anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat, I had a chance to look at the drawings, they are well done you must of put in some time on them.

I will hopefully get some shop time in tonight and put them to use.

Very well done and thanky you

Chris ...

Thanks ...it was a lot of work, but I learned a lot about SW and Stewart's Radial.

I have drawings 3000, 3011, 3013 and 3023 nearly done so I will be e-mailing those today.

Hope to get to my assignment this week. :)

Pat

Well I hope its so quies in here because were all horking hard?

I have got out in the shop for a few hours the last few days, I have 10 blanks cut and am starting to turn down to sizes. Its gonna be a buisy week over here but I am going to try to get some me time and work on them some more.

How is everyone else doing?
Any problems?

Chris

Well,

I'm still waiting for the brown truck to show up with the material I had to order.... it's allegedly in Concord, Ontario as of yesterday
and should be at my door Tuesday AM. At least, got to tidy up the shop a little, and make the Boss happy by cutting the grass.

Joe

Well When you are the busiest every thing goes wrong .Bearing went out of my mill .There was no way to lub. them .So I put in the new bearings and added a grease fitting , should worked great right ,wrong I filled the cavity with the grease and when I turned the machine on ,the lower bearing sucked out the grease and throw it erery were, yea everywere ,so I made a holder for a seal and put it all together,we will see if everything works in the morning.then maybe I can get some parts made for us . Night all Dale

Sounds like the headstock bearing on my 11 inch delta lathe, I watched a line of grease form on the wall behind it
before I noticed the line forming on my shirt. I hope the seal sorts it out.

Regards,
Mike

Got the Aluminum for the crankcases today will start makinging the blanks tomarrow. Will take some pictures along the way to show my progress. Was hoping my instructors would find another person to do the pick up work that we get in from the public, well was hoping ;D. Will try to give some kind of timeline by next week.

Dan

Well back to making chips , what a battle ,Grease seals make a lot of heat rubbing on the shaft.Guess I'am going to just have to deal with it .Finely got all the grease cleaned up .I will be ready to make heads tommrow,if nothing else goes wrong . Night All. Dale

So I have been working a little on my parts,making some progress but having alot of trouble with my lathe.

Hi guys...

I'm very happy to report that I started making parts today!

I'll keep you all advised as they progress.

Cheers, Joe

Hello Team,
Con rod bushings are finished and will be final reamed after press fitting in place.
Master rods in progress, slave rods to follow. I thought about doing them all at once, but decided
to do masters first as they are easier, symmetrical and lower quantity. The process will be well refined
for the second batch. Material for the flywheels is on hand and will have to wait for the rods.
Thanks to all for the updates and the added incentive they bring.

Regards,
Mike

I have the job of making the crank shaft. Does anybody have any objection to me making the crank in 2 pieces? I will make the main part of the crank first and then make the crank pin second and then press them together, I will then mill the flats.

Warranator,

My two concerns ... would the two pieces be parallel and stay together?

Pat

Path said:
Warranator,

My two concerns ... would the two pieces be parallel and stay together?

Pat

Making the crank in one peice can be a real son of a B**** I know some one who did it thats why I went for the two piece if you make a little sleave to it on the crank with a hole through it to fit the pin, and press in through the hole it will go together square.

Stew

In part #1 Steam Chest Cover, the 1/4" - 36TPI really need to be this thread? It's been a pain to find this tap here!
I could use MF6 (6mm x 0,5mm) or (6mm x 0,75mm) or even 1/4" - 28TPI
What do you guys think?

And what finish do you want in them? Sandblasted or mirror polished? ;D

I will play around with technics to make sure the pin is pressed in straight.

I might even spot weld it after pressing in, will have to see if it distorts anything, i can grind the weld
clean afterwards, will do some experimenting.

t_ottoboni said:
In part #1 Steam Chest Cover, the 1/4" - 36TPI really need to be this thread? It's been a pain to find this tap here!
I could use MF6 (6mm x 0,5mm) or (6mm x 0,75mm) or even 1/4" - 28TPI
What do you guys think?

And what finish do you want in them? Sandblasted or mirror polished? ;D

As to that 1/4 -36..... I'd be happy if we could change it to 1/4-28 , and the same on part #20, the steam chest
then the inlet and outlet would have the same thread. (As I am having no luck sourcing a 1/4 - 36 ME tap locally....)

Opinions?

Joe

Hi all, Heads are all machined ,will sand and polished in the next day or two.It has been a real battle for me .but I have learned alot. As I said I have not had any training ,but high school metal shop. Tell later Dale

Latest posts

Back