Another Jan Ridders Flame Eater

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vic,

I did a lot of asking about on that machine, and there is just one major shortfall mentioned by the suppliers.

Where the button box is situated, if you use coolant, it tends to end up dripping onto it.

I would suggest a thick polythene cover to direct the wet away, or a slight resight of the button box.

Bogs

Good tip Bogs, thanks. In the past I've cut stuff dry but use a spray bottle with suds for finishing cuts. I doubt I'll install a coolant pump but if I do then I'll have to make some modifications.

Vic.

That's a nice looking mill you got, Vic. Small enough to fit, big enough to be nice and sturdy.
It sure looks the part. I'll bet you're going to have some fun!

Dean

Hi Vic,

Very nice build of an interesting engine you have, I must say that the workmanship is excellent. I really like the finish on the cylinder, the sandblasting gives a really nice finish.

I too started one of these engines a year or so ago (when it was published in M.E.) but never seemed to get around to finishing it, I must dig the box out after the stuart and give it a go.

Hope you enjoy the mill, I bought one from them at their open day about 2 years ago, good price and fitted with a 2-axis DRO. I have never looked back or wanted for anything else. A nice relatively compact machine (until you add the drip tray) able to take nice gentle cuts as well as taking much larger cuts in the name of metal removal. :D

Can't wait to see this engine running, hopefully that's the inspiration I need to pull my finger out and finish mine.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the comments guys. I've had a few mods to make on the mill, such as removing the interlocked guard etc but it's been very nice to use so far. I've even managed to do a few bits on the engine!

Cutting the flat:
Flat.jpg

And the slot:
Slot.jpg

The finished Cylinder:
Cyl.jpg

There is a fair amount of work involved in making the cylinder but the only part of it that was a problem was drilling the hole for the valve rod. In spite of very careful setup the drill still wandered off a little. Luckily I drilled it 3.5mm first and managed to "pull it back" a bit by using a 4mm End Mill where it went off. It's still not exactly right but luckily it hardly shows and everything works ok after drilling the bushes a little larger.

Sorry about the quality (and colour!) of the pictures but until I get a new Mac it's a real chore to post images at present. I have to take them as JPEG's (I normally shoot RAW on my Pentax) edit them in Photoshop 7 (normally LightRoom) on a very old G3 Mac then transfer them to my Wife's old PC (XP) for upload!!!

Vic.

It looks great, Vic!
I don't see anything wrong with the pics. Don't really know why you wouldn't just shoot
jpeg's anyway for this kind of work. Set your custom color balance in the camera to a
white card and things should come out about right. Re-size, and you're done.

Fine looking job on what you've made so far. Looks like you and the new mill are
becoming nicely acquainted.

Dean

AndyS said:
hopefully that's the inspiration I need to pull my finger out and finish mine.

Andy

I really liked the look of this engine but probably wouldn't have attempted it if it hadn't been for NickG's build. I hope my build through temps you to finish yours Andy! And of course th_wwp when you do! :big:

Vic.

Great work Vic, looking really good. I love starting the engine and watching it, fascinating!

I was quite proud because at Harrogate a guy came up to me asking me all about it, turns out he'd made 1 but was having trouble getting it to run. I gave him a few pointers and we nearly got his running on the day.

1 think I did notice was, his workmanship was much better than mine, no play anywhere, but there was a minute tight spot. I showed him how mine had quite a lot of clearance in most places, except the piston and valve. Also how critical the flame position was and necessity for a large flame covering the port. I reckon with a couple of hours work, maybe not even that he would of had his running.

Yes, we hope our posts inspire other people to have a go. Having said that, I can't get motivated to finish my 'poppin' flame licker off, it's nearly 6 months since I started that now :-\

Nick

It's by no means an easy engine to get running judging by the trouble shooting tips on Jan Ridders site. Fingers crossed when it comes to firing mine up! ;)

Vic.

Quick update,

Milling the crank using one of the two jigs. The two jig pins, one at 8mm and the other 19.5mm made setting up the crank for milling quick and easy.

crank.jpg

And a shot of the finished crank with pin fitted.

Crank2.jpg

Vic.

Ooooo yeah! I'm likin' that. Pretty slick method of uniformly cutting the crank disc couter weights, Vic.

BC1
Jim

Thanks guys, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I was a bit concerned about how I'd set it up for milling, particularly the angled parts until I thought of the jig pins.

I've sand blasted it (except the pin) which I think gives it a nice finish.

Vic.

Well my build has kind of stalled since the holidays, this was as far as I got:

Progress.jpg

There is not too much more to do really but I'm not looking forward to doing some of it, like brazing the burner together - I've not brazed anything since I was a car mechanic 28 years ago ... :D The other parts I need to make are the bearing supports. The alloy plate needs cleaning up and I've bought what I hope is a nice piece of Elm to mount it all on!

Vic.

That looks really NICE...tons better than mine does! Hurry up and finish it--I wanna see it running. :bow:

winklmj said:
That looks really NICE...tons better than mine does! Hurry up and finish it--I wanna see it running. :bow:

Thanks, but not sure about that, your build is looking very good as well!

Vic.

Your build is coming along great!

Nice jigging too.

It looks great vic, can't wait to see another one of these running - they are very unique!

Nick

I managed to get some workshop time in over the weekend:

Milling the bearing supports. 10mm bull nosed cutter in the picture was swapped for a 6mm one for a tighter radius.

Blocks.jpg

Nearly finished blocks, just a bit more cleaning up and some mounting holes to drill.

Blocks2.jpg

The design is a departure from Jan's original so I hope they end up looking ok. Not sure how I'll mount them, maybe on turned columns again

Vic.

Latest posts

Back