This winter's project. A transmission for the 302 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George, I second everybody's comments, amazing job. One of the best things I've ever seen!
Looking forward to see what you do next.
Keith.

Thank you one and all for the gracious comments. As many of you know when doing a step by step build with pictures takes extra work, and time away from machining, but hopefully it helps someone just getting into the hobby or someone who needs a technique that is new to them. As with some of my previous threads the main idea was to help in this manner.
With this project out of the way I can finish up the hit & miss engines that I have taken on. Throughout the summer I will come up with the clutch/pressure plate setup for this project and when the weather turns I will get back on it.
I have been contemplating another engine build and really don't know exactly what it might be. I had bought Ron Colonna's Offy book a number of years ago and was thinking of doing one of them but at about 3/4 scale. Then there's one of the many radials just waiting out there. "So many projects, so little time."
Thanks again for all your interest and contributions.
George

George,

As usual, another exceptional piece of skill, dedication and pure craftsmanship. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Words fail me (and that doesn't happen very often). It's exquisite and another testimony to your skill.

If they ever build a model engineer's museum, your statue should be in the foyer.

Beautiful and inspiring work.
Looking forward to the video of it very much.

Brilliantly done as always George :bow:.

Thank you for sharing the build with us - a truly educational and inspirational build.

Kind regards, Arnold

All the above !

You inspire & humble me.

Thanks for the lessons.

Regards,
Ken

I spent a good part of this weekend reading and I might add drooling over this thread. My main source of income for the last 30+ years is in the transportation field as a diagnostician and mechanic. Today I showed a few of my fellow technicians the last pictures of the completed transmission close ups using the deception of it being a trans I was looking to purchase for a project just to gauge their opinions of the external appearance. You would not believe their responses when I told them it was a scaled down functional trans. Several were absolutely taken aback at the attention to detail used to replicate the billet parts appearance to be that of a casting and the quality of craftsmanship you have shown.

Utterly beautiful, and unbelievable are the most common responses I got! :bow:

Darren M.

George - Ditto on what's already been said many times over, a working work of art for sure :bow:

If they ever build a model engineer's museum, your statue should be in the foyer.

The closest place now is Sherline's Craftsmanship Museum. Let's start campaigning to get George enshrined there !!

Mike

ChooChooMike said:
George - Ditto on what's already been said many times over, a working work of art for sure :bow:

The closest place now is Sherline's Craftsmanship Museum. Let's start campaigning to get George enshrined there !!

Mike
I thought of that about 16 pages ago, he is already there, but this should bump his standings up a notch.

Gentlemen,
I finally got my camera set up to take a video clip of the transmission turning over. As stated not much to see but this just show the operation of the shifter and the changing of gears and speeds.
This will bring and end to this project. I sincerely thank everyone for following along and making their wonderful comments. This winter mixed with other projects should see the clutch and pressure plate completed.
George D. Britnell
[ame]http://youtu.be/dcLtBLC5yqo[/ame]

trans video setup.jpg

George-

I love it. I absolutely love it.

-Bob

Incredible :bow: :bow:

Kel

Great work George enjoyed following the project and learning new things

Thanks for sharing

Stew

George, That is so awesome......I have no words

That is just fantastic!

You are my hero!

Dave
:bow:

I've learned so much from this thread, George, and your transmission is stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations George,
Nice change box, I like your different proyect.
Regards,
German

Sorry if its been asked, do you plan on releasing downloads to all pages of your plans? While near impossible to replicate I think the mechanical aspects to the transmission on paper would help to adapt to custom build model transmissions. Without taking apart a t-5 or similar in the garage that is.

Back