anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat on the cylinder liner part # 7 the inside dia. is 15.88 mm .Then on the cylinder head part #4 the insert has a 15 mm Dia.too, seeing that we are not going to be able to test fit there parts should I not make this smaller and if so by how much. Thanks for your time Dale

dalem9 said:
Chris What is the final number of engines we are going to build ?Thanks Dale

chrispare..ontario .....................bearing housing with bearings #13,#14,#15 spacer
Dtanner...............................#18 crankcase
maverick..colorado,usa............#10 flywheel #11 nut #12 collett, con rods #2,#17
path..usa.............................#6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons
dalem9..??............................#4 cylinder head #5 cylinder boss #3 air tubes
pcw in the Netherlands...........wood bases #24 studs,nits,screws
T_ottoboni in Brazil................#1 steam chest cover #6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons
joe d... montreal Ont...............#20 steam chest #21port flange#22 orbital valve
warrantor.............................crankshaft and return crank

so we are doing 10 engines.

Dale,

In this case I don't think it will matter. The piston does not reach that location, in fact it's about 4mm
lower when at TDC. There is no tight fit required. So I would change the Cylinder Boss diameter to 15.87mm, I will do that in the drawing now.
If it turns out that it won't fit it would be easy for the builder to file away a little or turn down the liner
.02mm or so at that inside edge.

Thanks for the question,

Pat H

Dale,

How about 15.85mm (.03mm)? If you are less than 15.85 that will be okay. ;)

Pat

sounds good there is also no mearsure for the lower bolt holes down from the center line in the head part #4 ,unless you have caught that on the new plams Dale

Path said:
Steve ...

Since you are machine the Crankcase I thought you might answer the following:

Hate to do this to you guy's but i'm out of the build. I have been working 2 hours from home and just found out today that i'm up there for 8 to 10 weeks longer. With driving 4 hours a day and working 10 that leaves me no time for anything. The job was supposed to end today and I thought life would resume normal hours. This stinks because I really like these team builds.

Again I'm really sorry.

just sent him a pm hope he sees it

Thats too bad steve but work has got to come first i guess..
Hopefully you can get in on the next one

Good news dtanner is going to take steves place, so welcome.

Path how are those plans coming along?

Chris

Welcome to the team dtanner.
Pat, I'm ready to make the con-rods. Can I use the original plans or will the new plans be different. I am already
changing the big end bushing OD from 10mm to 3/8 inch due to available stock. Of course the ID will remain the same.
I plan to ream the little end ID to .001 clearance on the 4mm wrist pin. I'm watching my grandson this weekend,
so no chips till Monday. Thanks for all the work on the drawings, the steam chest drawing looks great.

Regards,
Mike

Chris ...

Drawing update ...

Ready to do the PDF conversion then upload to site.
This should take place Saturday or Sunday. :)

Murphy has only caused a few delays but I'm stilling moving forward.

Dtanner ... welcome to the team. There has been a few Crankcase drawing changes.
Mainly opening a few holes a little.
Have you had a chance to read through these posts? There are few questions about the
Crankcase that needs to be answered. And then the drawing will be updated. I still plan on
uploading them this weekend and then make changes as needed.

Mike ...
Great to hear about your changes ... any thoughts on the Crank Shaft end?

Pat H.

Pat,
The crankshaft (big) end will be reamed to .251 or one thou clearance on the 6.35mm crank throw.
Luckily, I have about 50 .251 reamers that were in a auction lot. Just have to find the sharp ones.
Looking forward to seeing the drawings. I've done a lot of CAM work but my CAD drawings all look like
the wrong way example in the book.

Mike

HI all :) Yea I done my best to read through all the posts looks like iwill be a little behind by the time I get to see the prints but that is okay. If all goes well I should get about 5 hours a day to work on this crankcase. So we are doing this is metric ::) not done alot of metric work but all of our DRO's have both so I should be ok and so do my hand tools.

I have looked at the part in the few vids that I have seen and it does not appear to be difficult just time consumming but fun I love a challenge. :)

Drawing update...

The drawings are available in PDF format. :)

Still working on:
3000 Top assembly
3008 3011 M8 Nut (simple)
3013 Bearings (just a copy of an existing drawing like McMaster)
Added 3023 Breather
3024 Nut & Washers etc (haven't figure out how to do this yet ... even if required)

The 3000 is almost done so it will be first, then M8, Bearings.

I been having some difficulty in learning how to upload the pdfs so for now
PM me and I will send them. But I guess I need your email address. :D :D

I will also send a copy of Stew's pdf so that you can compare them if needed.

As you report changes I will update the drawing and post when they are ready.
Some drawing still have fit issues that I thought I would leave until later.

But the Crank Case (3018) has been adjusted.
Still need the thread sizes that will be used.

That's it for now.

Pat H.

Latest posts

Back