What kind of engine is this?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterB

Reaction score
I fond this strange engine in an old swedish catalogue from 1944. I can't understand what kind of engine it is. So now I ask you... Do you know what kind of engine it is and how does it work?

This is a the text translated:

Engine for methylated spirit No U 881
Is already through its new principle of power a highly interesting problem for all of those who are mechanically interested. The engine is very easy to handle and is always ready to start up. The fuel consumption is insignificant and requires no electricity or steam pressure therefore it is completely harmless. The engine is very reliable and runs with a sound like a real crude oil engine. A very stable and durable toy that you will never get tired of. Suitable for being installed in a boat. The engine's weight reaches 1.5 kg. Its size 15x12x16 cm. Full instructions are provided with each engine. Each engine is tested before it is delivered.

Price per piece 32 :-

Last edited:
From the sounds of it, I assume it's some sort of flamelicker. I also think I see a spirit burner behind the flywheel.

I wonder if it's an engine like this link.
The instructions say there is no piston?

My highly untrained eye suggests the engine in that link is a type of stirling. The reason I guessed flamelicker for your original post was because of the description that says it "runs with a sound like a real crude oil engine". Flamelicker's do sound alot like I.C. engines in my experience.

Latest posts

Back