Philip Duclos Fire Eater

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went looking for Webster's website a while ago and it appears to be gone. Where would I get plans?
They're in the downloads section of this forum if you want them - LINK. If that's not the right version just search 'Webster' in the search box from within the downloads forum.

They're in the downloads section of this forum if you want them - LINK. If that's not the right version just search 'Webster' in the search box from within the downloads forum.

Thanks.

Right now, the list I'm thinking of is kind of odd:
The Webster,
A Stirling engine,
A friend said I should build "some sort of diesel", but I know nothing about those.
A glow plug or model airplane engine is a possibility, too.
Maybe a multi-cylinder, radial, wobbler type steam engine (which are just entertaining to watch).

A stirling engine is very much like a flame licker (like you just finished). They run, but they make virtually no power, and can be very ticklish to get and keep running. Build a Webster. Then, if you are feeling really good about yourself, build a Kerzel hit and miss.

That is a nice uncomplicated engine, but you have to be aware that any i.c. engine you build is going to have two gears in it. If you have the set-up to cut gears, then yes, my vertical is a great engine to build. The gears on my engine are custom cut. If you build the Webster, the gears can be purchased for a very reasonable amount. The Websters gears are commercially available.--Brian Rupnow

The Webster is a nice engine to build
Just to play devils advocate a Stirling although lower powered can still do a bit of work

cheers and good luck with what ever you decide to build next

That is a nice uncomplicated engine, but you have to be aware that any i.c. engine you build is going to have two gears in it. If you have the set-up to cut gears, then yes, my vertical is a great engine to build. The gears on my engine are custom cut. If you build the Webster, the gears can be purchased for a very reasonable amount. The Websters gears are commercially available.--Brian Rupnow

Ah ... I haven't tried cutting gears. I don't have any of those tools (hobs?) for cutting tooth profiles. If that's the only new thing to learn in making the engine, though, I'd hope that's not that bad. There were several new things to learn in making this Duclos engine.

Fraser, I went to the NAMES show once, in '08. There was a guy there with a really cool model of a crane that was about 2 or 3' tall extended, moved around and the winch would pick up things. It was all powered by a Stirling motor. No video, but I have some still pictures to give a rough idea. Note the guy behind it and its scale compared to him - that's the builder.

IMG_0161.JPG

Hi Bob, Is there is any secret to Stirling engined models its gearing them down
I held off cutting gears for years then bit the bullet made the cutters and cut the gears and it wasnt a bad experience and thought what was all the fuss about.Guess its a case of suck it and see. Although I did manage to make a few 1/2 tooth gears oops
What ever you decide to build I wish you good luck and enjoy building it
Back to the model boat builds as its Autumn and I need to build some boilers
Keep well
kind regards

Ah ... I haven't tried cutting gears. I don't have any of those tools (hobs?) for cutting tooth profiles. If that's the only new thing to learn in making the engine, though, I'd hope that's not that bad. There were several new things to learn in making this Duclos engine.

Fraser, I went to the NAMES show once, in '08. There was a guy there with a really cool model of a crane that was about 2 or 3' tall extended, moved around and the winch would pick up things. It was all powered by a Stirling motor. No video, but I have some still pictures to give a rough idea. Note the guy behind it and its scale compared to him - that's the builder.

View attachment 104488

Don't let making gears scare you they are not that hard t do. ANd you really don't need much to make them just make a gear hob and if you have a -V- block your set. Here is a link to a simple way to make gears with minimum equipment needed.

Making a gear hob

Cutting gear with no indexer

Latest posts

Back