A Ringbom Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I always say! The new connecting rod was in the shop already ;)......... hidden inside a chunk of aluminium. All he had to do was, remove the excess material to get it out. :big: :big:

HI Doc
hope u dont mind a question from a novice?

what function did the masking tape play when doing ID?
was it a support thing?
Pete in ignorance

Noitoen said:
As I always say! The new connecting rod was in the shop already ;)......... hidden inside a chunk of aluminium. All he had to do was, remove the excess material to get it out. :big: :big:

:big: :big: I have to agree and half the fun is finding it!

No Pete always open for questions. The tape will stop the ringing while boring help stop chatter and when doing thin wall turning help support material.

Well there's nothing like a full belly some butt kickin music and some fun work to do in the shop. Oh yah a compressor that works helps too. :big: :big: :big:

Worked the displacer caps.
displacercap.jpg

turned center boss.
displacercap2.jpg

Treepan material out of undercut.
displacercap3.jpg

displacercap4.jpg

displacercap5.jpg

Bore ID

displacercap6.jpg

One down 3 to go.

displacercap7.jpg

displacercap8.jpg

Completed parts.

Now I think I'll go back to the shop and work on the power cylinders Right after I get another bite of Turkey. :big:

Doc,

Just found this - I love watching these engines run! Thanks for doing a build log, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it!

Nick

Hey Doc, did you give your helper some turkey too....he might get tired holding up all those heavy parts :)

Nice progress!

Bill

Thanks Nick and Bill,
Well today before I head to the shop I need to go clear some snow.

Bill one thing I don't share is turkey :big: :big: so he's on his own. :big: :big:

Well started power cylinders.

powercylinder1.jpg

Bore the inside diameter.

powercylinder2.jpg

Turn up the OD of shoulder this dia mounts into main plate.

powercylinder3.jpg

Grabbed a 5c collet stop. Need come up with a different stop rod.

powercylinder4.jpg

Used a carriage bolt had to tun down head slightly.

powercylinder5.jpg

Ready to face length ah turn shoulder to mount cylinder capp.

powercylinder6.jpg

Turn shoulder to mount cylinder cap.

powercylinder7.jpg

Power cylinder blanks done on lathe ready for milling cooling slots. Before cleaning up lathe and moving to mill will turn up power cylinder caps.

powercap1.jpg

Turn up top spud and turn a corner radius on OD and part off.

powercap2.jpg

First side done ready for back side.

powercap3.jpg

Bored 3/16 dia hole .330 depth used a 3/16 end mill.

powercap4.jpg

Bore cap ID to a slip fit on power cylinder will be loctited in place.

powercap5.jpg

Blanks ready for mill work. Clean up lathe and move to the mill.

Moved to the mill after making a mandrel to hole parts for cutting fins.
powercylinder8.jpg

Cutting fins in spin fixture.
powercylinder9.jpg

powercylinder10.jpg

Completed

powercylinder11.jpg

With cap on.
powercylinder12.jpg

Next to finish the cap need to drill top cross hole and press in a nipple tube.

I am impressed with the progress you are making

Paul

Thanks Paul
Unfortunately today will not be a good shop day for me. It will be a dig out from the snow day. I think most of my day will be moving snow here at home and in town at my father-in-laws.
All though what I have to move is not as bad as some in the neighborhood some have drifts over 8 feet high mine are only 3 to 4.
So I suppose I had better get at it.

Well got all the snow moved and a couple hours of shop time.

I set up and drilled the nipple holes into the power cylinder caps.
powercap6.jpg

Finding center of cap.

powercap7.jpg

Used an 3/16 end mill to drill hole straightness of hole more important than the size of the hole.

powercap8.jpg

Completed parts

powercap9.jpg

Turn up nipples used some 3/16 aluminum rivets I just happened to have should work good.

powercap10.jpg

Parts inventory so far. Shouldn't be to much longer and I'll have enough parts to start putting some thins together.

I think next time in the shop I'll work on the crank shaft.

Well no shop time today so no Ringbom progress I spent the day moving snow around had to clean decks and then blow it away from the deck. Which turned out to be a pretty big job. Sure glad I have a tractor with a snow blower attachment I'd hate to have had to shovel all the snow I moved today. I was pooped out even with the tractor, when I was done. :big: Must be a sign I'm getting old. And tomorrow back to my real job can't believe Christmas break is over already.

At least the compressor rod is still working fine ran through one cycle today.

Hope everyone out there had a good Christmas.

Well first week back at my real job and I didn't find any time for my home shop all week.
I just finished moving snow now to grab a cup of coffee and get out to the shop before some thing else comes along that just has to be done. ::) We'll see if I can get anything done today.

Doc1955, are those engines based on James R Senft's plans? They sure look similar, although I haven't seen actual plan drawings, but photos, and his book's cover picture.

But, be it one way or another, you have done rather nice job this far :bow:.

Yes very similar but I have modeled up in 3d and made quite a few changes to suite my vision of the motor.

I did get about half a day shop time today. I need to get the pictures off my camera and post will do a little later after supper.

Well here is what I accomplished this after noon wasn't a whole lot.

top-plate.jpg

Grabbed some scrap material I had laying around for the main plate.

top-plate2.jpg

Boring holes for cylinder mounts.

top-plate3.jpg

Used end mill to cut reference radius to blend to when cutting end width.

top-plate4.jpg

Cutting width need to blend to radius cuts made previously.

top-plate5.jpg

Parts with width cut.

top-plate6.jpg

If you followed my previous builds you recognize the littl fixture here. I turned up a plug for these parts to fit. This little jig I cobbed together has worked pretty good for me in the past.

top-plate7.jpg

Part loaded and milling end radius. Conventional cutting only here!

top-plate8.jpg

I'll be painting these parts with high temp black paint so I ran them through some grit blast.

Next will be the pillers. I had a piece of 1/4 thick 7075 t7 so I'll use this.

pillars.jpg

Laid out width needed.

pillars1.jpg

Cut off end.

pillars2.jpg

Parts roughed out ready for tomorrow.

Well here is what I accomplished this after noon wasn't a whole lot.

Looks like a pretty good afternoon to me, great progress and nice work!

Thanks Kevin!
It seemed like time slipped away pretty quick today and didn't get as much done as i would of liked to.
But one nice thing was during the grit blasting the compressor ran though 2 more cycles with no hick ups ::)
I'm hoping to get the pillers completed tomorrow and get a start on the base we'll see.

Latest posts

Back