Show your neat stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take it you will be cutting a lot of GEARS....?

;D

Yea I do crack myself up sometimes....... ::)

mgbrv8 said:
I have been requested by a few of you to show my precision drill press made by the Cameron tool company. I bought it at the cabin fever auction a few years ago from the John Gascoyne estate it was already heavly modified by Mr Gascoyne and I have made a number of modifications and refinements of my own. It has a Albrecht chuck from the factory. Its a really wonderful machine and works like a dream.

Dave

I have a Cameron drill press 164. I need to get the motor fixed. I got it out of the trash at work about 15 years ago the brushes where shot. I put in new ones and it ran for a few years. Now it throws a lot of sparks and no power.Took the motor to a couple of motor shops put thy won't touch something that small.

Dave
I have a similar spot welder that was used for gold soldering Eye Glasses.

That Dental light is sweet!

I take it you will be cutting a lot of GEARS....?

Okay, I'll bite. Dentist's cutting gears? gears are slang for teeth? ???

Edit: Because gears have teeth! man am I slow...

Somebody at work just gave me these;

Laser Guided Scissors!!

Laser%252520Guided%252520Scissors%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

Now I have no more excuses for cutting out nonparallel shims and crooked gaskets. :big:

They even have calibration screws so you can dial-in a perfect, laser-aligned, cut.

They remind me of Lee Valley's annual April Fool's Day tools.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/Search.aspx?action=n -search for "afd"

When my Dad (a serious pack rat) passed away a few years ago, among his tools I found a number of antique measuring and layout tools, as well as a few journeyman projects. This example is my favorite.

The tool is some form of early caliper. Stamped on the rear is a name and patent date, "A. E. Whitmore", 1869... see the last photo. A google search reveals a Remington firearms designer as being the likely creator.

Photo 1 - the caliper is of high quality and has some of the finest convex instrument knurling that I have ever seen. The jaw to the right is moveable, while the jaw to the left has a very short range of 0.025", actuated via the knurled adjustment on the left. To use the caliper, the right jaw is positioned first, and the left jaw then does the final, finer movement. The jaws themselves are hemispheres for internal (bores) and external measurement. The jaws are stepped, with the major OD being 0.400", and at the tip, 0.200"

cal01.jpg

On the spine of the body are a series of precision notches. When the right jaw is positioned and then tightened, that jaw is locked in place via these notches, spaced every 0.025". Note the micrometer barrel on the left jaw.

cal02.jpg

The name and patent date.

cal03.jpg

I was excited to find that "A. E. Whitmore" was an early gunsmith. 1869 was in the heart of the era when firearms were beginning to be mass-produced with interchangeable parts, rather than hand-fitted. Like many old measuring tools, this caliper has a fit and finish, and overall feel, that is very pleasing.

Along with these calipers, the journeymen's projects are really interesting. What I was told was that to "graduate" from school, the student had to execute some sort of tooling that exhibits high accuracy, fit, and finish. Common projects were precision insert vises, die holders, scribes and trammels, stuff like that, and usually stamped with the maker's name. I'll try to take some pictures of these.

I love the detail on the those old measuring tools. They are very jewelery like.

Thank you for sharing

David

KustomKB said:
That Dental light is sweet!

Okay, I'll bite. Dentist's cutting gears? gears are slang for teeth? ???

Edit: Because gears have teeth! man am I slow...

Somebody at work just gave me these;

Laser Guided Scissors!!

Laser%252520Guided%252520Scissors%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

Now I have no more excuses for cutting out nonparallel shims and crooked gaskets. :big:

They even have calibration screws so you can dial-in a perfect, laser-aligned, cut.

They remind me of Lee Valley's annual April Fool's Day tools.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/Search.aspx?action=n -search for "afd"

Yup...

I know .....to easy....

Dave

Latest posts

Back