What's Happening in Chazz's Shop?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChazzC

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renamed the thread since it seems that the tour has generated some interest in my doings. I will use this thread to post photo's & video's about my shop, machines and projects.

To start, here is a quick walkthrough of the shop. Constructive comments only, please – I'm not trying to compete with the pro's on YouTube, just wanted to give folks an idea of the size of my shop:

Last edited:
Constructive comments only, please – I'm not trying to compete with the pro's on YouTube, just wanted to give folks an idea of the size of my shop:

Looks great

Dave

Nice, but way too clean.
Please spread some random trash and dirt all around, especially on the floor, and scatter things in a disorganized fashion, so that you don't make my shop look so bad.

Very nice shop !

wow so clean & a TV!
Well . . . the TV is basically a large monitor that can be used with the laptop for viewing drawings, watch YouTube videos while doing something on the low bench or seeing images from a USB Microscope – that's why it's on a swing-arm mount.

But I guess that doesn't explain why it has a ROKU adapter?

Always try to clean up at the end of the day (tough to do so by my Father when he was doing something in his home woodshed (sweeping was my job until I was old enough to be trusted with sharp implements).

Constructive comments only, please – I'm not trying to compete with the pro's on YouTube, just wanted to give folks an idea of the size of my shop:

Did I miss the surface plate? GreenTwin is missing swarf. Did you clean for the video?
Nice, but way too clean.
Please spread some random trash and dirt all around, especially on the floor, and scatter things in a disorganized fashion, so that you don't make my shop look so bad.

Very nice shop !

I produce more swarf than parts, I think. I just dump the swarf in front of the neighbours door :cool:. No complaints; lucky me. ... :D...

Did I miss the surface plate?
I refer to the surface plate in this quick sequence: it turns out that the corrugated tray used to pack No. 10 cans is the perfect size for a 12" x 18" x 2" plate:

Surface Plate.jpeg

The Starrett box is a re-purposed 1"— 6" micrometer box that holds various tools for use with the surface plate. The stuff on the shelves is all seldom used tools and materials.

GreenTwin is missing swarf. Did you clean for the video?

I always clean as I go to some extent, and (almost) always clean the machines, benches & surrounding areas at the end of the day. I confess that I did vacuum the rest of the floor (happens infrequently) before the video, but I was preparing for a visit from the Village Press editor. Don't worry, I'll post some in-process photos (and maybe video's, who knows) in the future); here's a teaser:

20240115 Swarf.jpg

I produce more swarf than parts, I think. I just dump the swarf in front of the neighbours door :cool:. No complaints; lucky me. ... :D...
It does seem that some projects require the removal of more metal than what is in the finished part, but I was taught at an early age to keep things clean. This started wihen I "helped" my Father when he was working in his wood shop ( before I could be trusted with sharp implements my job was sweeping up), then in Shop Class at high school.

Thanks for viewing and your questions.

Perhaps you could show some of your ongoing and finished projects
As the video is getting a good reception I am planning on producing more showing the details of what in some of the storage boxes & drawers, and am also considering videos of work in process. I'll also start posting more photo's of my creations (no models or engines, but I think will be of interest). Thanks!

Loc-Line Vacuum Hose Installations

I previously posted (somewhere) the Loc-Line hose with the large/wide nozzle at my Mini-Mill:

Loc-Line on Mill Side.jpeg

And now have finally finished the one for the Mini-Lathe:

20240123 Loc-Line Tapered Nozzle.jpeg

This one snakes behind the lathe and has a tapered nozzle (can swap the nozzles, but not an easy task).

I'll post a video of them in action once I have put them into practice.

Loc-Line Vacuum Hose Installations

I previously posted (somewhere) the Loc-Line hose with the large/wide nozzle at my Mini-Mill:

View attachment 153288

And now have finally finished the one for the Mini-Lathe:

View attachment 153289
This one snakes behind the lathe and has a tapered nozzle (can swap the nozzles, but not an easy task).

I'll post a video of them in action once I have put them into practice.
This looks like a proper flood coolant hose, reminds me on this Cartoon.
"This model is not exactly cheap, but it takes only twelve seconds to fill up the bath tub."

http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~pipsoft/pics/loriot.gif
Just in case you consider retrofitting a coolant pump. :cool:

Last edited:
New Video Setup

While the video walkthrough of my shop wasn't terrible, I wasn't 100% happy with the quality. So I dug out my Panasonic HDC-TM41 Video Camera (yes, decade-old technology, and maximum is "only" 1080p [720 if editing with iMovie], but easier to use [maybe?] than 1080p or 4K on my iPhone 14+). Checked the camera out, made sure the batteries would hold a charge (although for most projects I'll use the AC adapter), attached it to a spare base and mounted it on the camera head of my Noga Big Boy:

20240126 HDC TM-41 Video Camera.jpg

Trial videos showed that this was a viable solution, so I shot parts 1 & 2 of my next video series (yes, series: I'm playing with the semi-pro YouTubers now). Here is a screenshot of Part 1 being edited with iMovie:

20240126 iMovie Screenshot.png

Part 1 should be posted in the next day or so (hey, this is hard work!), followed by Parts 2 & 3.

Accusize 5" 3-Jaw Chuck Fitting Part 1

Part 1 is live on YouTube! Please like and leave comments on YT. Questions are always welcome on YT and here.
Looks like a nice video.
In November I fit a 5" 4 jaw chuck to my mini lathe.

I have drawing in download section here on using a bell bar weight for a chuch back. Low cost.
Note the one November I purchased semi finished as the bell bar would not fit in chuck of new lathe.

You may want a video on semi finished and blank

Dave

Shop Storage

Still editing the Part 3 video, but I did some analized storage —

Consolidated my US & Metric transfer screws:
Transfer Screws.jpeg

Prep'd two storage tubes from 3" PVC drain pipe (the low pressure/density pipe works great for this; plain test caps glued on the base and test caps with tabs for easy removal for the tops:
3in PVC Storage.jpeg

Keeps these less often used tools (live bullnose center & MT3 3/4" chuck) clean and storing them on end takes up less space:
Completed PVC Storage.jpeg

Latest posts

Back