Simple oscilating engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casio

Reaction score
Hi guys! This is my first post and I'd like to say hello. My name is Adam and I'm a just a beginer in building engines. English is my second language, but I will be trying to avoid any technical language mistakes.

A few days ago I started building a simple oscilating engine. The piston diameter will be 19 mm ( ~0,75 inch) and about 1 inch stroke
I've decided to build this motor ass well as it is possible - using well fitted steel-bronze bearings. There is not too much to show yet, but lets post some pictures!

The piston axle is made of steel and bronze, the steel axle diameter is 8 mm (0,32 inch). It has 2 working surfaces, the "empty" place beetwen them works as a oil container. The axle has also 6 small oil grooves.

jg6tjk.jpg

And naked ;)
wam49u.jpg

The main axle is made of steel and bronze too, images shows it just after a few minutes of lapping. I don't know the exact name of such a bearing, but it could be called conical bearing? This is the same thing as in the old lathes in main spindle. It has no clearance because of the possibility of pulling one bearing closer to the second one using 2 nuts.

Just before connecting two parts (I did this that way to have a possibility to make bearing of a better stell)
6xzyjb.jpg

The whole bearing "inside". The steel part has 3 oil grooves on each side:
ei1avo.jpg

4uuedv.jpg

This is the main "body", not finished yet
s4cr3s.jpg

v5y2gz.jpg

Piston with axle (not soldered yet):

332rm6f.jpg

I bet somebody is going to ask about plans... Well, actually I dont have them (just a few simple hand-drawn sketches). All the dimensions I took from my old "engine", which I made a few years ago as a simple one-day project. Basically, I just multiplied all dimensions by 2 :rolleyes:
Here it is, my little fella:
1z5nedl.jpg

A very nice little engine, I'm sure we all would like to see a video of it running.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Your English is fine, your workmanship is superb (puts most of us to shame).

Welcome to the forum.

Jim

Hey, guys! I hope that you don't think, that the last picture in my previous post shows the engine built? I wouldnt dare to show such a horrid thing as my ended project! ;)
I just posted a picture of my old engine to give an example what I'm going to build.

This image shows it all, with a box of matches for scale
mutv9j.jpg

No I meant when it's finished we would love to see it run.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Hi, if you are using the steam, be sure to conserve the steam engine with conserving oil against rust after use. :)

Latest posts

Back