100 watt bulbs banned

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Australians are in the dark and Americans will be next. Stock up now if your planing on continuing to use 100 watt bulbs in your machine lamps.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=45156

Are they out of their minds, or what! th_bs

-MB

It has already started in California and next year they are going to ban T12 florescent bulbs, you will have to convert over to the T8s,which requires a different ballast.

Rex

Yeah Rick---I hate these damn screw in flourescent bulbs worse than snakes!!! For the last 60 years I am accustomed to turning on a light switch and being bathed in brilliant light. Now I get that sickly feeble glow from these energy efficient bulbs. They do "pick up" after they've been on for a while but I don't like them!!!

Yes, their terrible bulbs to deal with, and I hate them too....with a passion!

If Congress wants to save energy, I suggest they set an example and ride around Washington on bicycles!

I know, I know. Calm down. Rof}

-MB

My CFL's are great for light output. I don't even buy the good ones? I have a 100W equivalent day light bulb on my lathe. Though the cheap ones from Menards only last .001-1 year out of their 7 year warranty.

It's the same hysteria that brought about the call to ban "those dirty,fuel guzzling cars".What these morons don't want to be made public,is that cars like the Prius will present a huge hazard to the environment at the end of it's useful life.What to do with all those batteries?
In any case,it takes approx.18 times as much energy to produce a new car as that car uses in it's entire life.Therefore,it stands to reason that it's far more energy conscious to keep driving your old jalopy,as long as it's properly maintained.
The CFL bulbs cost about $8nz,against the 49c of the incandescent.I'd like to see the CFL bulb after 16 years!The ones we have in one light fitting are now some 5 years old,and have become much worse in the time taken to come up to their full light state.They also have gone quite black close to the fitting.
Once again,politicians are climbing on a soapbox nobody wants to hear from!

Personally, I wished the LED technology would catch up and become competitively priced and a viable option I'm not sure how the manufacturing process LEDs compares to CFLs, but it sure as heck couldn't be any worse! Lots of stuff crammed into a CFL.

Which begs the question; which type of light requires the most energy usage per unit to manufacture from raw material to final product? My guess is the CFL would take the most, followed by LED with the good old fashioned incandescent coming in third.

I just wished our beloved leaders would put their energy (no pun) into something worthwhile rather than screw with our choice of light bulbs.

I'm using a 100 watt equavilent cfl for a worklight on the mill. I love it. I'd never go back to incandecent. It cool. I keep it close to my work and don't have to worry about getting burned. The light makes it easy to see my work. Never-the-less I'm not to hot to have the government tell me what to use for light. I do though wear my seat belt and wear my motorcycle helmet too.

The CFLs have worked out very well for me, but the early ones I got had lots of problems. Some brands still have problems.

Turn on time, as described by Brian, has gotten much better on most brands. Two brands that I am familiar with that turn on just the same as an incandescent are nuVision and Ecosmart. Both are distributed by Home Depot.

Two things that I like are the availability of different color temperatures and the ability to pack a lot of light into a compact space. Due to vision problems I have almost no sensitivity to red light. By picking a CFL with a color temperature of 3500 deg K or greater, often listed as brilliant white, it makes it easier for me to see details. In my kitchen had about reached the energy density of the 4 bays with two 30 watt florescent bulbs in each. Now I have eight CFLs in each bay (total of 32 CFLs) and can adjust the amount of light in each area by changing the wattage in the fixtures. It's nice to see what I am cooking.

On the milling machine I have two task lights. Above 60 watt incandescent bulbs things just got too hot. The vibration of machining also made the life time of such bulbs short. I tried harsh duty bulbs and while they lasted twice as long they cost four times as much. Switched to 23 watt CFLs several years ago and have more light and have not had a failure yet. Don't burn my forehead when I get too close either.

On task lights on down side is that not all will accept the larger base of the CFL. Of course there is no hope for coolant proof halogen lights. On one that used a GU10 base halogen bulb I tried one of the GU10 based CFL. It was worthless. I now have a GU10 based LED bulb in it. It works quite well. It is on the band saw and a large lamp can not be positioned to light the blade so a small light fixture is necessary. All told I have 5 CFLs in task lights in the shop.

I have been disappointed trying to use LED based light sources. Started with Sylvania bulbs and lamps. They worked very well - for about 10 hours. Then the light output started to fall off and were unusable after about 50 hours of operation. Bought a few led strip lights for area lighting on the band saw table. It's next to the lathe and I use the table to hold drawings while working on the lathe. The first few I put on had 4 banks of 4 leds in each. Bulbs started failing after about 2 weeks of operation. Replaced them with similar lights from a different manufacture. Same problem. I have now replaced them with some more strip lights that have 8 larger LEDs. They are no-name surplus ones and they are still going strong after a year. The best I have found is the GU10 based 120 volt 3 watt from LED Wholesalers. They have three 1 watt LEDs in them. That is what has been on the band saw for over a year for blade illumination. I just bought two more of them. They are not cheap, but work well. Trouble is that it is hard to find compact fixtures to use them in so I bought some sockets to make my own. It's nice to be able to make what you need.

