A "Wallaby" of my own

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the way the Tel shows it only it would be a single point cutter.

Dave

You can work wonders with a single point.
Millfix.jpg

This regashing the busted tramming gear on my BP (Standard knockoff).

Ken

Thanks for that Ken! There's a way to get it done!

Special thanks To GailNM for creating and sharing that spreadsheet!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Steve, here's another set up I did to make a bunch of metric transposition gears for the Logan.....I still have a few sets
My mill is set for horizontal operation. It's a VanNorman #12 I'm using a commercial involute gear cutter.
I'm cutting 6 gears at once.

Picture016.jpg

Dave

Making gears is something I need to learn. Will be looking over your shoulder.

Vince

Dave - what's coming across to me here is that it's not primarily about how you're enthused about what you're building, it's that you're enthused about being out in the shop building something. Hope you get what I mean. Anyway that's the way I like things.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I enjoy the shop a great deal. Right now I need to get my SB9 done, but I need to wait until I can send the bed out for grinding.....additionally, it's been a long project...I need a little "instant gratification". I go into the shop, I set up for a plan...I execute the plan....I get a result....It's a nice break while I sort out the finances for the bed regrind.

More importantly, my Son is pretty excited about making an engine....he probably doesn't have the patience to see it all the way through...but he'll jump in and out ....and he'll learn something.

Dave

Dave glad to see that your son is interested all I had were girls and I have been trying to get my Grandsons interest but with video games and ball games after school I don't see them enough to get them interested. They do love my engines and want me to run them time to time,but that is about as far as it goes. Maybe when they get older that will change there are only in ther teens now. I am still following with interest.

Don

Thanks Don,

I wanted to start teaching my son on the SB.....but we'll need to manage on the Logan.....it's a powerful lathe and a bit intimidating to a 9 year old...
Dave

Sounds like a great thing to do with your son Dave. He'll be really chuffed when it fires up!

The weekend has arrived!

OK on the docket is a bit of clean up in the shop...a breakfast run for the family....and a oil pump for a Wallaby!

I spent some time thinking about how to do this but Westbury's way is the best I think.

I will need to make up some toolmakers buttons and a plug gage.

Stay tuned

Dave

OK good time in the shop today!

Here we go.
drilling the various holes including the holes for the toolmakers buttons.
2012-06-23_16-05-10_535.jpg

The toolmakers buttons are small bushings .219 in diameter with a .156 bore. I turned up two of them , one 3/8" long and one 1/4" long. That allows me to sweep the long one in before the short one.

Next, I removed the body from the steel machining fixture and bonded it to a .875" Diameter embryonic front housing. To indicate the interface between the two parts, I needed to interpose a piece of paper between the two parts.. but I needed to make sure it was of a consistant diameter so that it didn't interfer with the alignment of the two parts. So I made a punch....only took a few minutes....a wack with a hammer and voila!
2012-06-23_18-22-31_609.jpg

2012-06-23_18-25-25_144.jpg

I then bonded the body to the housing blank with super glue with the paper in between. Now we get the parts together on the fixture

2012-06-23_19-04-06_81.jpg

I then put the toolmakers buttons on and I aligned the the assembly in the horizontal plane on the surface plate.
2012-06-23_19-04-52_57.jpg

The toolmakers buttons are mounted with 2-56 screws and represent the axis of the two gears. It is aligned with a micrometer to get the exact distance apart for the two bores. The method then is to tram in each button to the axis of the lathe and lock it in on the face plate and then bore to size and depth.

I will then move the fixture on the plate to align the other shorter toolmakers button with the axis of the lathe, lock it in , remove the toomakers button and bore the second hole. This is a very old school way to make this part , but it's very accurate and repeatable.
2012-06-23_19-58-40_142.jpg

that's where I've left off for tonight....we'll get more done tomorrow.

Dave

OK we got some more done today!

The housing was bored as was the front bearing housing all in one set up. The gears are ever so slightly tight. I'll need to reduce the pitch diameter a few tenths with brasso compound while I spin the gears against eachother in the lathe.. I have blow by blow pictures but I need to get a SD card reader. I took a shot with the droid...though not as good quality....here it is for now

2012-06-24_20-28-21_957.jpg

Fussy little part Pete! :bow: ....but I think I got it licked.....this and the crank where the parts I had the most apprehension about...so I'm chuffed that I'm off to a good start.

Dave

Looking great Buddy
now all you need is an Engine to hang it on :big:
Pete

and a shot of the parts together.

2012-06-24_20-54-20_803.jpg

I'm putting the accessory drives togther so that I can machine all the bearing locations in one shot and know the positions. After the pump comes all the gears and the pump drive bushing.
Then I can machine the housing and gear case cover in the same set up again using toolmakers buttons to locate all the gears. All on the faceplate.

Dave

Dave I had read about toolmakers button but really did not know exactly how to go about using them. Thanks for the documentation and photos. The oil pump is looking good, I would say you are on your way.

Don

Oh I've seen some of your builds Don.....I should do as well!
:bow:

Dave

Hey Pete, do you know what kind of steel your gears were made out of?

Dave

Hi Dave
I recon Tel could make you up some real sweet ones if you ask him nice :big:
Pete

Oh I know "Tel-ster" he can do that for sure! Hell he's Aussie...he can do anything!.....but my son wants a shot at helping me cut gears....who am I to say no to that!

I want to make the pinion out of 1144SP steel and the gears out of bronze.

I need to see if my 0-1 steel pinion cutters will stand up to 1144SP....I'll see if I can make a threading tool and do an experiment this week. If it will cut a 1/2" bolt ...it should hold up long enough to cut a 20 tooth pinion. I figuire I can gash the pinion teeth first with a slitting saw. The bronze gear shouldn't be an issue to do fron the solid.

Thanks!

Dave

The pump looks great Dave. My home made drill rod cutters have held up quite well even cutting drill rod. I don't know how long they would last but I have made 2-3 parts with no trouble.
George

Back