THE 33?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Well here we are again past midnight. Being now it is officially past midnight is officially my first day of unemployment. So what better time to officially begin my first build. So today I'm going to start the "1handed Elmer's #33 Mill Engine in 3x scale. Going to start up scaling the plans and figuring a material list. A special thanks goes out to the designer Brian Rupnow for it is his plans I'll start this up scale build from.

Matt

333. I get it! Of course, you had to spell it out for me. : )
That's great, Matt. (Not about the unemployment. I mean about the engine.)
Please keep us updated on your progress, and with pics, of course!

BTW, the engine designer was Elmer Verburg.

Dean

The #33 is a nice engine. Wish I had built mine in a larger scale. At the time I didn't know you were "allowed" to change the plans. ;D

I change Elmer's plans every time I build one! ::)

He probably wouldn't recognize a few that I built. :big:

-MB

I-Hand----I am glad that you will be using the plans I did up. If you plan on this being a "working engine" I would either use a steel or brass flywheel (8" dia. x 1 1/4" wide is big enough)--or---use an aluminum flywheel with 6 equally spaced 2" holes in it at 60 degrees apart. If it doesn't have enough mass, then turn 6 2" diameter brass or steel slugs and loctite them into the holes.---Brian. By the way---at 3 times scale, that thing will be HUGE.

I'll be watching this. I like the bigger engines. I have been wanting to build a huge wobbler for some reason? ;D Remember how much everyone likes pictures ;D

Thanks Guys. Brian that is a great Idea with the brass Inserts. Not only functional but the bling factor will be out of this world. I also thought in the outer rim I could do like 1/2" holes close together and do the same thing. 8" solid brass flywheel would differently break the bank. Being I'll buy the Aluminium by the Inch, I should either go with 1'' or 2''. Can't afford a whole stick of 8" rod either........ But using 1" x 8" Aluminium with six 2" brass inserts in the center and how ever many 1/2" x 1" brass rod inserts in the outer rim I think would be enough..........or not?

Matt

Thanks MB; Will sure keep them in mind. Really think I like the Aluminium with Brass insert idea too. What you guys think.........................Yeah.........or..................ahhh No?
g1.jpg

Very nice looking and a very creative use of mixed metals, I like it! However, I don't mean to nit pick your idea, but honestly that's a whole lot of drilling! Might be the lazy in me that would try avoid all the extra work involved. Looks like more than half the aluminum in the disc will be scraped and replaced with expensive brass. It could be I'm influenced by the six miserable hours I just spent machining a bad piece of cast iron. ::)

Are you leaning towards a certain 'look' for the flywheel, or is making it heavy the only object?

-MB

Leaning towards a nomination on my first build............lol

The 33 has been done alot and just trying to put a different spin on it. Alot of waste I know, but there's that new RT and boring bar just sitting there whispering "come on, you can do it". I'm new with the 3D moldeling, so the center where the 6 bigger brass are will be inset aways. And a 45deg. chanfer between them. Couldn't seem to make the computer do that. Don't worry we had Words but, he still won and pic you see is what I got.

Matt

Oh, O.K. When you said a 'working engine' to crush beer cans I thought that looks might not be any priority. If that were the case then a 10 lb weight from a barbell set would do after adding a bushing. Unless of course your crank shaft is gonna be 1-1/2" in diameter. A 10 pounder that I have is 1" thick by 8-3/4" diameter. Using one and leaving Joe Weider on it might just get you that nomination, or not. :big:

Sell some empty beer cans to a scrap yard and buy that classy looking, 'award winning,' cast iron Redwing flywheel. ;D

-MB

When I brought up your link on them cast flywheels, I didn't see a pic of them. Are they spokes or have holes? They price is right. I haven't put a pencil to it yet, but I'm sure I could buy 3 of them compared to what I've got in mind.

Hopefully I'll have this done by this time next year. I sure would like to go out a see the Cabin Fever. Maybe I'll pick ya up on the way by if I go. Looking at all the pics of the different things out there, it sure would be cool to see with my own eyes.

Matt

Once you go over 4" to 6" on a flywheel casting the choices thin out quite a bit, and the prices go up. If you were to double the engine dimensions (332), that would give you a 1" bore with a 2' throw with a 6" flywheel. This is already a hefty size build. Also, take into consideration the size of your equipment (lathe, mill, rotab), and also the volume of air and pressure you'll need if you triple the size. If you need torque, that could be accomplished with pulleys sizes if you use a belt drive to power your project. You could also separate your projects, and power the can crusher with an electric motor (practical and acceptable) and build the engine project to a more manageable size (displayable and portable). This way you can start spreading and displaying your builds all around the house. ;D

LMS smaller flywheels; http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=1146097440

Source, with bigger flywheels; http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPflywheelslist.html

PM reasearch cast iron flywheel. Largest one available other than the Red Wing. FWC-4CI $32; http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/product.php?productid=3089&cat=4&page=1

Red Wing flywheel; http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/product.php?productid=3704&cat=346&page=1

I'm in for a road trip! Swing on by! I have to warn you though, I'm a repetitive/chronic talker, so bring plenty of Tylenol (or ear plugs). :big:

-MB

For a rotating mass like a flywheel, more mass at the perimeter is what you want. A cheaper/easier solution might be to find a piece of 8" iron or steel pipe, cut off a 1-2 piece, and make the spokes/center from aluminum.

Yeah I need to change something. Put a pencil to the material list and ahh.........that's not gonna work. I did forget how expensive brass is. Maybe the 332 in steel is a better choice. What if I change it up a bit and lengthen the crank and use two smaller flywheels opposite from each other. I just remember how I don't enjoy machining steel as much. Thing is I have a endless supply of that at work. The scraps are free for the taking. Maybe do it in steel with a nice paint job?

Matt

I like the way the cast flywheels look. A built up steel one would be nice to.

Why not make the flywheel out of 3/4" mild steel plate? If you are going for "fancy" you can cut spokes in it. If you are going for "functional", then just leave it solid and paint it.

Ok, We're going to scrap the can crusher Idea and go for a pretty. Sorry everyone for my case of ADD. I seem to think better out loud. I have a piece of 2x2 6061 here I can use for the cyl block. I have some 2" steel round for the heads that I could then paint prrrretty color. As for the fly wheel I have a piece of 8x8x1 of steel flat or I can get well casing pipe and have steel rod for spokes. Also the 12" of 2x2 I have would work for the sub base. I have 6061 I can use for the cross straps and guides. Also for the steam chest. Valve plate and cover could be made of steel and painted. Basically the only material I wouldn't have on had would be the brass bearings, piston, valve rod ends. These could be done in steel also, I think. Not sure about the piston. I think building the 332 would be a better decision for I have every thing here for that scale.

Input Gentlemen?

Matt

1hand said:
Ok, Sorry everyone for my case of ADD. I seem to think better out loud. I think building the 332 would be a better decision for I have every thing here for that scale.
Input Gentlemen?
Matt

I think your on your way to a beautiful fun filled build! :bow:

When your face is up against a tree, you turn around and ask your friends, "where is the forest? And they say "Were standing in it!" I know its a little corny.

That's funny! I get through the decision making process better when I think out loud (post), and with a listening crowd that's willing to throw in their two cents.

Well Matt, its time to tie up any loose ends, and start a-hackin! :big:

-MB

Back