100 watt bulbs banned

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have CFLs in a lot of places, and they're mostly good, but find a few downsides-- they go bad a lot faster than claimed, if you get the cold color temperature ones, they make everything look cadaverous, and you don't want to be cleaning up a broken one. Thus I still put up with other bulbs (halogen, incandescent) on the mill and lathe lights where high-speed loose workpieces might impact. I actually like the long-warmup for things like bathroom lights-- you don't dazzle yourself going in there at night, but it can be annoying other places.

what ever happened to that gasless engine that never needed charging or gas or anything . a magnetic type engine or something like that. i have to look some more to find it.

Deanofid said:
Your overall driving expenses are going to go up about 500% first time you have to replace the batteries.
The Prius is likely the least Earth friendly automobile ever made. A $4000 battery, and what happens to it when it dies?

GM replaces them free for 10 years on the Volt

Hi Guys,
Re. Global Warning, Funny how no one seems to remember that the world has been warming up since the last Ice Age!

I do have a problem with Gas-guzzlers, not because of CO2 but because oil is a limited resource and it WILL run out fairly soon. Oil is too useful to just burn. I expect someone will say that Petrol is a waste product of the Oil industry but they don't mind selling for massive profits.

I am reminded of a witticism about a French revolutionary, who when seeing a crowd of people running said, "I must find out where they are going, so I can lead them"
Does that sound like a bandwagon jumping politician you know?
Ned
PS I thought I posted this yesterday but .....

What everyone seems to forget is that the Antropogenic Warming Hypothesis (AGW) - is just that - a hypothesis.

And the evidence underpinning it gets weaker by the day.

Ah well....

"Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes accepted as the truth !"

Joseph Goebbels - Minister of Enlightenment - Nazi party.

I know I'm a little late to this party but I ran across this thread on HSM concerning some experimenting with LEDs. Evan seems to be getting some impressive results. Check out the thread Here.

There looks to be a basis for hope that viable LED lighting is not far off.

rleete said:
Huh? Better not open a beer, then. It could kill you! CO (monoxide) is the dangerous one from a respiration standpoint. CO2 is only dangerous from a glbal warming standpoint (if you believe the hype).

CO2 is used in fire extinguishers and it puts out the fire by preventing oxygen from reaching the flame as well as cooling. Without oxygen it's difficult to breath. In the amounts we are talking the CO2 would cover a fairly large area in which there would be no oxygen.

We had a CO2 drench system fitted in our diesel generator compartments. If it went off when you were there, had you just breathed in you would just make it out. Had you just breathed out..........................

I use CFL pretty much throughout the whole house. My workbenches are lit by three 18W CFL floods and a 24W CFL in a swing arm lamp. Tons of light!!

I didn't do it for the environment, I did it because the electricity companies keep jacking the prices up every 6 months or so!

Noitoen - drive your Prius flat out and I'll chase you with my "gas guzzling" BMW M3 - guess what - I'll use less fuel.

(As demonstrated on BBC's Top Gear.)

It's not so much the car but how you drive it.

Regards,
Ken

rleete said:
Huh? Better not open a beer, then. It could kill you! CO (monoxide) is the dangerous one from a respiration standpoint. CO2 is only dangerous from a glbal warming standpoint (if you believe the hype).

Sorry, rleete, but CO2 will kill. It's a matter of concentrations of course. It takes a lower concentration of CO to do you in, since that gas interferes with the hemoglobin oxygen transfer cycle. On the other hand, if the CO2 concentration is higher the O2 concentration is lower. At some level, there just isn't enough O2.

Mines are ventilated not so much to get the methane out but to get the CO2 out.

Alan

Ken I said:
The eruption of the Eyjafjajokull volcano in Iceland obliterated all the "Greenhouse Gas" savings we have made since 1980 in just 4 days - man is simply puny compared to Mother Nature. So if you traded in you SUV on a Prius - its all been in vain.

Ken,

I have offhandedly remarked to friends and family that this winter we have all been suffering through in Europe, North America, and other places is a result of that volcano blowing it's top last year. Their eyes get big and they take on a pensive look.

Alan

CO2 in our atmosphere is 390ppm - you breathe out at ±40000ppm.

It becomes toxic at 12000ppm - early symptoms - irritability an headaches.

Some examples of "Air Rage" being blamed on elevated CO2 on airplanes - since they banned smoking they reduced the air ciculation to save on pressure bleed from the turbines.

