Another Nutty Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Choochoomike, the bolts I used are 5/8" diameter bolts, but I will have to get you the length tomorrow. The flywheel on my example is a nut that was cut in half and faced. The threads were machined out and an aluminum disk was press fit inside the fly"nut". The crankshaft was also a press fit on my unit. The crank shaft is made from 1/4" drill rod. The piston was made out of brass and the diameter is .475 IIRC, the connecting rod out of 8x32 all thread, and the crank pin is a tap (6x32) that was cut to length and pressed into the crank disk. The connecting rod end "crank side" just floats on the crank pin. As far as placement of the ports, pivot, and crank shaft, I played with the items I had on hand until I had a happy medium with the dimensions.

No drawings for my example, but Kactiguy may have some drawn up. If not, I can whip you up a set fairly easily if you wish.

My engine is not balanced very well. In fact, not at all. It runs great, but as RPMs increase, it gets to vibrating a lot. This one I didn't build for balance, but just as a conversation piece. When I get a few more things caught up, i am going to finish the base for it and get a video put up here.

wareagle said:
No drawings for my example, but Kactiguy may have some drawn up. If not, I can whip you up a set fairly easily if you wish.

Kactiguy did a nice hand drawn set of plans, but no dimensions. That'd be great if you could do a simple drawing set with basic dimensions. I'm sure others would love that too !! :D

Mike

Wareagle, Mike,
My little engine comes apart pretty easily so I thought I'd take a few photos of it in pieces. The mat that it is on has 1 inch squares. Maybe it'll help somebody who is trying to build their own.
IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

My nutty is about 80% done...

Nutty%201.jpg

Nutty%202.jpg

Getting there... haven't touched it in a few weeks tho. I am going to redo some things I am not happy with.

Eric

Back