an unlined aluminum cylinder.
This would save some work and should run fine. Just a thought.

Regards,
Mike

P.S. Thanks for driving the bus, a karma point for you.

Latest posts

Back