THE 33?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loctite acquired Permatex in the early 1970's. It gave them a gateway into the auto supply stores that Permatex already had a distribution channel into. For many years the Permatex part number contained the Loctite part number as part of it on the retail packages. In some cases it still does. But all the product was made by Loctite and just re-branded under the Permatex name. The original Permatex gasket compounds remained unchanged.

Some of this has changed in more recent years and many Permatex part numbers have no relation to Loctite part numbers.

Here is a link to a part number conversion chart including the ND industries part numbers for similar products. ND has some similar products, but are not as easily available as Loctite and Permatex but are commonly used in the electronic industries.
Gail in NM

http://www.electronicfasteners.com/pdfs/ndindustries/AnaerobicCyanoacrylate_Cross_Ref_Chart.pdf

Good bit of info Gail, Thanks. The Permatex I have is Item# 27100. The chart shows a dash next to the Loctite 271. Looks like a match. Printed a copy of the chart for future REF.

Thanks Matt

Started the Nut today.
33001.jpg

33002.jpg

33003.jpg

I used 6-32 tap on this for I don't have a 5-40. I will just the dimensions of the Valve rod for this.

About as small as I want to go. All in all, for the first piece for my first engine it went pretty well. One handed too. ;D

Matt

No stopping now!

The first piece seems to take me the longest, one handed or two! After that, I'm committed. To the process, I mean! But maybe should be put in the loony bin, too.

Keep on with that penny, Matt. Most everyone seems to like to see the scale of parts made on this forum.
M&M's are good for scale, too...

Dean

Got a few goodies this afternoon.
001-9.jpg

The brass for the #33, and a flywheel, and a darnet gots to make other flywheel cause I screwed this one up, and if you look real close there's a ball turner in there too......... :big:
After the tiny nut we're going for something bigger next.
002-8.jpg

Matt

Hey Matt, congrats! I disappeared down in the shop for a few hours and just came up and see your into it full bore! :bow:

Looks like you got a shipment from an online metal supplier.

Like Dean said the 'start' is the hardest, and now that your committed there's nothing that's gonna stop you now.

I'll be stopping in now and then to see how your project is progressing. I need stay down in the shop as much as I can and get serious about finishing up my project. I got side tracked with the chucks and back plates. And today I got side tracked again, by picking up some brass bar stock that needed to be cut up and marked. Now I'm in a bit of a panic as the end of the fourth week approaches. My plan was to finish in 3 weeks. These silly 'self imposed' deadlines are a carry over from when I worked.

After 8 years of retirement you would think I could shake it off and learn to relax. :big:

-MB

After 8 years of retirement you would think I could shake it off and learn to relax. :big:

-MB
[/quote]
Funny thing happened today. I was taking my 4yr old to preschool this morning, and after only being laidoff for 4 days, I was thinking about the machining to do when I got back home, and blew buy the turn to preschool, as I thought I was on my way to work. She said daddy you missed it!! I said I was sorry, I was thinking about something else. She said That's OK daddy, Just don't miss it when you come to get me. :big:

Used the fly cutter for the first time last night, And went pretty good after I stripped the allen screws putting it in the tool bit. Drill out, re-tap, readjust bit out the 1/16" I was short. When I was cutting I got a bit of a squeak when the trailing end of the bit had entered onto the work piece. I wasn't really chatter, just a squeak. I was cutting about .004 at 650rpm. About a 2.5" wide cut, with a carbide cutter. I sped the rpms up and down, but didn't seem to make a difference. I was using the power feed on its lowest setting, would just move the table. "slow, took like 4min to go the 5 or so inch's. ???

Matt

Not much progress today. Though the 4jaws showed up.
001-10.jpg

No progress was probably due to the orientation of the new apprentice........
002-9.jpg

Cant wait to see more progress Matt. Looks like you have plenty of material and a cute helper. Your set man!

That,s a very pretty assistant you have there! She'll be running the machines before you know it! :big:

I see you got your chucks. Good deal and that was quick! Are they what you expected, any shipping damage, are they from the Ohio seller, yada, yada, yada? Inquiring minds what to know! ;D

-MB

Thanks guys! She is quite the helper. She likes taking the blanks I cut and build stuff with them, In matter of fact, we're still looking for the chunk for the subbase. ??? Might be in one of her princess dresses.

As for the chucks, Yes they are from the great state of OH. They seem great for the price. The back plates won't be here til Monday. As you said MB they put both in a flat rate USPS box, and still hit me for shipping on both. Wasn't too bad though the both chucks to my door was $103. I guess when I planned on getting a 4jaw down the road, I figured it would of been over a $100 just for one. So thanks for the great find Rick. Wish I could of got 2 for 1 deals on the rest of my junk here. ;D

Matt

PS........Any Ideas for the old 4jaw?...............Mine has never been put together. Just read your reviews on it, and didn't figure it was worth my time. Its threaded for my lathe, so should be able to make something out of it? ??? ???

Matt, the only thing I can think of, is to bolt a flat aluminum disc to that's covered with threaded holes an get some use from it as a extra fixture plate. I had mine hanging around as a decoration till I boxes it back up and put it away.

They do make a nice wall decoration. :big:

-Mb

Matt, if it's the original 4 jaw that came with the 9x20 lathes, it's pretty poor for metal work holding. Sell it on ebay as a wood lathe chuck. That's what it really is, anyway.

Or, take all the jaw stuff out of it and use it for a face plate. Should be good enough for that!

Dean

Dean, Filling it full of threaded holes for possible mounting configurations would be a great idea. Getting some use from the useless. When I make them spindle stubs for the RT, this would work great for that.

Very cool, Matt!
Congratulations! It looks like a fine job. Seriously.

OOPS, Ya got a jump on me by starting your build. I been buzy re-arranging, cleaning, and day dreaming all day about simple improvements that I will probably not get to this year. Hauled out 4 bags of junk to improve the way the shop looks. I found a beautiful dual bulb grinder that's been buried and forgotten for 15 years, while I suffered with one that behaves more like a jack hammer than a grinder! I also found a lot of "What in the world did I save this for?" I'm glad its cleaned up a bit, you never know when some one might stop by to say hello. And I feel better about my shop with the few little improvements that I made. ;D

HEY! Sorry I got off topic. I just wanted to say that's a beautiful flywheel. First one, really? My first one (dozen) sold for scrap :eek:

Uh oh! The competitions getting tougher and tougher. :p

-MB

Haven't done anything with the brass center bushing. What do ya think solder or Loc-tite? Never soldered before, but there's a few other things to be soldered on this engine as per Brian's plans.

Glad to here you got the shop tidied up. Mine's got swarf from one end to the other. That's OK though, means I did something today I guess.

You pick the next candidate yet?

Matt

Latest posts

Back