Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crank bearings are done except for rounding the tops. Need to make a couple of filing butons for that.
Today I'm working on the crank. I'm making the throw plates from brass as that's all I have in round stock big enough. If I acuratly ream the holes in the throws for a light press fit on 1/4" drill rod, can I make the crank rods (3 pieces) to length and press them in and solder? Or am I asking for trouble?
The plans say to make the main rod one piece and solder, then cut out the center.

Chuck

In post 455 I showed how I fixed the interference. I trimmed the pin for the piston rod and added washers to the spreader. The brassbushes in the drop link were to small for me to try triming.

Chuck

What is the height of the screw heads ... ? Those you should be able to face off.
The washer solution may cause other issues later on.

Pat H.

For starters ... the Bottom Cylinder Head is 1.000 ... same as the spreader bars.
Now that part would need washers or shims.
Follow that extra width to the other mating parts ... some may no longer fit correctly.

You really need to fix the real issue for the interference whether it's the screw heads or other parts in that area, otherwise you may have all kinds of fit issues elsewhere.

Pat H.

I had the same problem when I made the metric version earlier this year, ended up skimming the heads on the bolts down to give me just enough clearance.

Paul.

A short update,
I've got 4 crankshafts finished, 4 more soldered, 1 "lost in process" and hopefully enough parts to make 4 more. The flywheels are still waiting
to be machined.
Chuck, I can send a crank so you can test fit the rest of your parts.
The flywheel will catch up in a few weeks.

Regards,
Maverick

Chuck,
I have the address list from Pat, one crankshaft coming your way.
Go ahead and try it and if everything looks OK I'll send out some more.
Sorry it's taking so long. I'm happy to have so much work, but spare time is rare.

Regards,
Maverick

Stuff happens, Maverick. I spent my share of time unemployed during my working life, and it's not fun. I'm retired now, and just keeping my head above water myself. Take advantage of the work while it's available. Keep on keepin' on...

Chuck

Got the eccentric turned and drilled today. Even made a couple of slotted set screws to secure it. Many parts scrapped/remade today. Tried making a jig for making the slotted set screws. Drilled and tapped a piece of 3/8" mystery steel 6-32 to hold the screws for slotting. Ended up using a dremel cutoff blade and mandrel on the mill to cut the slots. cut the set screws to length with a set of crimping pliers that had the screw cutting feature.
On to the eccentric strap tomorrow.

Chuck

Completed the eccentric strap and eccentric rod today. I am weel pleased with how it came out. Eccentric rod clevis is started. Had to stop to watch the last 60 laps of the Dover race!
Still need to mill the crank journals to shape and pin them, or maybe solder as the locktite I used is not holding. Probably because it's 40+ years old...
Anyone else making the missing parts?

Chuck

Well, it's complete! I finished the eccentric strap this morning. Now the rebuilding/adjusting begins. I have to rework my crank as it's a bit wobbly. As I mentioned previously, I assembled the crank with Perma-Lok anaerobic sealant/adhesive, but it's real old and didn't hold. I'll take better care reassembling it and probably silver solder the parts this time. The only problem I see is freeing it up enough to run slowly. I can turn it over by hand and with my cordless drill but lots of drag yet. I lubed the engine with graphite lock spray and that seems to help. I may add oiling holes or oilers to the crank bearings and the beam pivot bearings. Need to get one of those needle oilers!

Pic's attached. Tried to attach a video but AVI format was rejected.

Chuck

DSCF1406.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

DSCF1408.jpg

woohoo1woohoo1I reworked the crank and soldered it, actually soldered it twice! Got it cleaned up and reassembled. Still a little stiff. Had a heck of a time with timing. Finally, IT'S A RUNNER! Video here:

http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/media/DSCF1411_zps580b99dc.mp4.html

Forgive the black mess, spray graphite. And forgive the shortness of the video. I am tickeled beyond words! woohoo1woohoo1

Chuck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back