anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as all the cylinders are made the same it dosnt need to be cast

Chris

I'll do #s 21,22, & 23. I'm not equipped for screw cutting, so studs & nuts would have to be
done with a tap & die, which I can do if we're converting to non-metric....

Joe

Could the cylinder liners be made with trunk shocks tube? They're pretty smoth ans polished inside, and the one I have here are 16mm inside. I believe that would be possible to get more of the same dimension.

what i can make. let me think. oak wood base plate with hand engaved serie number on brass plate? throw in all needed nuts and bolts?
my machining skills are limited at the moment. mini lathe i have is still not in working order :(
Pascal

maverick said:
note 1. on the drawing says the cast iron liner can be dispenced with using an unlined aluminum cylinder.
This would save some work and should run fine. Just a thought.

If the piston is aluminum an unlined cylinder would be a bad idea. The cylinders for TB4 had a brass tube pressed into the bore for an aluminum piston. Maybe a liner from some 12L14 would be a good idea.

stevehuckss396 said:
If the piston is aluminum an unlined cylinder would be a bad idea. The cylinders for TB4 had a brass tube pressed into the bore for an aluminum piston. Maybe a liner from some 12L14 would be a good idea.

I do agree with the alum on alum is bad

pcw said:
what i can make. let me think. oak wood base plate with hand engaved serie number on brass plate? throw in all needed nuts and bolts?
my machining skills are limited at the moment. mini lathe i have is still not in working order :(
Pascal

You got it, and hope you get that lathe fixed. Its no good just sitin there.

how many baseplates, what size and how many bolts and nuts in total? and ill go get to it to make the bases and get enough bolts and nuts to send out.
what text prefered on tagplate? serie numbers?
Pascal

pcw said:
how many baseplates, what size and how many bolts and nuts in total? and ill go get to it to make the bases and get enough bolts and nuts to send out.
what text prefered on tagplate? serie numbers?
Pascal

The plans call for, M3 dome nuts and washers(36), M3 studding (12in)
so mutiply that by the number if engines thats what we need.

As for the bases< I dont know about anyone else but I am good with whatever you decide.

We need ti give it a few more days do see how many members we got on this build and then we can get on our way.

Chris

we are going to build one extra for auction right? thinking of making sort of certificate for that one with names of all builders? just an idea maybe.
i'll get all nuts, washers and enough threaded rod for all engines than, least i can do since i cannot realy machine something at the moment. so that will all be covered.
Pascal

pcw said:
how many baseplates, what size and

My base is 130mm * 120mm * 18mm

Stew

Do we have enough people to make this build work?

If so, I think we just need a list of who is in, what each is making, and a count of how many engines we are making. As soon as that is settled I will start collecting the materials and start making parts.

stevehuckss396 said:
Do we have enough people to make this build work?

If so, I think we just need a list of who is in, what each is making, and a count of how many engines we are making. As soon as that is settled I will start collecting the materials and start making parts.

just waiting for rleete..NY USA aermotor8..?? to comfirm, lets give them a few days then we'll figure out what still needs to be done.

So far this is what we got...

chrispare..ontario ........................bearing housing with bearings #13,#14,#15 spacer
stevehuckss396.. MI USA.............#18 crankcase
maverick..colorado,usa.................#10 flywheel #11 nut #12 collett, con rods #2,#17
path..usa...................................#6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons
dalem9..??.................................#4 cylinder head #5 cylinder boss #3 air tubes
pcw in the Netherlands.................wood bases #24 studs,nits,screws
T_ottoboni in Brazil......................#1 steam chest cover #6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons
joe d... montreal Ont.....................#20 steam chest #21port flange#22 orbital valve

If all want in thats 11 engines, with one extra for shows.

So we need someone for parts.
#6 cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons (need 1 more member)
#16 cankshaft #19 return crank
#23 breather

chris

Looking good Chris . Just remember to remind folks how many copies of each part they need to make. and most people make a couple extra just make sure they get enough good ones.
Tin

I was figuring on 12 engines (10 members ,1 for HMEM and 1 for auction)
I know it is alot of work and if it is too much we can cut off the auction one.

chris

chrispare said:
I was figuring on 12 engines (10 members ,1 for HMEM and 1 for auction)
I know it is alot of work and if it is too much we can cut off the auction one.

chris

TB4 we let HMEM show it for a year at shows and then auction it. If that happens you can put on extra bodys and we make 14. Does that sound right?

Update on drawings and other issues ..

I'm almost finished #18 Crank Case drawing.

I had a few questions so I emailed Stewart and he was very helpful.

We need to decide what to use for the M2 & M3 screws. Finding the matching metric screws
and taps with the same pitch may be a bit of a problem. Taps are in the $15 and up range.

So we should consider using 2-56 and 4-48, if someone will look into this so I can get back
on the drawings I sure would appreciate it. I haven't look into "8BA" thing yet. Once a decision is made
I can change the drawings.

Also, Stewart suggested that we use long screws (cut the heads off) as they are much cheaper than the rods.

Does anyone know Solidworks? I'm having a little trouble with some of the views.

The next drawing will be item #14 Main Bearing Housing this should be much easier and
will start the assembly process.

Later,

Pat H.

I know a little in solidworks, post or pm what you are having troubles with.

Path said:
Update on drawings and other issues ..

I'm almost finished #18 Crank Case drawing.

I had a few questions so I emailed Stewart and he was very helpful.

We need to decide what to use for the M2 & M3 screws. Finding the matching metric screws
and taps with the same pitch may be a bit of a problem. Taps are in the $15 and up range.

So we should consider using 2-56 and 4-48, if someone will look into this so I can get back
on the drawings I sure would appreciate it. I haven't look into "8BA" thing yet. Once a decision is made
I can change the drawings.

Also, Stewart suggested that we use long screws (cut the heads off) as they are much cheaper than the rods.

Does anyone know Solidworks? I'm having a little trouble with some of the views.

The next drawing will be item #14 Main Bearing Housing this should be much easier and
will start the assembly process.

Later,

Pat H.

Hi Pat, I can help you a little with solidworks. PM me with anything you want!
Since I'm doing parts 20 and 21, I can drill the parts for either imperial or metric (they don't have any threads on them). So feel free to draw the plans with the best choice for the others to build ( We don't want a guy to buy a set of taps just to build one model)

About the liners: Could I use trunk shocks for them? They're perfect for this (chrome inside and 16mm bore), and i can buy many of them, so I could be one of the 3 person needed for cylinders, liners and pistons (i could do 12 of each, in total of 4 groups of cylinders)!

Back