This winter's project. A transmission for the 302 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's looking really good George.

You sure must have a lot of numbers rattling around in your head... :bow:

WOW, I second what Kevin said. These types of complex parts give me strange number related dreams.

I wish there was a smiley depicting me shaking my head with the shivers and saying "brrrbrbrrbbrbrbrb" to describe a thought of even attempting something like this.

Kel

gbritnell said:
I tried to establish some absolutes like the side walls naturally but then cut witnesses for the depth and the tangent points along the walls where the angles start.

WHAT???? Haahahaha!! Ya lost me at "I tried"

Awesome work G, as usual. You da man!!

Great piece of art George! And thanks for the explanation, believe I get the point of your approach for the outside shape!

Regards Jeroen

I finished up machining the inside of the trans case. There were 4 different step down angles that ran from the side walls to the lower surface of the case. There were 2 different radii that blended from the side walls down to the bottom. While all this was being milled I had to be careful not to bump into the bosses for the idler gear and the shifter rail. I'm not going to clean up the inside until I get the outside machined, that way I won't have to get my files, burrs and stones out twice.
Whew, I'm glad that's done!!!!
George

TRANS O.JPG

TRANS P.JPG

TRANS Q.JPG

TRANS R.JPG

This is a really awesome project can't wait to see it mounted and operational! So any plans as far as making a complete 1/3 scale mustang (Fox body GT? :D) to drop the 302 in? Or any of the other fords manufactured with 302's? Would take many years im sure but would be AWESOME.

The nice weather here has been cutting into my machining time but I still got some done. I started profiling the outside. I layed out center lines, ribs and bosses and started cutting. The first 2 pictures show the initial surfacing cuts. There was quite a bit of stock on this side due to the fact that it has 2 triangular ribs which project out quite a ways from the side wall of the case. The final picture shows the start of the profiling, stepping around ribs and all kinds of bumps.
George

TRANS S.JPG

TRANS T.JPG

TRANS U.JPG

Only a few days making chips and it's already taking shape, George. It's always an education with
your projects, and I appreciate your pictures and words.
Sure a lot to think about, and trying to imagine your thought process to keep just one cut from running
where it shouldn't fills my head up pretty fast!
Great thread already.

Dean

As was said earlier, this is a great thread. I'm watching with high interest even though I always come away feeling completely inadequate.

I know it's way to complicated to explain but you must have some method of charting out how and where you are going to cut. Does this method come from the die making industry?

How much would you charge me to live in your garage until the trans case is done?

stevehuckss396 said:
I know it's way to complicated to explain but you must have some method of charting out how and where you are going to cut. Does this method come from the die making industry?

How much would you charge me to live in your garage until the trans case is done?

Yes George, please do explain your "Kung-Fu" as it is far superior to mine! ;D

Hi Steve and Dave,

I really can't explain the thought process that 'I' use. I look at the piece and see what I have to remove. I start out with details like bosses and ribs and machine around them giving me witnesses to where my broader cuts are going to be. I leave all the fine machine work to the very end, working in one area at at time so I don't get real confused moving about the part. Kind of like doing a jig saw puzzle, you take areas that you can see right away and work around them.

Part of this might be from my CAD background in solid modeling. When building a part you start with the largest shape, create a profile, extrude it and then add and subtract pieces until you end up with a finished part.

It would be great if a few of us lived closer so we could visit each other's shops and see how projects are thought out. This forum is great but it lacks the personal experience of seeing just how some things are done.

George

Here's 3 more pictures of the left side of the case. This side has much more detailing than the other side so it should go quicker. The last sculpting will be the bottom. I can clamp the front and rear faces in the vise for that work. I have a few more angular cuts to do on some of the ribs and the milling will be done on this side.

The photographs show up all the tool marks when in reality they're not as bad as they look.

My mill has never made smooth cuts no matter how I adjust the spindle bearings. I even went to interlocking v-belts to take any vibration out of the machine but it still doesn't cut nice and smooth. It's just something I have to live with, or get another mill. At this point in my life I guess I'll just tolerate it.

George

TRANS V.JPG

TRANS W.JPG

TRANS X.JPG

Hi George,

I am amazed by your capabilities :bow: :bow:

You must have a special talent in accuracy, patience and concentration. I am able to make some cuts with great concentration, after that I start to make failures. Rotate the wrong handle, wrong direction, make a too deep cut etc. For that reason I love CNC, when the code feeded to the machine is correct the machine will do the rest. You seem to be able to manually simulate a CNC machine!!! This I would call the most ideal situation, real time programming error correction (in your mind) and the same end result.

Regards Jeroen

Thats just simply amazing. I would hope you have at least a DRO on your mill to help you out. I get lost too easily doing work like that.

George

This is great project!!! I will be following along.

Having seen what you do in finishing your parts I am certain that there will be no tooling marks visible in the end

Regards Eric

Thanks everyone,
Jeff, the answer to your question is yes I do have a digital readout. Actually I have done similar work without it so you see where there's so much time in some of my engines. When I built the 302 it was just by the dials.
Well I have both sides finish machined. It took a lot of extra time stepping around the filler plug boss. I had to sine/cosine the radius while resetting the depth as the boss sits on a 22 degree wall. Then there were the bolt bosses under the top rail. It was still less nerve wracking than the other side with all it's ribs and things. Tomorrow I can start on the bottom. By weeks end it ought to be all machined up and ready for the hand work.
George

TRANS ZA.JPG

TRANS ZB.JPG

TRANS ZC.JPG

Three more pics that I couldn't get in the last posting.
George

TRANS ZD.JPG

TRANS ZE.JPG

TRANS ZF.JPG

th_confused0052

Absolutely incredible.

WOW!!

Kel

George....absolutly one great build thread!!!...I need you and Steve both as neighbors...

Actually the forum of fine members as neighbors would be perfect!!!

Latest posts

Back