I dislike on size fits all type regulations. There are many applications where incandescent will be difficult to replace. I hope that the powers that be have thought about most of them, however I suspect that any exemption will involve pricing them out any normal usage. Things like outdoor lights in colder climates and oven and refrigerator lights. And lets not forget the thousands of Easy Bake ovens that are still in operation.

Gail in NM

Incandescents have been off the shelves here since last July, thanks to Kevin (save the planet) Rudd and his misinformed cronies.

tel said:
Incandescents have been off the shelves here since last July, thanks to Kevin (save the planet) Rudd and his misinformed cronies.

No relation you will appreciate... :)

The government in the UK are no different..in fact one major energy company was sending out low wattage cfls fro free to discourage the use of the incandescent lamp in the home..

Yes the new light fluros are much more efficient than an incandescent bulb. However from what I have read we have swapped one devil for another with the safe disposal of the new style being the culprit as I read they contain Mercury.

Take your pick - more carbon from more heat or more Mercury to find a home for.

ranton.gif

Whilst on the subject, in Oz we are waxing on about clean coal, i.e. scrubbing the CO2 from the flue gas and burying it. We hear such a lot about the problems of nuclear power generation and the half life of the resulting Plutonium. As far as I am aware the half life of CO2 is forever and if your near it should it escape, you are the same amount of dead as you would be should the Plutonium escape.

IMHO global warming is true, it's the reason(s) for it that are unclear and no-body has explained it to my satisfaction so far, along with peak oil and all the other buzz words of the day, which all end up with their hand in my pocket and another bureaucracy to administer them.

rantoff.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
As far as I am aware the half life of CO2 is forever and if your near it should it escape, you are the same amount of dead as you would be should the Plutonium escape.

Huh? Better not open a beer, then. It could kill you! CO (monoxide) is the dangerous one from a respiration standpoint. CO2 is only dangerous from a glbal warming standpoint (if you believe the hype).

So China now is in the citizen car boom, pumping out more CO2 which (as Al Gore says) increases global warming causing the ban of the good ol 100watt incandescent bulb in favour of the CF which just happens to be made in China who then becomes the major buyer of GE's banned here incandescent.

Life was so much better living under the rock

Robert

i got my stash of 100 watters and nobody is taking them from me I GOT A GUN come and try taking my bulbs.
hahahahahahahahahahaahhahaha im loaded big bore hahahahahahahahhaahahahaha

By all means believe what you want and use whatever lighbulbs suit your purpose but the political correctness that holds that lighbulbs are going to "save the planet" is idiotic.

The eruption of the Eyjafjajokull volcano in Iceland obliterated all the "Greenhouse Gas" savings we have made since 1980 in just 4 days - man is simply puny compared to Mother Nature. So if you traded in you SUV on a Prius - its all been in vain.

www.globalwarminghoax.com

A US Senate (Dept. of the Environment) blog on GW fallacies.

http://www.friendsofscience.org

http://www.climatescienceinternational.org/

http://www.drroyspencer.com/

http://www.climatechangefacts.info/

www.nipccreport.org

Explore a skeptical viewpoint.

Regards,
Ken

I've traded my Corola for a Prius and only reduced my overall driving expenses by as much as 50% both service and running costs. ;)

FWIW when the UK government started this nonsense I looked around for alternatives which were dimmable and didn't need the prolonged warm up, and actually had a life of full brightness, unlike the fluorescents which dim as they age.

I ended up with 60W GU9 halogen bulbs. Bell do adapters which allow them to be used in all the fittings, and also supply screw on covers to make them look like candle bulbs, decorator bulbs etc. They seem to work out well because now I only need to 'stock' 1 type of bulb (although I carry the 40 and 25W varieties).

You can see the different types here

http://www.spares2you.co.uk/Light_Bulbs/Bell_Halogen_G9/

I have no connection with this outfit apart from being a satisfied customer.

Just for reference, the 'free' bulbs that come with them don't last long at all. I bought mine in 10's or 12's from Amazon at around 50p .They comfortably exceed the compact fluorescent life with a much higher colour temperature.

Hope this helps

picclock

Noitoen said:
I've traded my Corola for a Prius and only reduced my overall driving expenses by as much as 50% both service and running costs. ;)

Your overall driving expenses are going to go up about 500% first time you have to replace the batteries.
The Prius is likely the least Earth friendly automobile ever made. A $4000 battery, and what happens to it when it dies?

Latest posts

Back