Tiny Inline 4 Cylinder IC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Master Craftsman, indeed.

Nice work on the whole project so far, as I said before, I like your ingenuity on the setups, also nice looking valve seat cutter tooling.

Great technique on the valves there Kel, I'll definitely be looking back at this post when I make my first i.c. valves.

Only problem is, you made it look easy but I bet it isn't!

Thanks.

Nick

Thanks Jeff, Hobs, and Nick.

Well, what good are valves without keepers.
These little guys were surprisingly easy to make, so I made a few extra because they are so tiny (I will probably loose one)

Basic Lathe work. I turned to OD to .166" and drilled a 1/16" hole about an inch deep.
CIMG1459.jpg

Then I moved it to the mill. A 1/16" end mill was used to make the slot.

CIMG1462.jpg

Back over to the lathe and with a 3/32" end mill I countersunk the end for the valve. This will "Keep" the keeper in place.

CIMG1467.jpg

Then part the peice off, it is about .040 long.

CIMG1469.jpg

And here they are.

CIMG1472.jpg

CIMG1473.jpg

I think these are the smallest parts I have made so far, I was apprehensive at first, but it was so easy I made 27 of them.

Kel

Kel, nice job on the keepers and construction description. For a guy that has only been in this a short time you are amazing me. I have to get over my mind block with small parts....

I like the way you made the keepers, Kel. Pretty inventive!

Chuck

Kel

Very nice work there. It is hard to realise just how small the parts really are looking at them until you see them all sitting there on top of the penny. Thanks for posting this log. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Thanks Everyone for your kind words.

deere_x475guy said:
For a guy that has only been in this a short time you are amazing me. ..

Bob, I owe it all to HMEM (and my machines)

Chuck, Thanks! I was not sure how els to make them efficiently. It got a little hairy parting them off so far out from the chuck, If I did it again, I would only go 5/8" max instead of 1.

Don, I am going out to purchase one of those Lights with the magnifying glasses on them. Oh ya, a clean shop is a pretty good idea, I have already lost a valve and 2 keepers to the "Swarf Pile" :mad:

Kel

Some more work done this morning.

I am trying to come up with some ways of making multiple parts efficiently and accurately. These rocker arms are another example.

I started with a 1/4" thick by 5/8" wide brass barn and milled it down to .156" thick.

I Drilled the necessary holes for the pivots and rollers.
CIMG1477.jpg

Then I flipped it and milled the profile. I used a 1/4" ball end mill to "Kiss" the edges to get a final thickness of 1/8".
CIMG1478.jpg

CIMG1479.jpg

Then I flipped it once more and milled the 1/16" slot for the rollers.
CIMG1482.jpg

Now it is time to "Part" them off.
Once again using a dial indicator to locate the part, I used a 1/8" end mill to cut them off.

CIMG1486.jpg

Here is the "Almost Finished" rocker arms. I still have to make to half holes for the pushrods.

CIMG1487.jpg

CIMG1488.jpg

Now on to the rollers and finishing them off.

I am thinking about making a tumbler to polish the parts, or at least take down the sharp edges. What type of medium should I use? Anything common and cheap would be great.

Kel

Really like your keeper method, Kel.
I am going to have some keepers coming up in a few weeks and will do them your way, or at least similar. It looks much easier than the way I made my last ones. It's a winner. Thm: Thm:

I think that I may try using a 1/16 ball end mill and put a slot in 5/32 brass stock with it so I won't have to drill the stock.

You are making great progress on an impressive build.

Gail in NM

Kel, check Mcmaster carr and do a search of finishing media. The ceramic will probably work well to remove the machining marks and deburr....you will need something like walnut shells for polishing afterward.

Thanks Gail and Bob.

I am going to check the gun shop for some tumbling media.

Here are some follow up pics. I had to remove a little material from the rocker arm holders to provide clearance for the rockers.

I also milled a little material away from the top side of the rocker arm to make it a little less blocky.

CIMG1489.jpg

CIMG1490.jpg

CIMG1491.jpg

CIMG1496.jpg

CIMG1497.jpg

CIMG1502.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

Kel

kcmillin said:
Thanks Gail and Bob.

I am going to check the gun shop for some tumbling media.
Go to the pet store... lizard bedding is ground walnut shells and corncob is also available there. Much cheaper than the gun store and works just the same.

If you need mass quantities, then hit up a sandblasting supply place.

Thanks Shred. To the pet store I shall go.

I have completed a very crude tumbler and am currently "Tumbling" the tine rocker arms and holders. They still have machine marks on them so I am starting out with glass beads from my blast cabinet.
-
I also added some small steel washers to aid in the de-buring. I will check every few hours to make sure it is not over doing it.

More updates later.

Kel

Kel, I would really like to see some before & after photos of those brass part you are tumbling. Also a photo of the tumbler. You sure put one together in a hurry.

Arv, I cant show you the parts yet, they are not done yet. (This tumbling sure takes awhile)

I do got some vids of it running.

I am using a mixture of glass beads, aluminum oxide, sleel washers, and a couple big bits to break up the parts when they get stuck together.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EKQkVrV3EI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EKQkVrV3EI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And what would it be without an action shot.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y54PPcXfRuM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y54PPcXfRuM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kel

Very neat Kel.
What's the purpose of that 'screw'? in the side? I see it poking in but was wondering if it could cause unwanted marks.

Zee, that screw was there to stop the barrel from moving forward in the fixture and detaching itself from the motor shaft.

This tumbler was a complete failure,(No surprise there, it only took me 15 minutes to make) although it did tumble, it did not do it reliably.

I have since made a new tumbler. I used a coffee can this time, it was places in a "Cradle" of roller blade wheels, with a motor turning one of the wheels to rotate the can.

I have not had good luck with my mix of glass beads, aluminum oxide, washers, and bits of ceramic tile. The tool marks were not even changing after 24 hours of tumbeling. They are very light marks too. I think the sandblasting agents were a bad Idea.

So I decided to try the walnut shells. I mixed in some shavings from a stick of polishing rouge and let her go for two days.

The parts were polished but the tool marks remain. I am thinking about crushing up some more ceramic tiles and not using the glass beads and aluminum oxide.

Am I wasting my time with the ceramic tiles? Should I get some "Real" tumbling media. (For removing tool marks)

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Kel

I think you're trying to do at least two steps at the same time which is probably why your results are less that satisfactory. Try removing the tool marks using an aggressive media. If you know anyone that does sandblasting see if you can talk them out of a cup or two of their blasting media, the coarser the better. Then after the tool marks have been removed and you have a matte finish you can polish the parts with the glass beads or walnut shells.

Long time lurker.
Don

Pat, I have had one of those sanders on the wish list for quite some time, I really need to get me one.

It has been awhile since my last post, but nI have been working. I made the 8 spark plugs I need, and then I received the 74 pieces of white corian pen blanks from e-bay, so I will make 8 more the way that Gail did for the "Tiny"

I also made the cylinder liners. I have yet to hone the little guys, it is going to be quite difficult to hold onto when honing so I might need to make a clamp style holder for them. Not sure yet though, I bored them undersized then used a .374" reamer to make the final bore, then I will hone it (Somehow)

Kel

kcmillin said:
I also made the cylinder liners. I have yet to hone the little guys, it is going to be quite difficult to hold onto when honing so I might need to make a clamp style holder for them. Not sure yet though, I bored them undersized then used a .374" reamer to make the final bore, then I will hone it (Somehow)

Kel

Wooden clothes peg ???

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back