0-4-0 Fowler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
008-14.jpg

Matt and I are in a "drug deal" on this engine. I am making two as well, mine are 0-4-2, but other then that they are the same. He is cutting and machining parts and I am making boilers, burners and plumbing.

Matt has ordered two 2.5” diameter, two-flue, butane fired boilers for his fully upscaled “Eric” projects. These boilers should produce more then enough steam to run the 0.625” x 1.102” cylinders.

First thing is to turn the end plates. Some 3/4" thick red oak makes a good sacrificial face plate to turn the 1/8” thick plates. #8 sheet metal screws hold the plates in place.

Progress%200001.JPG

Then turn the outside, basically the same way.

Progress%200002.JPG

There is a small brass mounting block on the bottom of the boiler. It has to be curve cut to fit the boiler barrel. Get out the flycutter and set up the lathe. Old, dull Slocum drills make good cutters in a bind

Progress%200004.JPG

Matt sent me some bushings needed for the project. I turned the blank bushings that sit in the second bushing hole. They have a #10 x 32 blind hole in case he needs to attach a dome.

Progress%200005.JPG

Hopefully start “gluing” the weldment tomorrow.

Sweet, she's going to be a double barrel, with 4 on the floor!

Matt :big:

For the axle and coupling rod bushings, I'm going to try 680 Loctite and SAE 863 Bronze flanged bushings from Mcmaster Carr. Their only 42 cents each, and worth a try for that price.

Matt

Got Matt's boiler weldments done today. Everything went well. All the solder fillets are smooth and complete all around. Next step is to make up some plugs for the bushings, set up some pressure gauge plumbing and pump them up. Operating pressure is 40 PSI so they will get tested to 80 PSI.

Progress 0006.JPG

Progress 0007.JPG

Nice job, da both a youse! Thanks for the pics, guys.

Latest posts

Back