Surface plate maintenance/ care

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikhil Bhale

Reaction score
Hello,

Until recently I was using a granite countertop piece as a surface plate. I recently purchased a granite surface plate. Its a 0 grade plate 300 x 300 x 75mm size. I got it for around USD 50. It came with test certificate and the values were hand written. So I think they must be somewhat true. Anyways this plate is overkill for my home workshop.

I wanted to ask about the care and maintenance for the surface plate. What things to do what not to do? Any special things to look for?
IMG_20230614_124346.jpg

Regards
Nikhil

First, make a rigid cover that has at least 12mm clearance over the working surface. 18-20mm timber or plywood is sufficient to protect the plate from "stuff" set on the cover (and it will be!). Second, the only items on the plate should be the work and appropriate tools. Otherwise it becomes a catch-all. To keep it clean, use a non-abrasive cleaner (soap solution) or a solvent that does not leave a residue, such as methylated spirit, acetone, etc.; and use a clean, soft cloth to clean and dry it. Clean the plate after every use, and dust it before you use it again.

I agree with the advice above about making a cover.

For more information that addresses your concerns, go to YouTube and search for videos from Starrett and Suburban Tool. To cut to the chase, Suburban demonstrates cleaning a plate with household ammonia.

I'd very much agree about building a lift off wooden top for it as a way to protect the plate when it's not in use. Simple Windex window cleaner works well for cleaning them. High accuracy metrology equipment is always extremely delicate due to that built in level of accuracy. Any parts going on the plate should first be checked for burrs, contamination such as chips etc. so your nor scratching the plate surface. Machined parts, height gauges, surface gauges etc should be slid onto the plate from the plates edge for a couple of reasons, it lessens the chance of dropping any part or tool onto the plate, and will tend to help wipe any dust or contamination that might have been missed off the bottom surface. Air born dust is a constant issue with that level of accuracy as well, if my plates been uncovered and exposed to the open air for any real length of time, I clean it again before it's used. And for my surface plate, absolutely nothing goes on it that doesn't need to be there, and for the exact reasons I even have a surface plate. I've seen various Youtube videos showing surface plates littered with tooling that had zero need to be on the plate, that practice can help create damage and extra wear on something that needs to be protected and used for the purposes it was intended for.

With an off shore low cost surface plate, there's no way to be sure that certificate is trustworthy or not. Very very few of the one's buying these plates would have the experience, knowledge and expensive equipment available to properly double check those accuracy claims on that certificate. My Vertex rotary table also came with a fancy certificate of accuracy, except for the few items I could check such as the table flatness and Morse Taper run out didn't match what the hand written test certificate says. So I'm highly suspicious of it's worm and worm wheel accuracy claims as well. Years ago I did buy a fairly cheap pair of 1,2,3 blocks that claimed to be at or under .0002"guaranteed accuracy, years later I actually had the proper equipment to double check that, very surprising they did in fact match what the manufacturer claimed. But and depending on what you bought that plate for, it's actual level of known accuracy may or may not be all that important. If it's only for simple marking out of parts, it will be fine. Checking tooling and parts for how flat they might be or for hand scraping machine tool parts to a high degree of precision and alignment is a different story. Part and hole layouts are fairly inaccurate, multiple times less accurate if you still center punch hole locations. That practice is still good enough for most fabrication type work, but for fully machined parts, it's a technique that should have died out in the late 1800's. With my feed screws I've personally checked, or my dro, I only do part layouts as a visual double check I'm making my cuts on the correct side of a complex part or in the waste material.

Gosh, there are some serious people on here :)

My (cast iron) plate came out of a pile of scrap,and was very rusty. I got it flat-ish with two other questionable plates belonging to others (because I read you had to rub them in threes) using valve paste, and now it has to live under a partially enclosed lean-to where I sometimes remember to oil it (or it'll go rusty again). Threads like this make me think I should do better...if I ever move house and have more space!

Protection with wooden covers gives you a nice additional workspace. I use two surface plates of about 500x500 mm. The cast iron one is more expensive and less precise than the granite one. Small mishaps cause indents to the granite so don't affect precision much, but cast iron has the additional benefit that it will hold a magnetic base so you can reach out for awkward measurements. For more precise measurements on the cast iron you always have to check for scratches and if found stone them out. As a side remark: my grandson asked a welding course for his 14th birthday. We both attended and he has digested it much better than I do. He fabricated the supporting frames for the surface plates.

Protected.JPG

Fit for use.JPG

50 $ is quite cheap. I would not make a box. Just buy a new one when enough things pile up on the old one :cool: Get new base every time and extend the work area that way.

Gosh, there are some serious people on here :)

My (cast iron) plate came out of a pile of scrap,and was very rusty. I got it flat-ish with two other questionable plates belonging to others (because I read you had to rub them in threes) using valve paste, and now it has to live under a partially enclosed lean-to where I sometimes remember to oil it (or it'll go rusty again). Threads like this make me think I should do better...if I ever move house and have more space!
I bought a casti iron surface plate. It rusts but no prob as I never have had any need for any use that it could not provide. I too have to grease it in order to keep the rust off. Not oil because I rarely use it and oil evaporates eventurally.

Your grandsons welded tables for the surface plates are beautiful. You have something to treasure.

Not totally necessary but leveling in a specific location with three pads and having a fourth foot to stabilize works well if you have tall height gauges.

Back