A vertical single 4-stroke IC engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great work Chuck

how do you manage to put text in between pictures on the same posting

thanks

Luc

Thanks, Luc. To put text between pictures, I position the cursor at the end of the image line and hit the enter key which inserts a line after the image.

Chuck

Spent most of today working on a base for the engine. Started with 1" x 1" angleh, 1/4" thick. I cut part of one leg off, leaving about 1/8" proud of the other leg.

IMG_3052_zps4be621c2.jpg

I mounted each piece in the milling vice at 45 degrees off vertical. Then used an end mill to cut the miter on each end.

IMG_3051_zps847ceb5d.jpg

Here's a look at the at the 4 pieces put together. I still need to mill the top part flat...

IMG_3053_zpsf9ea7120.jpg

Here's picture of two of the sides clamped to a piece of scrap aluminum. The two sides will be welded together on the inside corner.

IMG_3054_zps34114e1f.jpg

And here's a mock-up of what the base will look like. The piece of 1/4" thick steel plate will be welded to the top of the 4 angle sides.

IMG_3055_zpsa2124dde.jpg

Tomorrow I should get it all welded together.

Chuck

Looking great Chuck....I'm sure it will be a great runner.

Looking great Chuck....I'm sure it will be a great runner.

Thanks, Chris.

Here is a picture of the finished base...
IMG_3056_zps20c8dd61.jpg

And here's a few pictures of the engine test assembled so far...
IMG_3057_zpsfd257e63.jpg

IMG_3058_zpsa56e0c56.jpg

IMG_3059_zps44f4ea9b.jpg

IMG_3060_zpsb5e09e1f.jpg

IMG_3061_zpsdebeecca.jpg

Gotta add an idler gear for the timing gear train to the task list.

I'm not a big fan of the curved spoke flywheel. Wish I had a nice 4 1/2" straight, 6-spoke flywheel with a thin rim. I'll have to look around some..

Chuck

Thanks, Paul!

So I made another set of timing gears today. Actually wound up making 2 sets (3rd altogether). The first (second) set was too big. :facepalm:

IMG_3062_zpsa4299ecb.jpg

I gotta say, I really love my Arduino powered dividing head. It saves to much time and effort in gear cutting.

IMG_3063_zps86c47f12.jpg

Just set the number of divisions, then press the step button to advance each tooth.

IMG_3064_zpsd99c5dbb.jpg

Even keeps track of which tooth I'm on!

Chuck

Neat indeed Chuck!!! Maybe I could borrow that to cut my 108 tooth gear----Brian

Thanks, Brian. Why don't you build an Arduino Dividing Head. Lots of fun and satisfaction! Not that hard.

Chuck

i reall like the base. did you also weld on the outside seams and smoothe back out or is the tolerence just that close that you cant see any gaps in the corners where the angle iron comes together in a 45deg. ?

i also really like the engin design. cant wait to see more progress.

Last edited:
i reall like the base. did you also weld on the outside seams and smoothe back out or is the tolerence just that close that you cant see any gaps in the corners where the angle iron comes together in a 45deg. ?

i also really like the engin design. cant wait to see more progress.

All the welding is done on the inside, none on the outside. By squaring up the angle first, then carefully mounting at 45 degrees in the milling vice, I was able to get the angles cut pretty accurately.

Waiting on flywheels from Martin Model at the moment. Also working on about half a dozen projects all at once. Hard to stay focused!

Chuck

Thanks, Gus.

My flywheels from Martin Model came in the mail yesterday so today I got them machined up. Had to remove quite a bit of metal to get past some unevenness in the castings, but they turned out good I think.

IMG_3095_zpsc09e2bd3.jpg

Chuck

Thanks, Dave!

Got the valves finished today.

IMG_3096_zps368f0013.jpg

Made from some 5/16" mystery steel I had on hand. The steel was kind of gummy so they were miserable to get turned. I used my tangential tool bit and had to keep it really sharp.

IMG_3097_zps8dc42a65.jpg

Also got the springs installed and held in place with a cap and some e-clips.

IMG_3099_zpsf7437a21.jpg

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
Would love to see this engine running.The flywheels look great.

Thanks, Gus. Hopefully I'm getting close!

Yesterday I completed the support for the rocker arms. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. However, it is made from a piece of 5/16" square steel rod that I tried to gussy up some with some turning.

Here's a few pictures of today's work. This is the beginnings for one of the rocker arms. It's 1" long x .280" high x .160" thick.

IMG_3100_zps689b6813.jpg

Here I'm removing some stock off the bottom of each side to make it prettier and to make the whole assembly sit a bit lower on the head.

IMG_3101_zpsf6e4b883.jpg

And here they are with the bottom shaping done.

IMG_3102_zps69853062.jpg

Next I drilled and tapped the push rod end for a couple of 4-40 valve clearance adjustment screws.

IMG_3104_zps6f2e8837.jpg

And here's a few pictures with the valve train in place...

IMG_3105_zps9b289270.jpg

IMG_3106_zps536ecc6e.jpg

IMG_3107_zps72959c20.jpg

Gotta install some setscrews in the flywheels, then it's on to the ignition parts and the carburetion.
Chuck

Looking great Chuck...if you have plans for this engine I would love to put this on my bucket list. I'm also looking forward to seeing it run!

Thanks Chris, Paul. Don't know if plans are in the cards or not. I have good intentions, but follow thru is a little weak.

I've pretty much finished the mill cnc conversion, so I'm back to work on this engine to try and get it finished up. I made the mounting bracket for the ignition micro switch and also made a cam to trip it.

IMG_3174_zps0916a24f.jpg

I will likely pretty up that bracket, removing as much stock as I can to make it look a little less bulky. I plan to use a CD ignition system from S/S engineering. I will borrow the unit from one of my other engines for the time being.

I think the carburetion is the only thing remaining to get it running, so that will be my next project. I've pretty much decided I want a throttled carburetor so am ruling out a vapor fuel tank for now.

Chuck

Reactions: gus
So now the task getting the valves to seal begins. Both are leaking despite what I thought was an extraordinary effort to get them true. Sigh... :wall:

Chuck

Latest posts

Back