Another Jan Ridders Flame Eater

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really didn't know what to make to raise the bearing blocks, I just knew I didn't fancy turning 4 columns to balance them on! ::)
All I could think of was this:

_IGP4320.jpg

Not too elegant but it should be nice and solid. ;D
Just a few holes to drill and tap and it's nearly done. Should I fix the flywheel housing so that the piston is flush with the edge of the cylinder when the crank is at it's extreme horizontal position or? :noidea:

Vic.

If you have made things to the right dimensions, cylinder, conrod & piston, plus put the mounting bolts into the correct position for the cylinder, then it is an easy job to calculate out the distance from the centre of the flywheel to the cylinder mounting bolts from the plans. I think on mine, I made the holes in the baseplate for the cylinder mounting columns very slightly elongated (about 1mm), just to give me a bit of fiddle factor if needed.

That is one of the advantages when making something like this, if you keep all the original datums in their original positions, you can basically make ancillaries look however you want them.

Yours is looking very nice indeed.

Bogs

Thanks Bogs, I'll have a close look at the plans. I kept the important parts to spec - cylinder, piston, valve, conrod and crank. Some other parts were determined by stock availability - the flywheel is slightly smaller in diameter for example. I think if I'm lucky I may be able to clamp the flywheel housing in place for testing before final fixing.

Vic.

Sweet! With all that you've got left to do we should see videos of it running by end of the weekend! ;D

Lookin Awesome VIc!!

The finish you have is amazing. Such sharp lines and very smooth, Damn.

What media are you using in your blast cabinet?

Kel

Vic,

I love the finish and the bearing supports / housings. :bow:

I think the piston does come to the end according to plans, but the correct position is when it's in the other horizontal extreme (TDC) the pip on the piston should be at the extreme edge of the port - i.e. to fully open the valve.

Looking forward to starting attempts, I think it'll be ok! You need a burner first though haha, pay special attention to the flame / wick position and if you can get a large wick like Jan suggested, my wick is a much smaller diameter - thought nothing of it at the time but I think it has a big effect.

Nick

Thanks guys, I think it's looking quite good now I've got used to it.

Kel, I think it's 60-80 grit: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...de-powder-2/path/parts-washers-blast-cabinets But not absolutely sure, it could have been the finer stuff. I don't change the grit very often so it gradually gets finer anyway :-\

I didn't want everything to be the same though so although I've blasted the middle part of the flywheel I've polished the outside edges and rim.

Hopefully I'll have time this weekend for drilling and tapping the holes to get the bearing mount bolted down, then it's the dreaded burner ...

Vic.

Vic, I've been quietly following along with your build...

It looks stunning Thm: :bow:
I really like the finishes you're putting on the parts.

If you've brazed before, you should not have any trouble with the burner; I presume you will be silver brazing it ?

Kind regards, Arnold

Sadly Arnold it was a simple "heat it up with the Oxy acetylene torch" then "dab the pre-fluxed rod on the bodywork" :big:
This was an age ago when I worked as a car mechanic. Completely different methinks to what I need to do this time. Yes, I'll be using Silver solder.

Vic.

Omnimill said:
I really didn't know what to make to raise the bearing blocks, I just knew I didn't fancy turning 4 columns to balance them on! ::)

Well I like what you have done. Lookin very nice! It's always nice to see different takes on plans and to see builders stray from what the plans call for.
Nice job, very nice.

That looks good, Vic. Really good. The engine as a whole looks well done, and you can
count me as another fan of your finish work. The various mat surfaces compliment each
other nicely!

Dean

Thanks all for the nice comments. It's not just what it looks like though, it's got to work! I hope to get some sort of burner ready soon to see if it runs.

Vic.

Yippee! woohoo1 after much fiddling about I managed to get it running this evening. Video as soon as I get a minute!

Vic.

I think the meths I have is pretty poor so I need to find a source of supply for the "real stuff".

Vic.

LOOKS GOOD! SOUNDS GREAT!!
Congratulations. Thm: Thm:
Gail in NM

Congratulations Vic! :bow: :bow:

She is a real beauty!

I love the "Industrial Factory" type sound.

Well Done Thm:

Kel

Thanks Guys, I'll need to strip it down now to finish it properly and make a wood base for it. I also need to braze up the brass burner I intend to use for it.

Vic.

Beautiful Vic! :bow:

I love seeing that engine running.
I've built it twice and was never able to get either of them to run.

Rick

Latest posts

Back