What are you making this weekend?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool!

They made it look so easy, a weekend should do it. It only took them six hours. ;)

Direct link;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jE-PXV-68&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Im sure I will bleed over whatever I am working on like this guy did ::)

I might scale it up x4 and build one in 24 hours ;D

Not one of those!!!

The design is a bit beneath me and outdated! :big:

Andrew

Now that we have the jet motor we may as well test it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnHr_SxkRU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]​

Everyone repeat after me. I will not try this at home. I will not try this at home. I will not try this at home. I will not try this at home. I will not try this at home. I will not try this at home. I will not try thi..........

Cheers :)

Don

Am I misreading the tone of this thread... are jet engines eeevil or something? :D Many years ago, I made a Wren MW-54 gas turbine from castings, and it went together well. These engines normally come with completed compressor wheels, as these are just turbocharger components, but much of the rest is only partially done, or just raw castings, like the inconel turbine wheel.

I had a lot of fun with the MW-54, but then Wren came out with their turboprop variation, and I HAD to have one. The turboprop is essentially their MW-54 with a different turbine wheel designed for gas flow and not thrust, but the all-important part was the propeller, gearbox, and turbine wheel that taps the gas generator output and converts it to shaft power.

I didn't feel like scratch-building another MW-54, so I bought their no-machining kit, and it did, in fact, take less than a day to put together. The fun and hard part was the rest of the turboprop.

These things pack so much power into such a small package, they are actually a bit frightening to run. Watching an entire liter of kerosene get converted into power, noise, smoke and flame in only 15 minutes is impressive!

Hey Swede,

Of course Jet turbines are cool and impressive. ;D

I think the sarcasm you are hearing is because this one is professionaly made in six hours. It would take us considerably longer.

I used to make and repair parts for CFM-56's and JT-8D's and spool them up in a test cell.

Talk about impressive engineering and power. It was awesome.

100_1013.JPG

If we had the equipment they have we could do one in six hours too.
Regards,
Gerald.

6061 from online Metals -$35.50
Bearings from McMaster -$3.75
VF2-TR from Haas - $105,995.00

Homeshop Turbine - Priceless

Sshire,

I have just bookmarked your site. Really, really nice. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ron.

I guess I was thinking the 6 hours referred to the technician putting together the already-machined components. I don't think there's any chance even those guys with their machines could take bar stock, raw inconel alloy, and sheet stainless, and make it happen.

In fact, there's no way. The investment casting process alone is going to consume a lot more, so the "six hour" thing HAS to be the time it takes the technician to take the prepared components and assemble them. :)

KustomKB - I'm probably flying around with your CFM-56 components, then... awesome engine. The power and reliability of modern tubofans is astounding. These things rarely crack 420 C EGT on startup and simply run and run.

The power and reliability of modern tubofans is astounding.

It really is amazing what they go through cycle after cycle with hardly ever a failure.

After doing a winglet mod to a 737 we did a max power take-off with 5 guys on-board and no cargo. I can't remember the numbers but I think we hit 30000 feet in 3-4 minutes. Felt like a 45 degree climb angle.

hehe, why not use 4 of them on a homemade wingbackpack and fly the skies?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/YvesRossy?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/11/LuL4Qjd6PTo[/ame]

Swede said:
I guess I was thinking the 6 hours referred to the technician putting together the already-machined components. I don't think there's any chance even those guys with their machines could take bar stock, raw inconel alloy, and sheet stainless, and make it happen.

In fact, there's no way. The investment casting process alone is going to consume a lot more, so the "six hour" thing HAS to be the time it takes the technician to take the prepared components and assemble them. :)

KustomKB - I'm probably flying around with your CFM-56 components, then... awesome engine. The power and reliability of modern tubofans is astounding. These things rarely crack 420 C EGT on startup and simply run and run.
I guaranty you they can't inspect it in 6hrs. :big:

Hi Guys,

I also think it should not be too complicated build the parts... but can we find trusted plans ?

Cheers,

Alexandre

Latest posts

Back