This winter's project. A transmission for the 302 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,
Well the end has come! It's finished! Kind of anticlimactic because everything is now hidden. That Lexan cover sure would be nice but I don't think I'm going there.
I'm guessing with the drawings and build time I'm probably up in the 700 hour range.
I'm going to set up to take a video with it turning over in the lathe so I can show the shifting action and the change of speed on the output shaft.
I doesn't have the character of a steam beam engine nor the interest of a gas engine popping away but the darn thing is, to use a 60's term, 'really neat.'
The shifter is a copy of a Hurst that I had in a box from years ago. It required some creative machining to get the hemisphere shapes made for the pivot on the lever.
And now some final pictures of this project.
George D. Britnell

TRANS FIN 1.jpg

TRANS FIN 2.jpg

TRANS FIN 4.jpg

TRANS FIN 5.jpg

The final 4 pictures show the neutral safety switch and the reverse switch plus 2 overall side shots. I turned up the switch housings and simulated the plastic parts with black Delrin.
The shifter handle on the Hurst is chrome plated so I made this one from stainless steel with the idea of buffing it to a high shine but I have my high speed motor set up for grinding lathe tools so that will be in the future.
George

TRANS FIN 3.jpg

TRANS FIN 6.jpg

TRANS FIN 7.jpg

TRANS FIN 8.jpg

Really nice, George! I admire your patience and attention to detail. Doesn't get much better than this!

Chuck

Hi George,
Well as a realative new member to the group who doesn't have much to say except when I see some exceptional pieces of work. I followed this build fairly closely and many times you had me looking with open mouth. OK no steam floating around, banging and popping of an IC. Open crankshafts and rods flying every where. All enclosed in a beautifully made case, it will be appreciated those who understand the project.

Thanks Geoge for sharing

Barry G

Congratulations on Completing this Tranny!!! It has been truly amazing to watch you make it, and 'really neat' is an understatement, how about "Incredibly Awesome" and it is every bit as cool if not more so, than any IC or Steam engine.

Whats Next, a New Process 205 Transfer Case and a '79 Bronco to put it in ;D

Kel

Amazing work George. Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing all of the techniques, tips and tricks.

Exceptional workmanship, George.
I have enjoyed the journey all the way.
Gail in NM

:bow: :bow: :bow: PHENOMENAL :bow: :bow: :bow:

George, you have truly created a treasured work of art.

Jeff

Jaw dropping as usual George, thanks for sharing the build with us, on a side note you actually let me handle the trans at NAMES, thanks for the upclose.

But, George, the bar, I'm looking up and I can't see it anymore, oh well.
John

George
A magnificent example of craftmanship in metal. Having watched the project from Page 1, you have provided much inspiration along the way.
What next I wonder...
Pete

Nice work. Now comes the easy part. A scale hotrod ;D

George as always, your skill and dedication are inspirations to all of us. I have watched this little one come to life, and have been amazed and educated every step of the way

Thank you so much for sharing with us all. Can't wait for the video!

:bow:

Dave

Well George, all the superlatives seem to have been used but this really is a mechanical work of art and has been an inspiration to watch!! As much as I hate to see it end, I also look forward to your next project of dazzling craftsmanship, whatever it may be. You work, particularly on the case for the tranny was a huge inspiration to me personally as I have continued to slowly whittle away on the little B&S crankcase so I am indebted to you for that.

Bill

gbritnell said:
Kind of anticlimactic because everything is now hidden.
I doesn't have the character of a steam beam engine nor the interest of a gas engine popping away but the darn thing is, to use a 60's term, 'really neat.'

I think you have under rated this one a little. I think it has more character and interest than anything I have seen on this forum. An idea this original, completed with such a high degree of detail and skill is extremely rare. One of the things that gets me watching a thread is when someone has the guts to try something that has not been tried before.

One question!! Will the trans now be fitted to the 302 with a clutch disk and pressure plate?????????

wow george you will be building a car around it next.
Tin

George,

It's an amazing work of art! Having one in my '90 LX makes me really appreciate it. It's awe inspiring; as is all of your work.

Bob

George, as always a superb build and end result! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I have enjoyed the journey and am looking forward to your next project.

I learn something new it, it seems, every time I look at your posts.

Thanks for the classes "Teach". :D :D :D

Ron

George

There is nothing new to say that has not been said already. I have been watching since the beginning and I haven't been disappointed. Outstanding work George. th_wav

Cheers *beer*

Don

Latest posts

Back