Show your neat stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgbrv8

Reaction score
I am a mechanical engineer and a prototype fabricator by trade. I have my own one man shop and lots of unique tools. I have always found that the tools of yesteryear are unique and very useful. And unfortunately those tools aren't made any more. I am and would like for others to post pictures of those unique tools that we all have so it would benefit all of us.

The first thing I am going to post is my micro telescoping gauges made by the Moore & Wright tool company of Sheffield England all four range from .012-.15". They have been invaluable over the years and have paid for themselves ten times over.

photo.php

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32754867&l=ac183d1768&id=1439230280

Dave

telescoping guages 002a.jpg

That is neat, would love to see a cutaway drawing of them. ::)

Hi Dave. Cant see pictures. Keep getting directed to another site :'(

Herbiev said:
Hi Dave. Cant see pictures. Keep getting directed to another site :'(

How is that? ;D

Now don't be afraid to share what you have gentlemen

Dave

Fixed now. Probably something i did. Small Iphone and fat fingers ???

Hi Herbie,
If you are down my way some time I can show you the the real thing. Hardly ever use them these days but when the case arrises they are invaluable.

Barry G

Probably the most unique tool I have is this angle gauge that came with some other tooling when I bought my 11" Logan lathe. It was in a box with some drills, endmills and miscellaneous 'stuff'. I cleaned it up and checked it out. It's extremely accurate what with the vernier scale on it but I have no idea what I would ever use it for.
gbritnell
VERNPROT1.jpg

VERNPROT2.jpg

VERNPROT3.jpg

VERNPROT5.jpg

Wow gbritnell that is really neat. Very nice build quality. And it looks like you did a really nice job fixing it up.

Dave

It's hard to tell from the distortion of the camera lens but the beam that the vernier level rides on has a curve to it. That way you can divide up the degrees into minutes.
gbritnell

That would come in handy for Millwright work I think George. Set ups on machines too.

Dave

I know bore mics aren't that interesting but this little guy always gets me out of a bind. It will go into places and get dimensions were no other consistent measuring tool can go. It was made by Brown & Sharp circa 1930s. That's all I know about it besides it constantly being so handy, I wouldn't trade this little guy for the world. I really appreciate the reposes so far, I want this to be a reference for those that are new to machining. Knowing about these tools can open new doors both in mindset and in projects for all of us.

Dave

micro bore guage2.jpg

micro bore guage2.jpg

Over the years I have been buying these wonderful bore gages. Read in .00025" increments, each gage has a narrow range, this one is .125, larger sizes read .250 range, bigger sizes have jaw sets that swap out to double range to .500.

This is the 1/2" size

Shoptricks016.jpg

If any of our European friends have parts for these fine tools drop me a note, please.

MachineTom said:
Over the years I have been buying these wonderful bore gages. Read in .00025" increments, each gage has a narrow range, this one is .125, larger sizes read .250 range, bigger sizes have jaw sets that swap out to double range to .500.

This is the 1/2" size

Shoptricks016.jpg

If any of our European friends have parts for these fine tools drop me a note, please.

I love those they are really handy.

Dave

kvom said:
medium.jpg

Gadget for cleaning clogged sewer pipes, courtesy of UPS mixing up broken package contents. ;)

Kvom I have to know how did UPS cause this?

Dave

I had ordered a bumper latch, but when the package came it had this gadget in it. Seems several packages broke open and the driver tried to figure out which item went in which package, and then taped them up. Shipper got a refund and I kept this thing; later on figured out what it is.

Here's a handy little tool that I haven't seen too often - a Starrett 118 spacing punch. I use this to set out rivets on areas that I can't use a jig or other mask to mark them, just scribe a line from the edge and follow it with the punch, placing the spring loaded foot into the previous punch mark.

(I can't see the attachment in edit, here's the same image on my web server: http://www.kepler-eng.com/images/starrett_118_punch.jpg )

starrett_118_punch.jpg

These are starrett taper gauges. They are accurate within 0.001". Great for tight places or comparing parts etc.

Dave

TaperGuages (1)a.jpg

This is a interesting hole gauge I also use it for groves on occasion I have a set of three that go from .015"-.75". I got the first one in a box of things in a auction and I wondered "when will I ever use this thing". Well to my surprise it was handy so i kept my eye out for more.

Dave

Hole guage a.jpg

Hole guage (1) a.jpg

Back