V-4 oscillating engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing what Jeff was doing with the V-4 engine I just had to have one. I've been whittling brass for the last few weeks and finished it tonight. This is the first motor that I've built that I just bolted together and it started running with no tweaking at all. It runs smooth as silk from a "tick over" to top speed.

Thanks, Jeff! :bow:

Charlie

DSCF0063.JPG

It's single acting, but with four cylinders it is self starting.

Charlie

Hey Charlie,next time you ask for my plans I will only release them bit by bit, as I finish the parts first :big: :big: :big: :big: (you know I'm joking, right?) I certainly can't get my stuff done that fast :bow:

I didn't want to initiate a bunch of "show us pictures" replies, so I haven't mentioned that my V-4 is now a runner too :hDe: I have yet to make the flywheel, but this little engine runs beautifully without one! The reversing valve does a good job of restricting air flow and can work as a throttle quite well.

Charlie, what do we see under the reversing valve in your photo? Kind of silver color?

Stay tuned for pictures and possibly a video too...

Jeff, that's just some white lithium grease that I used to seal the reversing valve. Isn't it amazing how well this engine runs.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, it's amazing what these digital cameras can pick up :eek:

Here are some new photos of my build:
IMG_6881.jpg

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

And 2 videos. The engine is run off an airbrush compressor set to about 18 psi. As such, there is not much airflow compared to a standard shop supply. There is no actual fitting on the engine, just a 0.250" hole for the yet built intake. The fitting on the blue air hose just fits into the hole, but certainly does not seal. The reversing valve can restrict air flow to the cylinders and throttle the speed as seen in the second video (the first video has the valve fully aligned). This is actual speed- no camera tricks :eek: I further regulated the speed by allowing more air to leak at the hose/ engine connection- enjoy!!!!

ps: notice that there isn't even a flywheel yet!

Oh yeah Jeff! I like it when you can see what is happening, not terribly slow but not a blurry flash either. When/if you attach a flywheel to the crank it should be soooooo sweet to see, hey, maybe a dog drive and a prop shaft..... :noidea:

BC1
jim

Jeff,
That is a very cool piece! It looks great!

Can't wait to start this after my Crusader!

I can't believe it runs that slow. What will the flywheel do the the speed?

Thanks for posting,
Sean

great running engine, thanks for sharing it

and congrats, obviously :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks Rob and ariz,

Thanks Jim, yes it will get a flywheel, displacement lubricator, and a few other goodies. I have read that the original design was for a high torque, low-ish rpm application like a tug, but ?????

Thanks Sean, the flywheel should smooth out the movement, but I don't know how it will affect the speed- probably not much.

Very nice sound to ear :big: :big: :big:!!!
Paolo

Jeff,

Great build. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Good one Paolo :big: and thanks to you too Bob Thm:

Great runner, Charlie. Nice work! :bow:

Charlie,

Nice runner from you too. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

jthulin said:
I saw the plans in a book borrowed from the local library quite a few years ago.

I was looking at building Elmer's #27 V4 wobbler where he mentioned the engine is his rendition of Jan Gunnarsson's V4. Upon further search, I found this thread and I find myself wanting to build Gunnarsson's instead.

Do you remember what book you found the plans in?

Thx, Alan

miner49r said:
I was looking at building Elmer's #27 V4 wobbler where he mentioned the engine is his rendition of Jan Gunnarsson's V4. Upon further search, I found this thread and I find myself wanting to build Gunnarsson's instead.

Do you remember what book you found the plans in?

Thx, Alan
Steam and Stirling Engines You Can Build
ISBN Number 0-914104-06-3
LCCC No 80-50602
Published by Wildwood Publications

I found it on the internet as a download
http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/engeneering_technology/SteamStirlingEngines1.html
Regards,
Gerald.

Latest posts

Back