This winter's project. A transmission for the 302 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I know it's only in the preliminary stages but this is what I have in mind for one of this winter's projects. It's going to be a transmission for my 302 engine.
This is what is called a T-5 made by Borg-Warner. It is a 5 speed manual that was put in the Mustang and many other cars. My son had one in his garage that he traded with another fellow. I dug it out and hauled it to my house. After a good cleaning I started taking dimensions off of it. As with any scale project this part of it takes many hours of measuring. The hardest part being that you don't have any square edges or sides as reference points. I have all of the outside shapes completed in AutoCad and have started on the gears and inner mechanisms. I have about 45 reference pictures in my file to use as I build this cad drawing.
I'm attaching a PDF drawing of where I'm at to this point. I have all the major views complete along with sectional views that are cut horizontally and vertically.
This is going to take some time to whittle from bar stock but it's only time.
George

View attachment T5 TRANSMISSION.pdf

WOW!!! If anyone can do it, it is you George. Looking forward to this build.

This will definitely be one to keep an eye on. Quite an ambitious project George, will look forward to your progress however long it takes.

Bill

George,

I can not imagine building a 5 speed transmission to the scale you are tackling.

The small bearings, gears and synchros boggle my mind.

I'll be watching this build closely.

Regards,

SAM

Great project G! I have always wanted to do a 3 speed but I haven't cut gears and they are expensive.

I had the T5 trans behind a 302 in a little ford ranger. It was my everyday driver for 4 years. It was a fun 4 years.

Awesome!!

Kel

George; Although I will probably never attempt something like this I will be following along faithfully. Your builds are so educational and I enjoy them immensely.

Ron

This should be quite the project, George, and you're just the man for it!
I'm looking forward to another thread of 'wow' education.

Dean

George,
Can't wait to follow along!
Dennis

what a project you have in mind George! :eek:

I'm hooked, following along

always wanted to see this done!
cant wait, will follow along :bow:

Great project. I have a TopLoader 4 Speed in my Mustang and I am always wishing I had a 5Th gear.

IronHorse

Very cool George! another great build to follow.

When you are scaling something like that, do you keep the number of teeth, and scale the DP, or do keep the ratio and pick a DP that's close?

Either way, some fine model engineering for sure!

In this case I would keep the pitch diameters and find a DP that will fit those diameters.
gbritnell

Thanks George.

Hello everyone,
Well I've been measuring and drawing, measuring and drawing, remeasuring, changing and I'm finally getting the drawings close to finished. I'm up to 14 sheets of parts and views. I just have the gear ratios figured out for the center distance that I need so I have to layout and draw how the splined shifter rings will engage with the gears. I went to the Stock Drive Products website and they sell splined shafting and splined hubs in various sizes and made from stainless or 12L14. With the large amount of splined pieces I have to make I think I'm going to buy premade items rather than making my own. I will have to make my own gears because most of them will be 40 pitch. I'm attaching a PDF of the side and top view drawn to the proper size, .3 scale from full. I have a piece of 3 inch square 6061 aluminum that I bought for the project. 8 inches was $43.00. Now that the drawings are nearing completion I'm getting antsy about starting on it but with lots of nice weather where I live I can't force myself to stay inside.
George

View attachment T5 TOP LEFT SIDE VIEW.pdf

Latest posts

Back