Very small engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris333

Reaction score
Can any one tell me if there are plans for this very small engine:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNLOByhAvI[/ame]
I'd like to build one myself.

Thanks
Chris

Don't know about the plans, but it's a nice looking little engine. It would be nice scaled up 3 or 4 times, as well.

Chuck

Chris333 said:
Can any one tell me if there are plans for this very small engine

Sorry, cant help you on that one but i do have plans for this one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqJ6heXO6U[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3qGLPN4E1Q[/ame]

Picture 002.jpg

Steve,
Man that is small. It looks like a wobble head, I was looking for the one I listed because it wasn't. But maybe I should try something like what you've done.

How can I get the plans?

Thanks
Chris

Chris333 said:
How can I get the plans?

Thanks
Chris

On the left side of the web page you will see "Downloads" right under where it lists all the users online. Click that

Scroll down that page til you see "File Repository" and click where it says "Downloads (114)"

Then make your way to page 5 and the file is "microHOSC.zip"

Chris333 said:
It looks like a wobble head, I was looking for the one I listed because it wasn't.
Ah, another Wobbler-hater. I was one, too, until I saw Shred's "Cracker" locomotive. ;D

I really like seeing the very small engines but lack the eyesight, tooling
or skills to attempt a build.

Some can get very small.
According to the people at Guinness World Records THIS is the world's
smallest working stationary steam engine. I don't know what judging criteria
was involved in making that choice, but it sure is small.

It will certainly NOT be on my to do list! :-\

(There is one misprint in that article stating. I'm sure it will pointed out. ::))

Rick

rake60 said:
I really like seeing the very small engines but lack the eyesight, tooling
or skills to attempt a build.

Some can get very small.
According to the people at Guinness World Records THIS is the world's
smallest working stationary steam engine. I don't know what judging criteria
was involved in making that choice, but it sure is small.

It will certainly NOT be on my to do list! :-\

(There is one misprint in that article stating. I'm sure it will pointed out. ::))
Yeah, that's quite a steam hog there... :D

Likewise, the little Jenny Wren build cured me of wanting to make tiny stuff for a while.

I'm curious about the valve on that though.. doesn't seem to be the typical D, what with the top open and all.

rake60 said:
world's smallest working stationary steam engine

I couldn't find any data other than outside dimentions. The Micro Hosc is shorter and the flywheel is .017 smaller. I would like to know the bore and stroke of the record engine. If I had to, I could go smaller.

I am quite sure you could Steve!

Truth is, presenting that challenge was the real reason for posting the link.
I am painfully aware of the fact that I cannot work on that scale.

I still like seeing it done and the records falling to the new best.

Rick

huff and Puff plans are available from village press in Metalworking book one page 241 but they should be able to just sell a set of the plans probably about $5 .
Tin

Chris,

Scale any engine plan down to however small you feel you can work to. That's what I did.

Bob

Thanks for the info. From that I found that the plans should also be in "Projects In Metal" Magazine Vol. 2 No.5 October 1989.

I'm a newbie so plans are a big help for me. ;D

Who's going to be the first one to do it in 1/2 scale?..................................LOL th_confused0052

the above book is a compilation of articles from projects in metal so yes it would have been in one of the magazines as well.
If you call village press and know what issue the prints you want are in it will save them some time and maybee you a couple of bucks. I have heard they will copy plands for you IIRC I heard the figure of $3 a few years ago .
Tin

I just scored the back issue on e-bay :)

Thanks guys maybe now I can build something.

Chris,

You might also want to consider building the "Millie" :

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6547.0

Plans are available in Sherline's Tabletop Machining book - which are a reprint of the original plans from Model Tech (?) magazine.

I just finished my "Millie" last month and will post a video and a build log in the next week or so. I built it on my Sherline mill/lathe. Very nice project if you are just getting started.

Mike

Back