What's in Two Shop Masters: Frank Mclean and Philip Duclos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackG

Reaction score

Hi,
I’m thinking of purchasing “Two Shop Masters: Frank Mclean and Philip Duclos” from Village Press, but before I do, I’d like to know exactly what’s covered in the book. Is Philip Duclos’s Odds and Ends hit & miss engine covered? What else? Can someone give me a very short synopsis of the book or a scan of the table of contents page?

Thanks,
Jack

Try looking the book up on Amazon, even if you don't plan to buy it there. They usually have links to the table of contents and index.

Chuck in E. TN

don't remember all of it, I got it from an interlibrary loan, but the Victorian engine from Duclos was the main engine I remember. The Odds n Ends engine is in the Shop Wisdom of Phillip Duclos and not this one.

Jack

157 pages of tools and tips by Frank McLean

Duclos engines

Little blazer
Hula-Hula
Topsy-turvy
Gearless hit and miss
Maverick
A Victorian engine

Very detailed instructions, a worthwhile book. Now that I have it out I must reread it.

Peter

Okay, thank you all very much. I was hoping that the Odds and Ends Hit & Miss engine was in this book. Unfortunately The Shop Wisdom of Phillip Duclos is out of print, and after checking with Village Press there is no plans to reissue it. They also said that I cannot get back issues of the magazine in which it was originally published (Home Shop Machinist I think). Oh well...

I own both books and still consider them cheap at the price paid. I have to admit, Shop Wisdom of Philp Duclos is my favorite, but both are loaded with great projects. You might want to watch Ebay or even Amazon for used copies.

Be aware.... Duclos boiled his projects down to the essentials. He gives very detailed instructions but offers no more and no less information than is needed to accomplish each step of each project. Miss a step or try to out think him and you will find yourself off track, rather quickly. Once you understand his methods you'll totally enjoy building his projects.

Steve

Back