Show your neat stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgjessing said:
Dunno if this is particularly unusual or not, but it's the only one I've ever seen:

It's just a 12" steel square, right? But look at the divisions on the outside scales; the quarters are divided into thirds, or 12ths of an inch. On the other side it's the expected 8ths. It is marked "AETNA 141, MADE IN USA". I've had it forever, don't recall where I got it.

Anybody got any idea what it's for?

Old English scales 1" : 1ft, 3/4" : 1 ft, 3/8" : 1ft.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

you know, lots of roofers work to pitch measured in run/12

8/12 pitch....that may be a framers square...it's easy to set pitch on the end of a roofing joist by measuring 8 on one leg and 12 on the other.

Dave

HS93 said:
I tried to buy one but they wont accept payment on paypal from out of the US

Peter
There are several Russian versions like that on ebay for around the same price.

steamer said:
you know, lots of roofers work to pitch measured in run/12

8/12 pitch....that may be a framers square...it's easy to set pitch on the end of a roofing joist by measuring 8 on one leg and 12 on the other.

Dave

Hey - that's gotta be it! (Makes perfect sense anyway :))

I have a book entitled the steel square AKA framing square it mentions the 12th scale
Tin

Found it!

This reference...

http://www.residentialubc1233.com/tools/framing_square-carpenter_square.php

says:

The twelfth scale is commonly used for right triangle solutions without computation. The chief purpose of the twelfth scale is to provide shortcuts in problem solving with the framing square. Since the inch is divided into 12 parts, it allows the carpenter to reduce a problem to 1/12 size by allowing the graduations on tie scale to represent 1", i. e., 7 5/12" may be taken to represent 7 feet, 5 inches.

YUP...good for laying out stair frames too!

I also use a product called a "speed square"....it's the little triangular ones with a lip on one edge.

Very useful if you know how to drive it....

Dave

Now if you guys ever see a chance to buy a set of these for a fair price, buy them. They are called kopal clamps they are absolutely fantastic. They are wonderful for holding anything down I love them. As a side project I have been working on some miniature version of them also.

this site has some good details on how they work
http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/MonoBloc.html

David

kopal clamp.jpg

kopal clamp (1).jpg

Diatest bore measuring indicator. This set measures bores from 0.057 to 0.830 with direct reading of 0.0001 inch. Great for measuring bellmouth and barrel distortions when lapping cylinders and for getting upper cylinder taper correct for pinch off of piston on small compression ignition engines. And it really simplifies fitting pistons to bores as I am never too sure about my technique using split ball and telescoping gauges and measuring with a micrometer.

They want insane amounts of money for a set like this, but by buying several incomplete sets over a 7 or 8 year period at salvage prices I managed to get this complete set put together.

Gail in NM

Diatest-0001.jpg

Diatest-0002.jpg

Diatest-0003.jpg

Diatest-0004.jpg

Cool Gail.......but now I have something else to collect!.... ;D

Dave

Gail! That is a very neat set of tools.

I have no idea how to use it, but I find I want one anyway. ;)

Thanks for sharing! :D

That is a really nice set Gail. I love measuring tools, and collect them as much as I can.

Here are a couple e-bay finds I really enjoy. Not really unusual but can be hard to find.

This first one is a Biddle mechanical tachometer dated to the early 60's There are quite a few of these, but this one is a little different. It is switchable in five different zones from 30 RPM all the way up 100,000 RPM. It has very little friction, even my twin flame eater can turn it. My other mechanical tachs have a too much resistance for it.

CIMG2415.jpg

It came with a vial of some of the stinkiest oil I have ever had the pleasure to smell. What would this oil be? What would be a good subsitute?

Here is an item that is great if you don't value your hair.

CIMG2414.jpg

Ya, this don't get used a hole lot.

Kel

Now that Starrett Dial master is what I call accurate.

Dave

Not sure how I forgot this. It's an unusual caliper from Mitutoyo, long out of production. It allows measurement across components offset in angle. Here it looks like a pretty regular caliper:

mitutoyo_190-101_01.jpg

And here it's setup for some offset measurement:

mitutoyo_190-101_02.jpg

Some additional point mount to the jaws to make them into precision calipers or compasses, the dingus at the top make it a height gage or acts as a scriber, etc. Kind of neat. Mitutoyo 190-101. I never did find a manual for it, just a single page from the catalog.

Latest posts

Back