Transparent steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjpickard

Reaction score
Hello all,

New poster here...I am really a live steam loco maker but do love all the stationary engines too(steam, gas and Stirling)

My question is...I thought I recall seeing plans for a steam engine that was all transparent, made from acrylic probably. But I can't seem to find it in my back issues of Live Steam, Modeltec, etc...

Does anyone remember such a thing?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,I do not have a memory of that but i do remember some one covering the cylinder valve chests with ''Acrylic'' so viewers could see the valves at work,
All the best for now,
John.

There is one in Digital Machinist, is this it:

DM.jpg

I believe "Lucy" is the one in the DM mag. I also have this:

jdh0106.jpg

Thanks all, good references...except (and it could be me, see here for what I mean: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN-6PbqAPM[/ame])
What I recall seeing was a basic slide valve engine with Stephenson gear....

Here is one made of glass
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73txXT21aZU[/ame]

You can relay take any plan set you have and like and make a see through version . I personally like having a "real" metal engine on the table then a see through version next to it.

The first one built as Gail mentioned was Lucy .

thumb2_lucy_2.JPG

Then I built seymour an adaptation of the PM research #3.

seymour4.JPG

and then built Clair a see through version of the McCabe runner engine.

thumb2_Claire_3a.JPG

So as you can see have done a little work with Plexiglas and engines.

Tin

Those are nice Tin! Thanks all for the links, that glass one is pretty neat. I took a glass blowing class a few years ago, and its not easy. The class was for making scientific labware not "art" stuff, so I know what it took to make that thing.

Paul

Latest posts

Back