A Ringbom Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assure you you are not talking to yourself.

Been watching all along.

I can't say it enough, I really like he look of this engine. It is interesting that the pistons are not connected to each other. Should be intriguing to watch.

Kel

Doc, been quite busy with my own so been following but not replying much! I've just finished mine so having a break from the shop for a bit and will be able to catch up properly. Great work by the way and it's looking like an engine now. This is always the part that spurs me on personally, when I can start to assemble a few things and get an idea of what it's going to look like.

Keep up the good work.

NIck

Thanks for the comments guys I know I do the same read a lot and post occasionally.
But some times it just seems awful quite you start to wounder if any one is even interested and if you are just wasting time trying to document the build stopping and taking pic and yes I know my picture are not very good. I'm not so good with a camera. Any way here is what I accomplished today.

Turned up some collars that will be pressed into the main mounting plate to help mount and hold power cylinders in position.
power-cylinder-mount.jpg

Collar pressed into position
power-cylinder-mount2.jpg

power-cylinder-mount3.jpg

Ok parts completed now for the connecting rods.

crod.jpg

Cut up some .062 aluminum stock to width.

crod2.jpg

Setting parts in vise to mill lengths.
Note most of you more than likely already know but I'll mention anyway.
If you look at the left side of vise you will see a spacer block you always need to have something on the opposite side of vise close to the same size that you are clamping. Other wise the movable vise jaw will kick out at an angle and essentially you will only be clamping on the corners of whatever you are clamping. I've seen people do this and then clamp the hell out of the vise to try and get their part to stay and not move while milling. (just though I would mention it)

crod3.jpg

Suppose to be 1.803,
1.804 close enough for me.

crod4.jpg

Drilling journal holes and lightening holes.

crod5.jpg

All hole drilled.

crod6.jpg

Setup for milling the taper in rod.

crod7.jpg

Part completed going to call it a day.

I believe I only have 4 major parts left power piston displacer rod and bushing and finish up the fly wheels.
Cool I should be able to have them running next week end.

Wow Doc, you are making these quite fast! I can only imagine what you will be doing with a CNC machine :big:

Kel

Thanks Kel!
If I get my way and get the cnc machine I want you may not hear much from me. I have a couple leads on some job shop stuff that will keep me busy. I have till this summer to decide if I want to take on some of it. Thats about all I'm allowed to say about it though.
I may get one more motor build in before then. I'd kind of like to get a Atkinson cycle engine built before then (another engine I promised myself I'd attempt some day.)

Thanks again for the comment Kel!

Well I didn't make it out to the shop all week finally this morning got some much needed shop time (actually my unwind from my real job time). Here is what I accomplished so far today.

I started out by turning up some graphite plugs for the bushings in the cold cylinder for the displacer rod.
I'll press them into place and turn the inside diameters of the bushings while they are in place.
Displacer-bushing.jpg

parting off first plug.

Displacer-bushing2.jpg

Since I was turning graphite I decided to turn up the power pistons also.
power-piston.jpg

Turned the OD and bored the skirt diameter.

power-piston2.jpg

Chucked up piston in 5c collet to cut slot for connecting rod.

power-piston3.jpg

Without removing piston from collet laid collet block on it's side and drilled .046 dia wrist pin hole.

power-piston4.jpg

Slot and wrist pin hole completed.

power-piston5.jpg

Turn up a wrist pin from some 1/8 dia brass.

power-piston6.jpg

Ready to assemble

power-piston7.jpg

First one assembled 3 to go.

Well I finished the other 3 and then spent some time truing up and drilling crank shaft hole in fly wheels. I then spent some time cleaning them up getting them ready for a coat of paint. The plan is to get them painted tomorrow so they can set all week before staring to assemble. I also want to get the base's painted. I'm getting close to assembly time.

Nice work on the pistons etc Doc, that's the way I made my poppin piston and it worked fine as graphite is so light anyway. I think for my tiny stirling I will need to do what you have done and make graphite bushes for the displacer rod.

nick

Thanks Arnold and Nick.
I think I'm going to put (or start) to put one together today without any paint. The other 3 will have pieces painted.
We are getting ready for more snow. We had flooding last 2 years and the way it looks it will be just as bad if not worse this spring.

Well started deburring and cleaning up parts and assembling one and came across a missing part so I'll need to step back and machine up one more part. If it wouldn't of been for the missing part I would have had one together whether it will run remains to be seen.
Dad burn it anyway I was lookin forward to getting one going today.
Well I'll try and sneak in some time during the week (its tuff getting into the shop during the week).

Here are a few pictures from Sunday's work in the shop.

powercylinder.jpg

4 power cylinders and piston and connecting rod assemblies ready to go.

displacercylinder.jpg

Displacer cylinder with displacer bushing pressed in place getting ID drilled and bored to size.

ringbomassembly1.jpg

Number 1 engine getting put together.

Number 1 test run !

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Jtq1qahqw[/ame]

Now to get the other 3 cleaned up and painted and put together.

Wow, that is real neat Doc, It really loves to run Doesn't it!

Seems the pooch likes it too ;D

Kel

Wow, awesome job Doc! and great sound too.

From the drawing board, to a great build thread resulting in an excellent runner.

Congratulations! :bow:

Thanks Kel and Kevin!
I kind of rushed to get one put together and I was surprised with the very first time I applied some heat in the shop and it started oscillating and took off so I just had to take it in and show my wife and get it in a video. These are the first Ringbom engines I've ever made and I must say I'm a happy camper right now.
I hope that after I get some paint and shine on the other three that they will run this good. I honestly thought I'd be fiddling with it to get it going it was a pleasant surprise! Now I can't wait to get some time and get them put together. I need to do a couple edits on the drawings and they will be complete had been trying to keep them up to date as I went forward with the build.

I need to get the heat shields made also I totally spaced out them I guess I was to anxious to get one running.
After work today I'm going to apply some paint to the other 3 bases and get them ready to assemble. I'll try and get the heat shields done this week end. I'm still thinking of Marv's suggestion of a water jacket I may do one up that way also we'll see.

Well didn't get to the shop today had a pretty hectic day at work. I did get the drawing file for the most part completed. I definitely need to get out to the shop tomorrow so I can have things ready to put together this weekend. I did take the engine to work with me today and ran it for a few people it ran like a champ.

Doc, you sneaked that runner video in so quietly I nearly missed it!

Congratulations and well done :bow: - runs a treat ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Wow, well done doc! It runs superbly and doesn't take much heat - do you think it'd run on a candle?

I want one! ;D
:bow:

Nick

Thanks Arnold !

Thanks Nick!
I'll check it out and see you have me wondering if it will.
I'm just guessing that it will I'll see if I can get some video of it running on a candle.

Thanks again guys for the comments it is appreciated.

Yep runs on a candle only thing is candles don't burn very clean.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2XG_8Hhg0[/ame]

Back