7''x14'' lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It dosent look very robust machine stiffness and robustness have a huge amount to do with accuracy. So like if you look at a hardinge hlv toolroom its aporxomitely the same swing and all but really heavy like say 1500 lbs and its really easy to be accurate like .0002 kinda stuff. for hobby stuff it seems like the max dia. is more important than max length. way design is really important think dovetail ways for small lathes where a bigger lathe has the carraige weight to work correctly with vee ways spindle nose is the next big thing some designs are not very stiff or repeatable like the L series while the D camlocks are great.

I see what you are saying about stiffness and all of that, is there another lathe of this size that you would suggest? I dont have alot of bench space in the garage with everything in the way like mountain bikes, rc planes, lawnmower, snow blower, and my dirtbike

I have an identical one to that, albeit a different brand, and while it's small and not real heavy duty at all, it's very robust and for small stuff it's a beaut performer! I didn't think I'd have a need for it now that I have my large lathe, but it's just so handy, and my kids can use it too now. Obviously bigger is better, but if like most people starting out you're budget's limited and you can get it cheap, I'd highly recommend it. As I mentioned in another post the other day, the 7x14 grizzly's and similar are very popular, to the point you can almost get an off the shelf CNC upgrade kit for them.

cheers, Ian

Mitch : the seig 7x (unofficial definition) is arguably the most popular starter lathe for hobbyists. I started with a grizzly 7x10.

While CBK brings up some valid points and the features of full size indusrial lathes are desirable IMHO most hobbyists do not have the funds, room, rigging experience and acess to affordable good condition industrial sized machines.
Download the MINI lathe manual from Littlemachineshop .com and read it .
As mentioned google modifications for these machines.

The biggest differences between a small bench machine and a bigger machine is tooling use HSS on small machines . depth of cut take smaller bites. Time to change setups. it will take longer on a hobby machine.

Your dollar your decision.

Tin

Hi Mitch

I have no idea what you price cut off is, but this series of lathe is much biger bang for the buck. As mentioned above mini lath .com has a review of these as well.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3536&category=1271799306

Bert

I like that lathe, my price cut off is pretty low because I am not yet employed and have no income. Maybe when i can save enough $$$ Ill buy that one for sure, I like the auto feed functions that it has. Thanks for the help Bert
Mitch

Thanks for all the replies guys, Im thinking that when I have the $$$ Ill go for the lathe that Bert suggested.
Mitch

...use HSS on small machines....

Tin

Could take a minute to expand on the comment. I have a C4 that I am just getting familiar with. Why HHS over carbide? Just because of the material that model makers use, or is there more too it?

Thanks in advance.

One of the most important decisions to make when buying tools is budget this is balanced with need , perceived need and possible future needs.

When I got into this gig I had been trained by the US Air Force . At that point the only lathes I used were 12 x 36 industrial machines South bend (modern style) and Standard Modern . Nice machines.
When I decided to set up a home shop I found that I had champagne tastes and a root beer budget. I ended up with a grizzly /seig 7x10 .

It was what I could afford. And it would thread something I wanted as a feature and the seig and sherline did not offer in a basic lathe with out spending extra money.

I will also say that you can make things on lathes like pen and pencil set that will pay for tools.

so the dilemma do I spend x for a lathe today that is not quite what I want or save for Y months or z years and get a better lathe that costs 2X, 3X 4x.........10X...

If you have not done so read my thread on buying a lathe will it thread it discusses various aspects of lathes and selecting one.

Tin

Latest posts

Back