Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like that formieca base. I wasn't to keen on it when I saw it earlier in the thread but the light colour actually goes well with the aluminum in my opinino.

Glad it's running for you!

Way to go chuck :cool:
Looks fantastic th_wav.
Do you plan to add any paint to it?

Pat H.

No paint other than that on the plaque, Pat. I still have a bit of finishing, and cleanup to do. That will be a lot easier now that I know it will run. Thanks Team, I've really enjoyed the build. It has really expanded my skills and boosted my confidence.

Chuck

Just a comment on the operation of this engine. After I got the timing set and the engine running, it would stop often. The nut I used on the eccentric pivot arm came loose. I reccommend loctite on it.

Chuck

Ninefinger and Maverick ...

How about a update on your parts? :confused:

Thanks,

Pat H.

Hi All,

I'll keep it short - here's the visual report on where I'm at.
1st pic is all the parts good, in progress and bad, 2nd is just the "good".

Its the eccentric strap that is giving me grief - steel, small drills and taps, small part holding and a homemade cnc with backlash are all driving me crazy trying to make these parts. I've got 2 finished eccentrics - but they need to be lapped in to run smooth. I haven't done the bearings blocks as I thought they would be easier but I may jump to them to get some real progress...

Not much time to play lately but with the kids school and "winter" activities done as of tomorrow I am going to make time to hold up my end of this team effort.

Thanks for your patience guys...

Mike

Image00001.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Looking great mike. I'm glad your still with us.

Dave

Mike,

Thanks for the update ;).

If there is anything we can help with ... just let us know. :)

Maverick,

Any news? Did you send Chuck a crankshaft?

Pat H.

I did not receive a crankshaft. I went ahead and made my own. My beam is complete and running.
Now I'm thinking about making a flyball govenor for it. I'm really interested in the Pickering because of my name.

Chuck

I did not receive a crankshaft. I went ahead and made my own. My beam is complete and running.
Now I'm thinking about making a flyball govenor for it. I'm really interested in the Pickering because of my name.

Chuck

I suspected that was the case. The picture of yours didn't match Mavericks.
But I wanted to be sure.

You did a nice job. Keep us posted on your mods.

Pat H.

Here is a peek at the crankshaft progress. The one in the foreground is
freshly silver brazed and the other has had a bit of cleanup.

crankshafts.jpg

My previous silver brazing experience was on carbide form tools and various industrial repairs where appearance was secondary. There is quite an art to keeping the silver confined to just the joint and not run all over the place. I was happy to find that runout was minimal after the main shaft was cut.

Regards,
Maverick

I've heard that "White-Out" will prevent the silver solder from running outside the lines. The little bottles that have a brush in them sounds worth a try. (Whadda Ya Mean, it's not on the shelf anymore? Just ask the most senior clerk at the stationary store & she'll find it for you) I;ve never used it as my jobs (brass stamps) are not that appearance sensitive.
Keep on keeping on Guys! Looking Good!

IrnHed

Hi guys,

I'm still here but unfortunately I can't make it into my basement workshop to make any parts despite an abundance of time...
This is due to my breaking my leg (3 breaks actually) and having an external fixation (rods and clamps) while I wait for surgery (long story why I haven't had it yet..).:Doh:

Rest assured that as soon as I can make it to my shop I will continue building as there is only so much interesting stuff on tv and the internet.

Regards,

Mike

Last edited:
Mike I hope all goes well. I'm not in a rush I hope to get everyone's parts and not make any as to have a complete team built engine. I hope maverick will come back in the build. Get well and take care of the leg

Dave

Mike,

That must have been pretty bad mishap .... :eek:

Take care of yourself. When you get to feeling better and able to move around again ... careful on those stairs ;) ... then maybe you can continue building.

Looking forward to some great parts.

Pat H.

Slow....
I now have 3 plates and a pile of screws holding my lower leg together in proper alignment.
I am not allowed to put weight on my leg for 3 months which will bring me to the end of October. I am feeling better with almost no pain most days so that is good, but standing on one leg is not much fun and I find myself wiped out after the work day.
I haven't forgotten about my commitment here - I found a few tips for how to produce the parts that have been giving me trouble and I hope to be able to give them a try out sometime soon - even if its only for a short time in the shop.

Mike

Great to hear. I hope your path stays straight. I just wish our other missing person would check in

Dave

Checking in to see if there is any progress on the missing parts? Mike I hope you are getting better.

Dave

I am getting better. I've been walking without a cast for 1 week now. Still can't stand for long periods (ie 1 hr +) due to swelling in my leg but it is getting better and I will be getting more shop time as the winter progresses. (no skiing or hockey for me this winter:wall: )

Funny enough today was a day off for me (my 1st since going back to work) and I did get in my workshop for almost an hour to try and clean up a touch. Its just one giant mess right now.

I do have a new plan of attack for the little eccentric straps that have been giving me a hard time - hopefully this time it works.

Mike

Mike,

Great to hear that all is well and getting better each day. ;);)

But don't overdue it, the cold weather may give you and your new hardware some pain.:eek:

Anyone else up to an update??

Pat H

Latest posts

Back