Yes......another Aussie.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owen1o1

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m Owen, from Canberra, the colder part of Australia. Like many, I have been on the outside of the forum for a while, looking in.
An engineer by trade, I have always been interested in anything mechanical, the more moving parts the better. I’ve set up a small workshop in my garage, put in a lathe and mill, and started to learn how to use them. With no previous machining experience every engine build posed a new challenge in some way. Most of the answers have been found on this forum. Thanks everyone.

My first engine built was Rudy Kouhoupt’s Pioneer. Then followed a Stuart Models Victoria, and Stewart Hart’s Potty twin overcrank engine. Works in progress are a McOnie Oscillating engine and Randall Cox’s Hoglet.

But that’s enough from me. Engine don’t build themselves.................

Owen

And g'day from Adelaide. Also cold but good workshop weather.

Welcome Owen, hope your stay is enjoyable. Know how cold it is in Canberra, my wife's brother has been there for the last 50years. I am in Sydney still cold, but a bit better than the ACT.

Barry.

Welcome to the forum Owen. We don't know what cold means over here. Have you got some photos of your projects you can show us? Especially the Hoglet - that one is on my to-do list.

Welcome Owen, There is a certain feeling of being an Aussie, good to see you on board. I am sure you will have good input and so enjoy the feed back from this forum, Norm

A little tardy, but always good to see another member from Oz; welcome from Darwin!

Cheers,
Adrian

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Posting on this forum is all new to me, so I may screw up a few things on the way. I thought I would start by trying to post a photo. For Cogsy, my Hoglet - the parts made so far, as machined, some unfinished, nothing cleaned up.

Owen

Hog002.jpg

That's quite a pile of good looking parts. You should consider making a build log - I'm sure lots of people would be interested in your efforts.

As requested here's a photo of my Victoria and Overcrank engine. All built to run on air, not steam. The Victoria was made from the kit of raw materials and castings. The overcrank engine was made mainly from whatever suitable scrap metal I could get my hands on, except for the flywheel and globe valve.

Owen

Eng001.jpg

Latest posts

Back