Where do you live?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
We still have the problem of members not providing any clue as to their location. We have people looking for material or tools and people offering help but neither showing even what continent they are on. The world is very small on the internet, but shipping around the world is not instantaneous and can be very expensive.

I agree. I notice that many new comers tell where they are from in their introduction but do not put it in their profile. I think it should be a mandatory part of the registration to at least name the country you are in. You certainly could not be identified by that if that is a concern. How about it RAKE60?? ??? ???

There are advantages in showing your location. If you have been reading these posts for any length of time, you will see that some close friendships have been made. Even visit with one another. It sounds like several members are planning to meet face to face at Cabin Fever. I'll bet that will be fun.

Stan I agree this has been put out before and it is posted in the into area.
I may start putting locations in personal text area. it realy is easy folks and I will galdly help anyone that asks.
Tin

It was a while before I listed my location, simply because there was no where to put it!

Tin,

You can have a member map...speaks for itself..I think its available as a bolt on for the forum software

Ok the picture I've attached is of the UK...you could go large as they say at KFC.. ;D

member map.JPG

We have had a Member map for a long time. It is located at the top left under Menu and is the forth one down.

Kenny

1Kenny said:
We have had a Member map for a long time. It is located at the top left under Menu and is the forth one down.

Kenny

Oops...Sorry didnt see that...Feel free to delete my posts on this..

Yeah the map is there...but it seems a whole lot more convenient to have it in the post somewhere.

Yeah, the only reason I'm on the map is because I once posted myself on the same utility somewhere else.

I see a lot of members don't fill out their Profile Summery completely. There's a place to enter your location. If you want to know where a member is from just click on their name in the thread and it will take you to their profile.

On Mad Modder the country you live in is displayed when you fill out the form completely in the membership profile.

Bernd

we have asked folk in the past to put there general location in the personal text area witch shows up as part of the avatar or in the signature area ether one is easy to see and only has to be typed once. This is addition to having it in the profile.
Tin

putputman said:
I think it should be a mandatory part of the registration to at least name the country you are in.
I don't believe anybody should have to reveal anything about themselves that they do not want to.

That being said, there has been more than one time where I would have liked to help someone and couldnt because there profile did not contain an E-mail address or any other contact info. I was contacted a few weeks ago by a fellow who knew I was looking for some specific info. He got my E-mail address from this very board and sent it over. Nice surprize for me.

You got the idea Steve. Some people don't. They post that they would like to borrow a special tool or need a small piece of, but who is going to offer to send it without knowing where the poster lives?

I don't believe anybody should have to reveal anything about themselves that they do not want to.
No one here is asking for mailing addresses or longitude and latitude within 10 feet to be made public heck not even the town you live in unless you want to all that is asked is country and state province nearest large city as needed.
it is hard to help someone if you do not even know what continent they are on.
Tin

I will not make it mandatory for anyone to give their location.
Some people are very uncomfortable with doing that.

My Father would be a prime example. He will not allow my Mother
to use a credit card on a secure web site, but using it a retail store
is OK. I can not convince him that those transactions are also
internet processed. ::)

I couldn't hide if I wanted to.
I'm in the East End of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
Anyone who is ambitious enough to Google my info would easily locate me
at a GPS location of North 40° 56' 49" X West 78° 57' 28"
If they want a closer look try this:

home.jpg

That image is from Google Maps.
Put your address or I.P. signature in there and see what it finds.
The days of anonymity are long gone. There are still people who are
not ready to accept that fact. I will not force that fact on them.

Rick

It doesn't have to be their location, Rick. Just a regional reference. Like Idaho. That doesn't tell anyone where I live.
Many people ask for help, like "where do I get this widget?". Fourteen people may answer, but 13 of them were a total waste of time because they were telling a guy in England to go to a place in America.

Dean

Poweder Keg

Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}
I just noticed your note under your avatar.
Life is tough, It's even tougher if your stupid:O)

I know a few people I would like to send that to!

Latest posts

Back