Show your neat stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mgbrv8 said:
The are expanding transfer punches. Now these are handy. They are made by the Kelly tool Co. I pick them up at the pate swap meet in TX years ago.

David

David,
Whats the chance of getting a photo of one of those taken apart?

;D

Dave

Dave ask politely and ye shale receive. Here you go Sir.

The punch has a piece of spring steel bent into a C shape to retain it in the bore.

David

Expanding trasnfer punches 001.jpg

Expanding trasnfer punches 002.jpg

Thinks! I wonder how many of those will be made in the next few weeks?
Ned

This is another interesting toll, automatic locking pliers made by Craftman.

Long.JPG

Short.JPG

Kel, I really like that little handy vice you made.
Something I definitely want to make.
Probably make one from whats lying around the shop, so no need for detailed drawings but any points worth mentioning on it's construction will be gratefully received!
yours
Peter

Peter, I don't really have any pointers to give, I just drew it up on paper and proceeded to make it. Tricky part is to get the jaws to close parallel to each other, so pay close attention to that with your drawings.

I would go with Marv's suggestion, that is, after all, the exact picture I used to design my own. I was thinking about making a set of drawings but I am not sure what the copyright and patents do. So I am not sure if it is even legal for me to sell one of these, or draw up plans.

Kel

This is another type of self aligning transfer punch that I am sure you have all seen and probably some own . The center core has a punch through it. It them has a spring loaded barrel that slides down the core to "tram" the punch in the bore that tapered core had aligned.

David

trasnfer punches 002.jpg

trasnfer punches 003.jpg

trasnfer punches 004.jpg

I have been requested by a few of you to show my precision drill press made by the Cameron tool company. I bought it at the cabin fever auction a few years ago from the John Gascoyne estate it was already heavly modified by Mr Gascoyne and I have made a number of modifications and refinements of my own. It has a Albrecht chuck from the factory. Its a really wonderful machine and works like a dream.

Dave

Caeron Drill press 001.jpg

Caeron Drill press 002.jpg

Caeron Drill press 006.jpg

Caeron Drill press 005.jpg

Ooh. I just gotta have those auto lock pliers. Not sure how they work tho. When u release grip do they stay locked? If so how do u " unlock" them.

TIA
HERBIE ???

mgbrv8 said:
Dave ask politely and ye shale receive. Here you go Sir.

The punch has a piece of spring steel bent into a C shape to retain it in the bore.

David

Thanks Bud!

Dave

Here is a neat hand knurling tool. It could be easily made from a old c-clamp or modify a old pipe cutter or bullet, but they pop up on eBay quite often. Its a handy thing to have when you cant get the part to a lathe, you have a pulley loose, need a tighter press fit, or need better grip on something. I thought I would share. Also Knurlcraft still makes them but are very proud of them.

David

hand knurler 001.jpg

hand knurler 002.jpg

hand knurler 003.jpg

hand knurler 004.jpg

Kel
Thanks for the tip about keeping the jaws parallel. That's just the sort of pointer I was after.
left to my own devices, I wouldn't have thought of that.
once again thanks
peter

Dunno if this is particularly unusual or not, but it's the only one I've ever seen:

square%20004.jpg

It's just a 12" steel square, right? But look at the divisions on the outside scales; the quarters are divided into thirds, or 12ths of an inch. On the other side it's the expected 8ths. It is marked "AETNA 141, MADE IN USA". I've had it forever, don't recall where I got it.

Anybody got any idea what it's for?

As if sixteenths of an inch weren't bad enough, now we've got twelfths of an inch. What's next, elevenths, thirteenths, etc.?

Quick, what's

5/12 + 9/16

no calculators allowed.

47/48 wait a minute while I divide the ruler into 48ths

dgjessing said:
Anybody got any idea what it's for?

Measuring dozens of thousands, maybe? The imperial system makes my head dizzy! scratch.gif

dgjessing said:
It's just a 12" steel square, right? But look at the divisions on the outside scales; the quarters are divided into thirds, or 12ths of an inch. On the other side it's the expected 8ths. It is marked "AETNA 141, MADE IN USA". I've had it forever, don't recall where I got it.

It might have been for a printer's layout - 12pt was a common character pitch. I used to have rulers that laid things out like that (betch I've got them somewhere - I've misplaced something like that but never tossed it out).

Latest posts

Back