This winter's project. A transmission for the 302 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome! 3 inch square?! wow.

Dang that sun eh?

George,

I'm looking forward to you transmission project too.

My work looks like it was done with a hammer and chisel compared to what you turn out.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.

Regards,

SAM

gbritnell said:
Hello everyone,
Well I've been measuring and drawing, measuring and drawing, remeasuring, changing and I'm finally getting the drawings close to finished.
Now that the drawings are nearing completion I'm getting antsy about starting on it but with lots of nice weather where I live I can't force myself to stay inside.
George

George

I am looking forward to watching your masterful hands carve the transmission out of that block of aluminum.

Not living all that far away, I know what the weather is like this time of year and summer will be officially over in several days but then we get that nice Indian summer which to my mind is the favorite part of the year. Stay outside and soak up the sun and the beautiful fall colours because there won't be many days like this in February. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Well it's time to resurrect this thread. I started making chips the other day. The first steps were just layout and looking at my drawings to see how to proceed. I started out by putting all the drilled holes in the case on every side. Next up was to pull the vise off the mill table and put the rotary table up so I could cut all the angles edges on the front and rear faces. I made up a gauge button so I would have something to paper against to maintain my dimensions. With the ends cut I pulled the rotary table off and put the vise back up and indicated it.
George

TRANS A.JPG

TRANS B.JPG

TRANS C.JPG

TRANS D.JPG

This is the last update for today. I laid out the top surface for cutting the interior cavity. I'm going to drill out all the corners due to the depth of the cavity. The fillets are .125 and it will be too deep to work into the corner with a .25 end mill so I'll relieve them first.
George

TRANS E.JPG

I have been looking forward to this thread since you first talked about it, I am glad you are going for it. This is going to be fun to watch.

Lee

WOW George! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
That's a lot of work in just a few days. Its incredible to see you how quickly you can design and build your own creations. As usual, I'll be watching and cheering as your project progresses. :eek:

-MB

Glad to see that the weather has now allowed for more shop time George. This is such a fascinating project! Thanks for the progress pictures as well.

Bill

That will be interesting, do you intend to make it scale all the way with helical cut gears, scyros, and collars, or just a 5 speed workable trans?

Hi Tom,
Synchros and collars but no helical gears. After the post on making helical gears and a little studying on my part I determined that making one or two helical gears isn't too big of a deal but making ten is.
George

Well here's today's work. I had some running around to do so I got a late start. I set up the block in the mill, picked up the edges and set my zeros. I then proceeded to drill out the corners with a .25 drill. The inside pocket of the trans is just too deep to cut into the corner with a .25 ball mill. After drilling all the corners to the required depths I started milling stock out. This reminds me of making the crankcase for the V-twin engine. I got down so far and then had to start stepping around some internal bosses. I worked about 3 hours tonight and got quite a bit of hogging done. Tomorrow I'll have to slow down as there are quite a few angles and shapes in the bottom of the case.
Here's today's pictures.
George

TRANS F.JPG

TRANS G.JPG

TRANS H.JPG

TRANS I.JPG

Two last pictures for today's update. Piles of aluminum chips. Not counting the ones that are already on the floor.
George

TRANS J.JPG

TRANS K.JPG

This is definitely a must follow thread. I will most likely never be able to do this but it sure will be fun to watch. Thm: Thm: Thm:

Ron

Inspiring as always George and excellent pictures too.

Bill

A most impressive and ambitious project. Keep up the good work and good pictures. I will be watching.

Eric

Amazing George! :bow:

Question, how will you make the ribs on the outside of the transmission? This is normally something for a casting if you ask me.

Regards Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,
When I'm finished hogging out the inside cavity I'll start on the outside shape. I will leave the bottom flat until the very end so I can clamp the block in the vise with the ability to rotate it to the desired angles on the ribs. I have made the drawings with ordinate dimensioning (datum line) so I'll subtract the radius of the ball mill I'm using and give myself a witness along the edges of the ribs. From there I'll cut down to the case wall and finish up those surfaces. I'll post pictures as I go so you'll see how my madness proceeds.

Right now I just finished dinner and am headed back down to the shop to see if I can finish up the inside. I am using a long .250 ball mill for the fillets and I've already ground about half of the shank away to get down to the deepest depths.

I'll post some pictures of today's progress a little later on.
George

I got a couple of more hours slowly whittling away inside this thing. I tried to establish some absolutes like the side walls naturally but then cut witnesses for the depth and the tangent points along the walls where the angles start. I couldn't use my .250 ball mill. I ran out of shank, so I went up to a .312 ball mill. It's not that the larger fillet will hurt anything it's just that I wanted to keep all the inside fillets the same size.

I got one angular wall finished and with using the larger ball mill I'll have to recalculate my starting points for the other angles. I'll be glad when I'm done inside this case.
George

TRANS L.JPG

TRANS M.JPG

TRANS N.JPG

Back