USA has statutory limits for this for prisons but not for passenger aircraft - go figure.

Closed environment plant nurseries often artificillly raise CO2 to 1000ppm to OPTIMISE plant growth - most paleobotanists agree that most of Earth's plant life evolved in 1200ppm CO2 environment.

CO2 is plant food and part of the life cycle - without it we will all die - no ifs - no buts - we will all die.
We are proagandising a generation who believe we would all be better off if we could remove CO2 from the atmosphere - just ask your kids.

The increaced levels of CO2 have improved crop yields and staved off the "world is going to starve" scenarios of the seventies.

CO2 poses no threat to human kind - I used to be a believer - then I did my own research the whole anthropogenic warming debacle is the most wanton piece of scientific hysteria in history.

Don't take my word for it (or anybody else's for that matter) read up on both sides of the divide and make up your own mind - rather than letting someone like the GOREacle do it for you.

Regards,
Ken

Ken I said:
CO2 is plant food and part of the life cycle -
Regards,
Ken

Makes us the waste disposal units for the plants to survive. They give off O2 as a waste product for us to convert to CO2 which they need. Now I can tell the bride I am good for something

Robert

So are we all finished on the CFL's.

There is a human side to these that I would like to tell.

The Lamp manufacturing company I worked for in the UK made 60 million incandescent lamps a year. Yes we sold every single one.
10 million CFL's will replace the 60 million inc. lamps. Pretty obvious if there was 6 factories only one is needed now.
The factory I worked at employed 2000 people now closed.
Some people had to pay with their job to fund the price of progress.

Dave

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZalyKzXnlo&feature=player_embedded]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZalyKzXnlo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
Tin

YEssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

To power that 100 watt bulb, need global warming (sunshine) to make the sucker work.

Robert

solar-a1.jpg

solar-a2.jpg

solar-a3.jpg

I live in conservative South Carolina where things are not always politically correct. A local state senator has introduced a bill to circumvent the federal ban on incandescent light bulbs. SC will be able to make them for in state sale, avoiding the interstate commerce rulings that allowed the national ban to happen. In short, we will still have them available and can purchase them from local manufacturers who will be protected by the new law. Since all branches of the state government are currently in conservative majority hands, the bill probably has a good chance of passing into law.

I'm not quite sure how it will work, but the bill is apparently being written to allow for out of state shipment, as long as the sale is conducted within the state. We could possibly become the last domestic incandescent light bulb source in the US.

Steve

I can't help thinking we've seen this sort of thing before and everybody gets on the bandwagon, through no fault of their own, and they get sucked into the debate. Only this week at our ME society monthly meeting a technical presentation on lumieres ended up on a debate on global warming and the relative merits of CFL's pros and cons. Only a handful of the guys use this forum so I doubt it this thread that influenced the way the meeting went.

Other examples?

I spent 20+ years of my life contributing to the western worlds defence against the possibility of the Russian hordes overrunning us. Remember "duck and cover". In the end, when the wall came down and most of them turned out to be ordinary people, like us, who just wanted a quiet life.

Then we had that Y2K nonsense where countless millions were spent to avoid IT Armageddon. In NZ the mobile phone network failed briefly, but only because everybody decided to ring their mates around the world to wish them "Happy New Year Millennium" (we were the first to make it into 2000).

Then we had Bush and his cronies and that "Weapons of mass destruction" nonsense. They managed to whip us all into a frenzy and cause a war and in the end just because the Iraqi's had pissed off his dad.

The "Global war on terror" is yet another example, that's becoming the problem now and not the solution.

So I just see this global warming politically correct BS and just a platform or maybe smokescreen to give the politicians something to rally around and, maybe, distract us while they get on with some other hidden agenda.

Naive? Yes probably. Have I replaced all my incandescent bulbs with CFL's? Yes, have I started to replace Halogens with LED's? Yes, Have I just had double glazing installed throughout the house Yes, Have I availed myself of the Governments insulation grant? Yes. Do I floor the accelerator pulling away from the lights? Yes (hey we've got a 100km/h (60mph) speed limit so 0-60 is the only fun you can have). ;D

I suppose another analogy would be the tale of the Emperors Clothes. It just needs the little boy in the crowd to point out the Emperor has no clothes on and we can get over it.

Pete

Back