Tiny Inline 4 Cylinder IC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, for this weekends work I decided (FINALLY!!!!) on a design for the distributer.

It is for the most part a smaller version of George's inline 4. However I will be using screws to hold the distributer cap on.

I started by getting a basic shape from a 1 inch bar of aluminum.

CIMG1770.jpg

I left it large on the shaft so I could fit it in the collet all the way to the large end.

I then bored out the inside of the top.

CIMG1773.jpg

Next I put a 1/2" collet in and turned down the shaft to a more pleasing 3/8"

CIMG1782.jpg

Then off to the R/T to drill the holes for the cap and magnet bracket.

also, I milled out the screw tabs on the outside of the distributer, this way I can get it closer to the engine block.

CIMG1788.jpg

here is the rough distributer.

CIMG1789.jpg

Here is the hole/slot for the hall sensor. along with the screw holes.

CIMG1794.jpg

Now I need to make a strap to hold the hall sensor in place.

I first made a cup of sorts on the lathe with the ID and the OD to spec.

I then put in in the chuck in the R/T and freed the little straps which were hiding in the stock.

CIMG1795.jpg

CIMG1799.jpg

Here it is holding the sensor in place.

CIMG1796.jpg

and the inside. The sensor just fits snug and wont fall through the hole due to the tiny bit of ally left from the cut.

CIMG1798.jpg

Next I made the brackets which hold the magnets in place.

CIMG1803.jpg

CIMG1805.jpg

CIMG1806.jpg

CIMG1807.jpg

and here it is installed in the distributer.

CIMG1809.jpg

only 5 more parts for each one and I'm done with the distributors.

Kel

Slick work Kel! :bow: :bow:

I suspect you have a bottlecap type shutter to build next, thats the way to do it! ;D

Very nice work Kel. I think you'll be very happy with this design. It's simple and effective. The only other thing you might do is enlarge the holes enough to be able to move the magnet holder a little although I found you can be up to .06 away and still get a good magnetic signal.
George

Thanks Jeff, Checkedout, and George!!

Jeff, you are correct, It will be about the size of a bottle cap too.

Checkedout, Me too :big:

George, In my design I have less that .005 between the magnet and the indide of the trigger wheel. I was doing experiments with the "Tiny", and I had it running with a .1" gap between the 1/8" magnet and the sensor. In my distributer I have about .035" of gap, well see if it works I guess.

Kel

Geez, Kel, you make me feel like a blacksmith! I measure tolerances in increments of 1/16". :^)

Chuck

Watching and learning here. Nice work Kel.

Ron

I got some little odd jobs done on the engine over the past few weeks.

I made the smallest distributer cap and rotor I have ever held in my hand.

The rotor was a simple plastic bit with a brass contact across it.

CIMG1823.jpg

Next up was the cap.

I made it out of delrin. I started by making the blank then locating the part on the mill, all standard opertions.

CIMG1827.jpg

I needed to get the five nipples on the top of the cap somehow.

I seen a post from Hobby where he made a plug cutter to make spouts.

Here is my cutter. It was incredibly simple to make.

First I drilled a 3/16" hole in a piece of drill rod, then milled all but a little bit away to form two straight flutes.

here it is.,
CIMG1830.jpg

I made the cap nipples square first
CIMG1828.jpg

Then using my new plug cutter I made the nipples round
CIMG1832.jpg

and here it is, the smallest distributer cap I have ever seen. (it is .85" round.)

CIMG1846.jpg

after pressing some brass plugs in, she was done.

CIMG1847.jpg

CIMG1848.jpg

I also decided to make some sparkplug cables. I will need these for testing soon. the boots are made from delrin with shrink tubing on them. The sparkplug boots are r/c model gas line.

CIMG1856.jpg

And here is a part that brought a smile to my face, the smallest Equal Length Header I have ever held in my hand.

CIMG1859.jpg

And the progress so far.
CIMG1858.jpg

Some fun stuff done will help me get this engine finished.

However I am thinking about making a single cylinder version so I can play with cam and carb design. I think there will be less variables with one cylinder as opposed to two when troubleshooting design issues.

Kel

Way to go Kel,
Nice fabrication on that distributor,
I'm glad the plug cutter worked out good for you.

Your engine is coming together real nice.

Keep up the excellent work.

Kel, really enjoy this build. I like the distributor cap and rotor. The single cylinder sounds very favorable to me. Will be glad to follow that along. Keep up the very good work. Thm: ironman (Ray)

Absolutely fantastic!

Very nice work.

Alexandre

Awesome job on your engine Kel! And all the tooling to build it.

I am really digging the equal length headers. It's going to pay major dividends when we get it up on the dyno!

All the best on the final stretch.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Todays installment is bevel gears for the distributor.

I used what I learned in this thread to get the job done.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=10416.0

First up was making the blank

CIMG1901.jpg

Next I setup the mill to cut on a 45 degree angle on the R/T

CIMG1910.jpg

Here is the close up of the cutter and blank. I started by making the first twelve cuts on dead center.

CIMG1912.jpg

CIMG1914.jpg

Each gear required 36 cuts to create the correct profile. It was a slow, but exciting process, I enjoy seeing gears being made.

Here is one finished gear.

CIMG1919.jpg

and both in mesh with each other.

CIMG1921.jpg

Here is one of them installed on the distributor.

CIMG1925.jpg

Not making much progress, or as much as I would like, but I am still hopeful to finish by spring. I am getting the itch to build another engine, and another, and another............but for now I must concentrate on the task at hand.

Kel

Very pretty!
For some reason, making gears seems one of the more rewarding jobs. It looks like you have a pair of good ones. :)

That's just frickin' impressive. Nice work, Tel!

Chuck

O trabalho continua muito bom !!!

Ops... sorry... Is the emotion... :)))

The work remains very good!

Cheers,

Alexandre

Thanks guys, these were fun to make. I just hope my calculations are correct to get them to mesh. (*Fingers crossed)

Chuck, When I decided to make this engine it was a toss up between making bevel gears, or using your method of helical gear cutting. I would still like to try it, just need to make a milling attachment for the lathe first. I think helical gears would have been a better choice.

(Oh ya, it's Kel) :big: :big: but I don't mind :big:

Kel

Back