Spin Indexer - looking for mounting advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kquiggle

Reaction score
Just purchased a spin index, and I am looking for advice on mounting it on my small mill (LittleMachineShop Model 3900). I have read all the posts I could find on this topic on this forum (and others), and have decided (tentatively) to go with slots in the base. However, before I go there, I would like to ask:

1. I decided on mounting slots over mounting holes as I think this will give me more flexibility - am I missing something here?

2. How should the slots be located?:

- one on each side near the middle
- one on each side, one toward the front, one toward the back
- two slots on each side
- something else

3. What about just clamping? I did a quick and dirty test with just clamping the base down, and it seemed to work okay. The clamps take up more space than I would like, but I think this could be minimized with some purpose-made clamps (and also mill a flat spot on the top).

I should also note that I am not going with the method of mounting it in a vise, because my current vise is too small, and I'm not ready to get a larger vise yet.

If you are using a spin index on a small mill, please let me know how you mounted it, and how well it is working for you.

Thanks

One slot either side to match the slots on my mill is the way I went but have to admit I normally clamp it in the vice!

IMGP1758_zps77f1a950.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Looks like we have the exact same model of spin index.

I was leaning towards the one slot on each side option. When you use the slots, how does that work out for you? Have you experienced any problems with tilting or rotation? I also noticed that you did not mill the top surface, as I have seen done by some to provide a level surface for bolting down - any thoughts on that?

What has been your experience with the PF70-5C model in general - are you happy with your purchase?

Hope I didn't ask too many questions!

I would make a plate with a t-shaped cross section with the horizontal piece wider than the base of the spindex and screwed to it, and the vertical bar equal to the width of your table slots and less height than the slot depth. Then you could either use it directly on the table with clamps, or just use the vise to hold the vertical bar portion.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I should have mentioned that I already found a bunch on links on this (scroll down to "Spin Indexer"):

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links#millingtools

The basic methods I found:

1. Mill sides and clamp in vise (I don't have a vise large enough for this - yet)

2. Make a mounting plate - still need to mill slots or drill holes; this also uses up some vertical space. I think there are some set-up advantages to this if a t-slot registration bar is included. On the other hand, I am of the school of thought that truing up really doesn't take all that much time.

3. Mill slots for bolting to the t-table.

All of the above methods have their good points, but I have decided to go with slots. Now, I just have to decide how many slots and where. Right now, my thinking is this:

- one slot on either side (less milling involved, and no point in taking more metal out of the base than necessary)
- position slots slightly behind the midpoint - this is on the theory that with most of the weight and stress on the front of the indexer, it makes sense to move the clamping force a bit more toward the back.

Am I off base here (no pun intended), or does this make sense?

I posted that link already in post #5 above ...

Latest posts

Back