Another Nutty Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
Well, after seeing the engine that Kactiguy built, I decided that I would build one myself. After a little bout with some self induced stupidity ::), here is what I cobbled up.

It is a pretty good runner. Unfortunately, I don't have a video of it, yet. When I get the base done, I will post additional pictures and a video as well.

100_0449.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0451.jpg

I haven't finished the base for the little guy yet, but will mount it on a piece of stained oak. It certainly was a fun easy build.

I like it!!! Good job there! Dang! Another project on my to do list:O)

Wes

Wahoo! That's a mighty fine Nutty! I like the bottom nut support. Nice touch. I also like your flywheel. I think that is closer to what I had in mind when I built mine, but I just went with what I had on hand. Can't wait to see it running. I'm kinda floored that somebody else is building one. It's kind of cool.

Would it be possible to get the plans from you fellows, that little engine looks nuts to build, you fellows are good and have fun doing it, thanks, have a great day, Lathe Nut

That is a cool looking engine. Can't wait to see it run too.

Thanks for all of the kind comments!

Kactiguy said:
Wahoo! That's a mighty fine Nutty! I like the bottom nut support. Nice touch. I also like your flywheel. I think that is closer to what I had in mind when I built mine, but I just went with what I had on hand. Can't wait to see it running. I'm kinda floored that somebody else is building one. It's kind of cool.

Kactiguy, thanks for sharing your example in the previous thread. Without it, this one would have never been built. I do not have the imagination to come up with a design this unique. I did take the liberty to do a couple of things different, but all in all it is based solely on yours.

And beyond that, I don't understand why you would be surprised that others are building the "Nutty". IMHO, the engine has a very interesting appearance, it is a quick and easy build, and it uses inexpensive and readily available materials. All in all, it has everything going for it. I really like it!!

lathe nut said:
Would it be possible to get the plans from you fellows, that little engine looks nuts to build, you fellows are good and have fun doing it, thanks, have a great day, Lathe Nut

lathe nut, unfortunately, there aren't any drawings that I am aware of. Kactiguy may have some, or may know of a source. Mine was built with items I had on hand using measurements made on the fly with "napkin" calculations. The two areas of tightest tolerance at the piston and cylider, the port locations, and in my design the press fits. Beyond that, it is a very forgiving design. Matter of fact, other than the press fits, my port locations were "eyeballed" and it runs fine.

And now to get the base done and some video posted! Stay tuned.....

Same here Lathe nut. I built mine using whatever I could find lying around. If I find some time I could do a few sketches and post them.

Kactiguy, Wareagle, that is so neat, guess that is what is called down to the nuts and bolts, I got the stuff to make it in the shop but not sure on the distance between the passages, that has also something to do with the stroke also, I printed the pictures will do some looking to, thanks again, have a good one, Lathe Nut

lathe nut, the passages need to be at least the same distance apart as the diameter of the passage. If your passages are .125 in diameter, then you should have at least .125 between the inlet and outlet passage. They can be farther apart, depending on the stroke, but not by much. If the passages are too close together, then the pressure will bleed accross as the cylinder makes its swing. This most likely won't keep it from running, but it will affect the performance.

As far as figuring the swing on the crank, I measured the length of the cylinder and set the stroke to that length. Stating the obvious here, but if your stoke is 1.000", then your crank pin will be .500" from the centerline of the crankshaft. The stroke on my engine worked out to be .940".

The other way to get it to come together is to get a bolt head like Kactiguy did, and measure the stroke there, then figure your pivot point based on that. Same principle as above.

After that was done, I made the calculation to where the pivot point needed to be to make the combination work. My aim was to have the cylinder passage swing past the inlet/outlet passage by about a third of the passage diameter. It is a little backwoods engineering I know, but it worked great. Like I said before, this thing was made on the fly.

You want backwoods engineering? I just drilled my inlet and outlet holes, and the cylinder hole, close to where I thought they should be. Then I just adjusted the nut that the flywheel axle passes through in or out to the distance that the holes all lined up properly. Once the distance was correct, I soldered the nut in place and drilled the hole for the axle. I pretty much eyeballed the whole thing. Whatever I did, it worked great.

Thanks fellows for the help, I printed the pictures and the notes that you sent on the board and will build one soon as I can in the shop to play, its bad when a man's job hours takes away from the shop play time, but got to do what I got to do, thanks again, sure love this group, you all sure are good, thanks, Lathe Nut

Here is a quick drawing I did of the engine. Not terribly helpful as far as dimensions go, but who knows, it might help a little. Good luck on your engine Lug.
Nuttydrawing.jpg

Great Job Guy! I really like your Art work.

I wonder if anyone would notice if I built one of those at work:O)?

Wes

Yeah! I second the artwork! I would like to see you do some steampunk stuff... I think your talent would really blow that genre away.

Eric

Kactiguy, thanks for the drawing, that really put a visual picture to what is going on, thanks so much for the time that is took to share with us, not counting the thinking in your mind and building time, thanks so much, Lahte Nut

Very cool engine indeed!
;D

What did you end up using as material for the piston?

WOW !! That is such a neat and unique and clever and creative and, and, and ..... _____ fill in the blank yourself :D ;D

Just added that to my list of engines to build, which is starting to get pretty long :D Sweet !!

Mr.Myford said:
Very cool engine indeed!
;D

What did you end up using as material for the piston?

I wound up using brass for the piston. This arrangement has worked out fine so far. The steel on steel didn't work out too well. ::) Unfortunately Fortunately I haven't had time in the shop due to a vaction getting in the way, but I will finish the base this week and get a video of it running up here. 'till then.....

Kactiguy/wareagle - do you have some basic dimensions for this engine ? Like what size bolts you used for the various parts ? Just some basics, bolt/nut size/lens. Is that a nut used for the flywheel or a "nut" you created for the effect ? Is the center disk inside that nut just press fit, or did you weld it in there ?

Think I'll build one in my shop class, it'll surely generate a lot of interest :D

Thanks !
Mike

Latest posts

Back