Steam loco project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainman142

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for advice on how to get started in scratch building a live steam locomotive in 2 1/2 inch scale, 7 1/2 inch gauge. The loco I'm trying to build is simple simple in design(I.E. it has no air brakes, no dynamo, and no automatic oilier.(I'm using a displacement lubricator, like the G-gauge live steamer's use.)) 0-4-0 meant to look like the Accucraft Ruby(Or any small industrial loco). I have very little money, but I have access to a full machine shop, and am willing to wait as long as it takes to build this thing. Any advice (I.E. where to get materials fro a low cost, where to get the necessary fitting's, and where to get casting work done for a decent price) will help.

Regards, Alex English

I am building a 0-4-2 RT, with castings from Alan Models, who used to be in Calif, but just has been sold to a guy in Michigan, I believe. These castings have been around a long time, and all I have heard of is good reports.
Google Alan Models, and I am sure that you can find parts.
If you would like to see my progress, let me know.
Bob Hamm
[email protected]

Hey Bob

How are ya!? Would love to see some photo's of the 0-4-2 ! Tell us about yourself.

Dave

trainman142 said:
Hello, I'm looking for advice on how to get started in scratch building a live steam locomotive in 2 1/2 inch scale, 7 1/2 inch gauge. The loco I'm trying to build is simple simple in design(I.E. it has no air brakes, no dynamo, and no automatic oilier.(I'm using a displacement lubricator, like the G-gauge live steamer's use.)) 0-4-0 meant to look like the Accucraft Ruby(Or any small industrial loco). I have very little money, but I have access to a full machine shop, and am willing to wait as long as it takes to build this thing. Any advice (I.E. where to get materials fro a low cost, where to get the necessary fitting's, and where to get casting work done for a decent price) will help.

Regards, Alex English
Alex, Allen models of michigan has castings for a 0-4-2, they call it a chloe, it is a 2 1/2" narrow guage loco that is like many plantation engines were. the complete set of castings is $1605

The Allen models are now owned by Marty Knox. There are a number of Chloes running today, and are supposed to be fun engines. They are reputed to be only fair steamers.

I'd recommend against using a displacement oiler; you can fabricate a lubricator that will work well.

Good luck on your locomotive!

A good resource that I use has classified ads for all manner of 1/8 scale live steam equipment and suppliers...as well as links to local clubs in and around Iowa:

www.discoverlivesteam.com

Cheers

Latest posts

Back