Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breathtaking Steve
I can hear her Now :bow:
Pete

Awesome Build Steve!.....Damn Berg is expensive...

I'll poke around and see if I can find anything.....

Dave

Those Berg gears are pricy, but look nice and they are stainless steel.

I found 48DP, 15 tooth, 0.313 pitch dia, brass miter gears at Stock Drive Products, for about $18 per pair.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=305&GroupID=271

Steve, you have over twice as many teeth on your gears, 35 vs 15 on the SDP gears. Is there an advantage to the higher number of teeth?

I'll keep Berg in mind for seals and other hard to find items.

Regards,

Chuck

Well SDP was were I was going next...then BG...who usually doesn't carry the small stuff...but you never know.

Good find kuhncw

Dave

kuhncw said:
Is there an advantage to the higher number of teeth?

I prefer the stainless and I like the fine adjustment when I'm trying twist the distributor one tooth. The distributor in the V8 will only turn 30 degrees before running out of adjustment. Makes it easier to setup the ignition.

I guess it's just one of those things that I feel is worth paying a little extra for.

Well I have just uncovered a major problem. I have drilled the distributor hole in the wrong spot. Must have had some kind of brain fart that day. Tomorrow I will have to start the long process of total disassembly of the engine. The holes will have to be plugged in the block and manifold. They will have to be redrilled and then everything reassembled. It ain't going to happen today. I'm too disgusted with myself.

Well that does genuinely suck now doesn't it :eek:

Hang in buddy...You can fix it..

Dave

vedoula said:

Not a huge problem. All I need to do is plug the block. When I made manifold(s), all 3 came out good so I can switch out to an undrilled manifold. The plug should be completely hidden by the intake.

This kind of stuff happens to even the best of the best. I remember when George was making the transmission case came upon something unexpected. I'm sure all of the cream of the crop around here have an awe $h!t moment. Just have to get past it and keep moving forward.

I'll find out there is a problem. I'll get mad for about 10 minutes. Then I'll stand over the boo boo and figure out what you need to do to fix it. In the house for the night and the next day with a calmer and clearer head, you get the boo boo fixed.

It's all part of the hobby!

Steve,

Sorry about the "genuine suck".............glad it's going to work out OK.

It started me thinking what a "non genuine suck" would be like and having plumbed the depths, I think I'll leave it alone. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

stevehuckss396 said:
genuinely? Don't know why but that made me laugh!! Thanks!

Genuine Sucks are the Exquisite sucks....you know the ones ..When you desperately want to set your head on fire with lighter fluid and put the flames out with an ice pick kinds of Sucks.....These sucks are usually associated with spastic redecorating of shop walls with high velocity bits of NOW useless metal, colorful lanquage regarding SOMEONES Son, and a rapid spike in blood pressure often leading to convulsions and screaming at inanimate objects.

No artificial sucks need apply....when only the best SUCK will do!

;D

Dave

Steve, so far I've got one plug in my block, one in the sump, and 2 in the inlet manifold, and half an M2 tap stuck in the block, which will need sparking out.

Well the problem is fixed. It's not the greatest work that i have ever done but it wont be seen and will not effect the operation of the engine.

It is back together and I have the cam timing set. NOW I can get going on the distributor!!

Steve-

Way to bounce back. This is one of my "follow it everyday" threads. Like others, I eagerly await the completion of this engine.

Bob

Latest posts

Back