Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I reached into my jar of superlatives but it is already empty. The twins look spectacular, and I can't wait to hear them running. It looks like they're pretty close bar fuel and ignition, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle those (saw your drum carby drawing).

I picked up some 6061 just the other day and am thinking V8ish thoughts...

T70MkIII said:
Steve, I reached into my jar of superlatives but it is already empty. The twins look spectacular, and I can't wait to hear them running. It looks like they're pretty close bar fuel and ignition, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle those (saw your drum carby drawing).
I picked up some 6061 just the other day and am thinking V8ish thoughts...

I don't know how to break this to you but the blocks are empty. I just started this project early June. I still need to make everything. I was going to make cylinder liners today but it was too hot. I figure about 10 months to go.

The good news is, this thread will be around for quite a while.

Sorry!! ;D

Sorry Steve ... I caught the bit about liners, but must must have missed that little bit about empty blocks! I guess I was thinking about some of your earlier builds, camshaft threads and the like, and getting ahead of myself. I'm happy to watch this thread for as long as it takes. Awesome work.

Hello All!

Had the chance to make some cylinder liners today. Having so many to make, I decided to predrill the centers so it won't have to be done on the lathe.

DSCN0489s.jpg

I make my liners with 3 diameters to make the liners easier to press in. The problem with that is, it makes it easier to screw up and have to scrap a piece with one more diameter to have to hit.

DSCN0491s.jpg

I turn the liner ID to .015 - .020 smaller than finished size. I like to press them in the block and binish the bore installed.

DSCN0494s.jpg

I part the liners off long so the deck of the block can be milled to match the liners. Then the part is rotated and a skim cut is taken to smooth the surface for pressing.

DSCN0496s.jpg

With the 3 step liner and the bore to match, the liner drops in more than half way making it easier to push in. I use a Q-tip to paint on some green loc-tite and send them home.

DSCN0500s.jpg

One down, one to go.

DSCN0501s.jpg

The engines are looking good, Steve.

How much interference fit are you using on your liners? Are you warming the block up any before pressing the liners in?

Also, I think you mentioned oil seals for the crank back some time ago. Where are you finding seals this small?

Thanks.

Chuck

kuhncw said:
How much interference fit are you using on your liners? Are you warming the block up any before pressing the liners in?
Also, I think you mentioned oil seals for the crank back some time ago. Where are you finding seals this small?

I make the liners .0005 - .001 larger than the bore, use green loc-tite, and ram er home with no heat. The green is very thin, almost water like and creeps into very tight spaces.

WM Berg has all the hard to find small stuff.

Steve, I have to thank you for posting the WM Berg link. They have some great stuff and appear to have better selection than SPI.

The engines looks great. I've been following the build from the beginning, it's always great to see the parts you uncover inside the raw stock.

Greg

stevehuckss396 said:
I make the liners .0005 - .001 larger than the bore, use green loc-tite, and ram er home with no heat. The green is very thin, almost water like and creeps into very tight spaces.

WM Berg has all the hard to find small stuff.
Steve I am amazed everytime I check your progress. I made the mistake of showing swmbo your engines....

You probably all ready know this but a shrink fit has 3 plus times the amount of resistance that a press fit has and is easy to do. Then again you are using loctite......

deere_x475guy said:
You probably all ready know this but a shrink fit has 3 plus times the amount of resistance that a press fit has and is easy to do. Then again you are using loctite......

A shrink fit is really not needed. The head will hold the sleeve in. Just need to make them water tight.

dieselpilot said:
Steve, I have to thank you for posting the WM Berg link. They have some great stuff and appear to have better selection than SPI.

Hi Greg. Berg does have alot of stuff that others do not. There prices are higher than SDP so i purchased the distributor gears from Berg and all the other gears from SDP (Stock Drive Products)

Hello All!

Found some garage time so i sprang into action. Setup the block and indicated it in.

DSCN0504s.jpg

Took a cut across the deck surface to get the liners down to the deck height.

DSCN0505s.jpg

Then I ran a boring bar thru the cylinders to bring the holes to size. and called that done.

DSCN0507s.jpg

Then I made the 32 lifter bushings for both blocks.

DSCN0509s.jpg

Tomorrow the other block will get finished.

What a fantastic project. I'm eagerly awaiting each new installment, and learning lots just by seeing how you've made each part.

Keep it up!

Andrew

th_confused0052 Stunning work Steve. They look fantastic!

th_confused0052 th_confused0052 th_confused0052

you are a master, Sir.

tom

Good grief, I'll stop machining I think, I'll never be able to do that...

Bravo, Steve...

Back